Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-01-2012, 10:24 AM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgscott4 View Post
You could put these on. They work great, Every time I stop for gas, I can just look and know that my inner and outer tire pressures are good.

Amazon.com: crossfire tire equalizer

So if you get a leak in one tire you now have 2 flats?? Not being smart just asking.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2012, 10:24 AM   #16

No, they have a check valve that moves to keep the air in the other tire.

My extensions have SS support brackets that are held on by the decorative cover nuts.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 10:38 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanJH View Post
I suggest you forget teh idea of extenstions because they will leak.. either now or later. Spend a few buck and get Borg Dually valves. Dually valve kits for Motor-homes, Busses and 6-wheeled chassis

When you consider the cost of replacing a tire that you ruined to the cost of the new valves and installation, you are way better off with the valves... plus the safety and convenience aspects
I try to be a firm believer in "Do it right the first time" In my experience, it sometimes saves time and money. The cost of a tire, and the damage it could do, should out weigh the expense of the system to prevent it. I'm just a cheap SOB I guess...
PirateCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:30 AM   #18

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateCamper View Post
I try to be a firm believer in "Do it right the first time" In my experience, it sometimes saves time and money. The cost of a tire, and the damage it could do, should out weigh the expense of the system to prevent it. I'm just a cheap SOB I guess...
I agree with you folks.
When I replaced my tires at seven years I had the Dually Valves installed.
Sure wish I had done it years ago. It is so easy to add and check the air now.

My coach came with the braided extensions and worked okay except it was difficult to hold the extension and add air at the same time. Awkward and tiring for me.
Also leaky braided ones on my last motor home cost me two tires so I was also always a little nervous about the ones on this one.
Old 10-01-2012, 03:29 PM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
No, they have a check valve that moves to keep the air in the other tire.

My extensions have SS support brackets that are held on by the decorative cover nuts.

Found this later

Blowouts and leaks

Crossfire employs a safety feature that automatically isolates the "good" tire in the event of a blowout. When a blowout occurs, the internal safety valve closes immediately with only a slight loss of pressure to the "good" tire.

In slow leak situations, the valve isolates both tires after a pressure drop of approximately 10 P.S.I.
Old 10-01-2012, 03:41 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanJH View Post
I suggest you forget teh idea of extenstions because they will leak.. either now or later. Spend a few buck and get Borg Dually valves. Dually valve kits for Motor-homes, Busses and 6-wheeled chassis

When you consider the cost of replacing a tire that you ruined to the cost of the new valves and installation, you are way better off with the valves... plus the safety and convienence aspects
6 weeks after purchase of new coach, the Borgs were installed. There are just too many horror stories on extensions. Mine came with extensions from the factory and first time I checked pressure, one of the inside dullies had a stripped extension. Could not check air and could not get it off!

For what we pay to purchase these monsters, I find the cost of doing it right the 1st time a very small investment.
Old 10-01-2012, 03:52 PM   #21

Brockx, I think that same statement can be found on Crossfire's web site. Sounds like something I read before.
Old 10-01-2012, 06:19 PM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
Brockx, I think that same statement can be found on Crossfire's web site. Sounds like something I read before.
That is where found it, wanted to see how a equalizer would keep one tire up. Still don't understand how it accepts a 10# slow leak differential and meets the other claims. Just a curious guy, my curse .
Old 10-01-2012, 07:15 PM   #23

Ever heard of f magic?
Old 10-01-2012, 07:39 PM   #24

Quote:
OR drop $120 bucks on a complete set of valve stem extensions AND PAY ANOTHER $90 TO HAVE THEM INSTALLED???? YOU ARE KIDDING ME, RIGHT?
So, you have $3000 to $4000 worth of tires, and an extra $200 seems extravagant? I bought Dually valves and paid to have them installed. Checking tire pressure takes no time and I hardly have to bend over. I run a TPMS sytem on the valve stems and have to add a couple of pounds of air every spring.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:47 PM   #25

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzick View Post
I run a TPMS sytem on the valve stems and have to add a couple of pounds of air every spring.
WHAT!!!

You haven't been taking out the winter air to add the spring air?!!!!!!!!!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:40 PM   #26

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
WHAT!!!

You haven't been taking out the winter air to add the spring air?!!!!!!!!!
Thanks for reminding me.

I also was informed when I went to California and they saw the Georgia plates that I was supposed to release the good humid air and refill with the dirty dry air to help out Californians.

I also had the dually valve stems installed and they are well worth the money. I also have the flow thru valve caps and I can check the air pressure without having to remove them.

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:05 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateCamper View Post
I installed the 135 degree valve stem extensions I purchased form Camping World yesterday and they both leak!

They are made by Wheel Masters. I got the first one finger tight, and some air was coming out, I expected that. I got the wrench on it and got it tight, still leaking. I went another 1/3 of a turn and the tire stem was trying to turn, still leaking. Took that one off, put the other one on, same thing. The rubber washers are in both of them. Now, I'm afraid to install the 4 inch extensions on the inside duals.

So, I sit hear still fuming about the fact I have a vehicle that I can not check the air pressure on! I have purchased three different air gauges and none are long enough or hooked enough to get on these @#$%& valve stems!

So, now, I can either drive to a tire shop and PAY somebody to check my air, OR drop $120 bucks on a complete set of valve stem extensions AND PAY ANOTHER $90 TO HAVE THEM INSTALLED???? YOU ARE KIDDING ME, RIGHT?

The seller installed new tires on this thing when they brought it to SC from Florida. THE TIRE SHOP INSTALLED THE DUAL WHEELS WITH THE STOCK, SHORT, VALVE STEMS!
Hey Pirate,
I put the Flexible extensions (from CW) on my rig and they work just like they are supposed to. I had one that leaked off the bat but came to find out it was a case of the "Installer" was brain dead. After some serious thinking, and tightening the extension properly, problem solved. It is just a piece of man made stuff. If man made it, man can fix it.

Good Luck
Old 10-04-2012, 07:57 AM   #28

This morning and see what they offer. I'll post the results. I plan on installIng something very soon.

PirateCamper is offline   Reply With Quote