Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-04-2012, 08:18 AM   #29
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Here is the one key thing nobody has mentioned!

I too have the braided stainless valve extentions. For months now, after having them installed, I had one leaking all the time. Never had an issue up till that point. Had to add air almost every other day. Invented a few new swear words when addressing the shop that installed them for me. If any of you saw recently, I just went through a buying spree to purchase a compressor over this bullsh*t and then it dawned on me........did I ever check the valve in the extention itself?

I borrowed a valve tool and sure enough!!!!! a few turns and the inner valve was tight. Hasn't lost a psi in days!!!!!

Worth checking!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2012, 08:31 AM   #30

Patch, you can make a valve core tool with parts you should have laying around or in a tire store parking lot or trash can. All you need is a old rubber stem and one of those caps that have the tip used to install valve cores. Take some pliers and convince it that it's staying on the rubber stem. If you're not strong enough for that, use some Loctite.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:38 AM   #31
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Ya I know. My dad taught me that years ago! I have been looking for the old silver slotted valve cap for years. They don't make them anymore. Just the black plastic is all I've seen.

Interesting about the loose valve though!
Old 10-04-2012, 09:02 AM   #32

They are not allowed in Canada. Something about weapons laws.
Old 10-04-2012, 06:47 PM   #33

I talked to a gentleman this morning who has been working on heavy truck tires for over 50 years. His advice to me was to get something and grind or cut a notch in the fake wheel cover to allow access to the outside dual valve stem using the long straight & 45 degree pressure gauge I already have, and it will work on the inside dual straight valve stem too.

His only recommendation was to install the Myers "Alligator" Y2B valve stem caps. He said they give some extra length and they keep everything clean.

He also said the two valve stems on dual wheels are supposed to be 180 degrees apart or within no more than two lug holes apart. This helps the balance. He said the dually extensions are nice and will work, until they fail like any extension will. He said they all eventually fail and always at the worst possible time. Regular stems will last far longer.

They will pull my dual wheels and install the Myers caps, when I find them, adjust my air PSI and mount the outside dual 180 degrees from the inside for $20 per side.

So, for for around $50 bucks and a minor wheel cover mod, and I'll be in business. The happy Pirate dance!
PirateCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:46 PM   #34
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
They are not allowed in Canada. Something about weapons laws.
Old 10-05-2012, 09:07 AM   #35

One could get the impression that these Meyers valve stem caps are like gold nuggets!

I have called 4 places in Columbia, SC, the capitol of my state, heavy truck tire shops on nearly every corner, and everyone that has them wants to sell me 50!

What the hell can I do with 50?

As I was ranting to a friend here at work, he called a friend and got me 6 for free, I hope they are the right ones. Fingers crossed!
Old 10-05-2012, 09:11 AM   #36

I know! I know, says Dunner as he waves at the teacher. Fill in the blanks. ______ __ _______ ___.
Old 10-05-2012, 09:25 AM   #37

I tried the the valve extensions, they all leaked. I went to Les Schwab, where the tires came from, and had long metal valve stems installed on the inside duals, didn't cost me a dime.
Afubar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 03:08 PM   #38

Well, I just went and picked up the six "Alligator" caps, they are not marked but look exactly like the pictures of the other caps. Free, can't beat the price.

So, I'll see how they work this weekend. I'll grind a clearance notch in the wheel cover too. I want the tire ordeal behind me!
Old 10-05-2012, 04:57 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateCamper View Post
I talked to a gentleman this morning who has been working on heavy truck tires for over 50 years. His advice to me was to get something and grind or cut a notch in the fake wheel cover to allow access to the outside dual valve stem using the long straight & 45 degree pressure gauge I already have, and it will work on the inside dual straight valve stem too.

His only recommendation was to install the Myers "Alligator" Y2B valve stem caps. He said they give some extra length and they keep everything clean.

He also said the two valve stems on dual wheels are supposed to be 180 degrees apart or within no more than two lug holes apart. This helps the balance. He said the dually extensions are nice and will work, until they fail like any extension will. He said they all eventually fail and always at the worst possible time. Regular stems will last far longer.

They will pull my dual wheels and install the Myers caps, when I find them, adjust my air PSI and mount the outside dual 180 degrees from the inside for $20 per side.

So, for for around $50 bucks and a minor wheel cover mod, and I'll be in business. The happy Pirate dance!
Cutting or grinding the wheel cover should be an absolute last resort. Normally they are thin sheet metal. The holes are punched in leaving some material bent as a radius around the hole. The radius is what gives the metal sufficient strength not to tear or flex. Once the radius is removed the wheel cover will in all likelyhood crack.

As for the braided extensions leaking take a look inside the female end with a flashlight. Most have an o ring at the back that seals against the threaded end of the valve stem. If the o ring isn't lubricated before installation it has a tendency to roll or fold allowing air to escape. Take a Q tip with a little dish soap and lightly swab the inside before installation. The o ring will stay in place and seal correctly.

We had braided extensions on our motorhome for over 95,000 miles and they never leaked. We recently added a TPMS so the flexible extensions had to be replaced with rigid steel ones.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:09 PM   #40

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
We've had the flexible stainless steel extensions for 7 years with no problems.
Chuck&Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:22 AM   #41
Commercial Member

Have to wonder what the various RV or tire dealers say when you ask them to show you how to check the air in the tires they sold you. Or in the case of CW you might park right out front and say you need them to show you what you are doing wrong with the install of the extenders.

I have been running steel braided hoses on the rears since 4/08 with zero leaks. I do have the outer ends bolted down and when checking pressure I don't just press against the hose end, I support the bracket so I am not overloading it.

RE bolt in valves leaking. There are torque specs which are not particularly high as you are not clamping metal to metal but you have an O-ring you are compressing. Over tightening can be as much of a problem as not tight enough. Same with valve cores. Some info on valves hereRV Tire Safety: Tire Valves - Not just those little rubber things
In the graphic of the valve core there is a small black gasket which can be split if you over tighten the core. All the extenders should have pliable rubber seals. If you get a leak and a 1/4 turn past finger tight doesn't stop the leak you might have an old dried out rubber gasket.
Old 10-06-2012, 12:18 PM   #42

My SS stems are held in place with these.