Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-21-2008, 11:54 AM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I am wanting to install an inverter in our motorhome. After a lot of research I have just about decided on the Xantrex XM1000 Pro Series. It seems to have features I (including an automatic transfer switch) and very importantly I have found a source for purchase at $170.
Just wanted to check in and see if anybody has used this unit and get any thoughts or suggestions about it.
I will appreciate any and all reviews, thoughts, commects, etc.
Thanks,

2004 Winnebago Brave 32v on W20 w/8.1L and Allison
Capt Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2008, 11:54 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I am wanting to install an inverter in our motorhome. After a lot of research I have just about decided on the Xantrex XM1000 Pro Series. It seems to have features I (including an automatic transfer switch) and very importantly I have found a source for purchase at $170.
Just wanted to check in and see if anybody has used this unit and get any thoughts or suggestions about it.
I will appreciate any and all reviews, thoughts, commects, etc.
Thanks,

Old 11-21-2008, 02:00 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hi Captain,

I tried to install a Xantrex 2000 watt inverter in my rig.

It was a total failure. I was trying to run a small freezer/refrigerator (1.6 cu ft). It burned both units up. The freezer went first and then the inverter. Motors do not like the modified sine wave power. I replaced both units and went to a 1000 Watt pure sine wave Cotek inverter (about $460)-- It works great. The Xantrex might work well with TV's, computers etc. The low price would get my attention. Make sure you size the power input cables properly, and go to larger diameter (lower number) cables, if you can.

Others will ring in on this issue I'm sure-

Good luck,
Old 11-21-2008, 06:46 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hey Max,
Thanks for your imput. Sorry you had the problems with your initial installation.

I don't plan on running much more than TV's, DVD's, computers, chargers and the like so I believe the MSW inverter should be fine.

I plan on mounting the inverter in a cabinet just to the left as you come up the steps in our motorhome. With the house batteries (2 6V in series) under the steps, it will only be about a 3 or 4 foot run and I plan on using a #2 wire as called for in the instruction manual (the XM1800 watt model calls for a 2/0 cable but I plan to use the XM1000. I'll also put a breaker and disconnect into the 12v positive line.

Then, with both the AC and DC breaker panels being located in an adjoining cabinet, it should be a pretty easy wiring job to take the AC imput from the 15A breaker that controls the front and rear TV's as well as a couple of 115V duplex plugs and use it as the AC imput to the inverter. There is a 25A automatic transfer switch on this model so it will automatically pass through whenever I have either shore power or generator power available. Of course, then, I will hook the AC out from the inverter back to the 15A breaker where I had removed the AC power lines to hook into the AC imput of the inverter.

Sound like a good plan to you. I think I've thought it through. Please let me know...or anyone else too...if I have an error in my plan. I want to do it right.

Thanks in advance,

Old 11-22-2008, 01:04 AM   #5
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Capt. Joe, a lot of chargers do not like a modified sine wave inverter either. They will charge but not shut down properly; overcharging the battery pack and causing damage to it and/or the charger.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 04:26 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
MIke,
Thanks for your input.
I didn't specify in my last post but the charging I am talking about would be for cell phones, laptop, etc. Would that be the same possible problem as you were referring to in your post?
Other than that (and I could do a lot of that via a 12V charger although I would prefer to charge my cell phones via their AC chargers), do you see any stumbling blocks in my installation plans?
Thanks again,

Old 11-23-2008, 01:31 AM   #7
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
I know the cell phone chargers of a few years ago were a problem. It could be different now but I doubt it. The lap top is not a problem when you are using it, but I unplugged mine when I shut it down. Contact the manufacturer of the cell phone and run the modified sine wave 120 volt power supply into the charger scenario by them and see if it is still an issue.
The other choice would be to step up to a pure sine wave inverter and not worry about the issue. Let us know what you find out and decide to do.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 05:16 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Capt Joe. I have a dedicated circuit I installed a few years ago in the Motorhome, just for the entertainment equipment, (TV, DVD, Direct TV Box. The circuit is powered by a Xantrex modified sine wave inverter. On a recent extended trip in the motorhome, I used this circuit to power my new Toshiba laptop computer, with the charger connected between the circuit and the computer. The charger got very warm after half an hour of computer use. The computer worked as usual, charger just generated way too much heat on modified sine wave inverter. After investigating a little farther, I found the new flat screen TV I installed last spring runs unusually warm also.
I Checked voltage at both batteries, and AC circuit power, both are OK. I think the charger, and the TV do not like modified sine wave AC power. I plan on shopping for a pure sine wave replacement inverter. I have no expierience with the cell phone charger, as I just use the DC battery port to charge it.

Dieselclacker
Old 11-26-2008, 03:28 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hi DC-

Just a little more info--

I was walking through Sears yesterday and the TV section always attracts me. The TV'v were in a confined corner of the store, with a narrow aisle, and LCD TV's facing each other-- all running. It was hotter than the devil could stand. It was real noticable to all folks present.

The LCD's just generate a bunch of heat, even on "shore" power.