Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-29-2012, 10:57 AM   #1

Foretravel Owners Club
Xtreme Fuel Treatment

I was given some samples of this product by a friend who claims I will get 10 to 15% better mileage if I use it. I have researched the internet and found, as I expected, that the mileage improvement claimed by the manufacturer are suspect. Has anyone tried this product? If so, what were your results? I am not sure I want to try it.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-29-2012, 11:54 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I tried it and went from 7.5 mpg to 35 mpg! It's a miracle!
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 11:56 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Hi chasmatt,
Other than MPG, does the product do anything you would benefit from? Could you measure the benefit?
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 10:19 PM   #4

Foretravel Owners Club
The manufacturer makes a lot of claims on their website, but claims are easy to make, and sometimes hard to prove. I am very hesitant to try this stuff until I know a lot more about the product.
Old 03-30-2012, 10:37 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
You've probably heard the old statement "if it sounds to good to be true it probably is".....This stuff might give some boost in performance but whats it doing to the engine in the long term?....I've seen forums where RV owners tuned their engines and enjoyed some boost in performance but later reported engine problems. I would sit back and check the internet for reviews. JMHO
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 10:45 PM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
A 2 oz. bottle costs $32 and treats 160 gal. of fuel. That's $2,048 per gallon! Makes $4 a gallon fuel sound cheap!

By the way, you can buy direct OR participate in a multi-level sales scheme where you recruit others to sell and you earn commission. SHADES of Amway and vitamin scams!!!

TNSTAAFL (There's no such thing as a free lunch!)

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 07:48 AM   #7

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Salesman told me he got about 8 more miles to the tank but could now use mid grade instead of premium. Problem is there are a bunch of products out there that make the same claims and produce similar results. Unless a product can save me enough gas to cover costs of it's use and still save me at the pump I am not interested.
Old 03-31-2012, 09:51 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by campclan
Salesman told me he got about 8 more miles to the tank but could now use mid grade instead of premium. Problem is there are a bunch of products out there that make the same claims and produce similar results. Unless a product can save me enough gas to cover costs of it's use and still save me at the pump I am not interested.
The only chemical compound that can allow you to use a lower grade (octane) fuel, is an octane "booster". There are certainly plenty of these products out there that are well proven and produced by reputable companies.

And yes they work to reduce spark knock by increasing the octane of the fuel, if you used a lower grade fuel to begin with. However, we are talking high compression engines.

As far as RV use, there is not a gas RV out there with a high compression engine, or that needs anything over 87 octane. Putting anything higher or boosting it is a waste of money. Also, doing this can also hurt performance and reduce mpg.

This coupled with the fact you earn a commision on selling this stuff for the mfg, it's nothing but snake oil!
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 08:05 PM   #9

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyon51

The only chemical compound that can allow you to use a lower grade (octane) fuel, is an octane "booster". There are certainly plenty of these products out there that are well proven and produced by reputable companies.

And yes they work to reduce spark knock by increasing the octane of the fuel, if you used a lower grade fuel to begin with. However, we are talking high compression engines.

As far as RV use, there is not a gas RV out there with a high compression engine, or that needs anything over 87 octane. Putting anything higher or boosting it is a waste of money. Also, doing this can also hurt performance and reduce mpg.

This coupled with the fact you earn a commision on selling this stuff for the mfg, it's nothing but snake oil!
Lol I told the guy I wasn't interested in oiling a snake.
Old 03-31-2012, 08:22 PM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
MLM company...

Quote:
I just got pitched to "take advantage of a business opportunity" that will only cost me two hundred bucks, but will increase my gas mileage by two thousand bucks! What a deal, huh?! The product is SYNTEK fuel additive and apparently it was found in the archives of some Nazi secret chemical research laboratory by the Mossad or something along those lines...... Does anyone have any information on this "Before the ground floor, heck, before the cornerstone" opportunity?
Any information on Syntek fuel additive?

Xtreme Fuel Treatment
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 08:48 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasmatt View Post
I was given some samples of this product by a friend who claims I will get 10 to 15% better mileage if I use it. I have researched the Internet and found, as I expected, that the mileage improvement claimed by the manufacturer are suspect. Has anyone tried this product? If so, what were your results? I am not sure I want to try it.
Remember "Steed"? It was billed as a liquid miracle in a can.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 08:52 PM   #12

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
This scam has been going on across the globe for decades, people have even written about it:

http://books.google.com/books?id=AYx...page&q&f=false
"Firepower - the most spectacular fraud in Australian History"

"There was nothing new or particularly secret about ferrocene, A harvard chemist had discovered it in 1953, and it had caused a lot of excitement in the scientific community for its remarkable properties. It showed great potential as an anti-knock agent, or octane enhancer in fuel. At one point it was seen as a realistic replacement for lead in gas.
But several problems soon emerged, ferrocene laced fuel often left deposits on sparkplugs, catalysts and other exhaust system parts.
But what concerned engineers most was that the present of iron oxide in the vehicles lubrication sytem often led to premature wear of critical engine componants such as the pistons and the rings. In short the addition of ferrocene to fuel could slowly destroy an engine"

This crap is 60 years old and universally regarded as dangerous to cars...
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 09:37 PM   #13

Foretravel Owners Club
Thanks for the information. This sure helped me make my decision. I'll be returning the samples to my friend, and explain why he should not be using it in his pickup truck.
Old 04-03-2012, 11:21 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyon51 View Post
As far as RV use, there is not a gas RV out there with a high compression engine, or that needs anything over 87 octane. Putting anything higher or boosting it is a waste of money.
IMHO that statement isn't completely correct, but not from an Octane point of view.

In most places Premium fuel has no Ethanol in it. By fueling up with Ethanol-free fuel you eliminate some risks to the engine and boost performance back up to pre-ethanol levels.

In 'real world' numbers this can translate into as much as a 20% boost.

Tags
fuel