Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-06-2012, 12:22 PM   #43

Please take no offense, I do appreciate the advice on the sheet metal, I have been working with metal professionally for the last 16 years or so. The company I currently work for sells all manner abrasives and I CNC manufacture various wheels and other shapes that are then diamond coated to grind different geometry into materials like carbide, brake pads and even other grinding wheels just to name a few. CAD/CAM drafter, machinist. (Computer Assisted Design/Computer Assisted Machining)

I brought home a one inch diameter x 3 inch long aluminum oxide grinding wheel that I'll use to grind a clearance notch for the head of the gauge to fit into, like the notch that is already in the front wheel cover. The structural integrity of the wheel cover will not be affected by this small round notch. The notch will actually be in the large radius and will have plenty of support.

The notch will be round, not square, so there will be no sharp corner for a crack to start in. My wheel covers appear to be stainless steel, so rust will not be a problem either.

I failed to mention in the original post I did lubricate the rubber washers of the 135 degree extensions with water as there was a slight drizzle of rain when I put them on. I did get them on snug, and made tiny adjustments after the seal made contact with the stem. They still leaked. Both of them.

Future plans are for some sort of air management system. Like "cat eyes" or maybe electronic. At this point, I just want to be able to check it myself.

I also agree with the point made earlier, there are a couple of thousand dollars worth of tires on this beast, so I should not quibble over a couple hundred dollars. Not to mention the amount of damage a shredding tire could do to the coach! This damage is probably not covered by insurance either.

Keep it coming, I do appreciate all the info!

PirateCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-06-2012, 12:24 PM   #44

I'll post pictures of before and after this for reference.

Old 10-06-2012, 01:00 PM   #45
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
My previous coach had notches ground out of the stainless wheel cover for air nozzle. No issue whatsoever.
Old 10-06-2012, 01:13 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateCamper View Post
I brought home a one inch diameter x 3 inch long aluminum oxide grinding wheel that I'll use to grind a clearance notch for the head of the gauge to fit into, like the notch that is already in the front wheel cover. The structural integrity of the wheel cover will not be affected by this small round notch. The notch will actually be in the large radius and will have plenty of support.
BTW, it's never a good idea to cut steel with a carbide cutter. Those little, tiny slivers will find a way to penetrate your skin and drive you nuts getting them out. If possible, always grind steel.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 01:25 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner

BTW, it's never a good idea to cut steel with a carbide cutter. Those little, tiny slivers will find a way to penetrate your skin and drive you nuts getting them out. If possible, always grind steel.
I have the same intention, yet have limited tools. What is the best way to enlarge the holes?
Old 10-06-2012, 01:40 PM   #48

A 1" grind stone on an electric drill.

I couldn't get my front TPMS sensor on/off without taking off the beauty ring if I had the theft preventer on, so I left the preventer off. I thought about cutting the hole larger, but this works fine. I take the sensor off during my off-season.
Old 10-06-2012, 08:55 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
The grinding wheel I was going to use is made from Aluminum Oxide, for grinding metal, as it turns out I didn't need to make any cuts.
Old 10-06-2012, 09:42 PM   #50

The "Alligator" valve stem caps did the trick. They added just enough length to clear the opening with the gauge, so no need for grinding. I was able to install the caps on the outside dual tire with no problem. The inside however posed a little problem. But, being the creative guy I am, I figured a work around. I'll post pictures at the end of this. Anyway, there was a valve cap on one of the inside tires with a hex head. I used a 1/4" drive nut driver with an extension to remove the cap.

To install the new "Alligator" cap, I threaded the hex head cap onto the "Alligator" cap. I added a universal joint to the 1/4" drive nut driver since the valve stem was at just a little bit of an angle. I installed the new cap, and backed off the hex cap and I was in business!

One small problem, my pressure gauge heads are angled just a little too much to fit on the inside dual, so I'll just get a straight one. The angled head works perfect for the outside tire.

The cool thing is, these caps don't press the needle in the stem unless the needle in the cap moves down, so they can't leak! They work great!

Here are the two caps.

Here are the caps together.

Here is the new cap in place.

Here is the gauge in place.

A better shot of the cap in place.
Old 10-06-2012, 10:31 PM   #51

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanJH View Post
I suggest you forget the idea of extensions because they will leak.. either now or later. Spend a few buck and get Borg Dually valves. Dually valve kits for Motor-homes, Busses and 6-wheeled chassis

When you consider the cost of replacing a tire that you ruined to the cost of the new valves and installation, you are way better off with the valves... plus the safety and convenience aspects

X2 for the Borg Dully Valves. Once installed, you will never have anymore leak problems and each stem will be easily accessible to install air or check air pressure.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 10-06-2012, 11:23 PM   #52

Alligator huh! I don't know where I got them, but I have some in my spare brass bucket. I also have some plastic ones that work the same way.
Old 10-06-2012, 11:58 PM   #53

Yea man! The Gator caps are they way to go!
Old 10-07-2012, 12:12 AM   #54

At the bottom is the link to the Tire pressure monitor system I'm going to get.

It has flow through sensors that also have user replaceable batteries. It monitors temp and pressure. This is a six sensor kit for $299 with free shipping and a 2 year warranty! This means I can adjust my air pressure when needed and can replace my batteries when needed. How cool is that?

After more research, I discovered several fatalities due to tire related accidents including fires. The one that sold me was a person using this very system got a high temp alarm on one tire. Found a tire shop and discovered a broken belt inside the tire. Had he only had a pressure monitor, he would have had a blow out because his pressure never changed! The tire people were surprised too! It made a believer out of me!

$299 is CHEAP insurance against all the bad that a tire problem can cause!

I DRANK TO KOOL-AID PEOPLE!!

TST 507RV 6 Tire Pressure and Temperature Monitoring System