Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-30-2012, 06:59 PM   #1

You are kidding me!

I installed the 135 degree valve stem extensions I purchased form Camping World yesterday and they both leak!

They are made by Wheel Masters. I got the first one finger tight, and some air was coming out, I expected that. I got the wrench on it and got it tight, still leaking. I went another 1/3 of a turn and the tire stem was trying to turn, still leaking. Took that one off, put the other one on, same thing. The rubber washers are in both of them. Now, I'm afraid to install the 4 inch extensions on the inside duals.

So, I sit hear still fuming about the fact I have a vehicle that I can not check the air pressure on! I have purchased three different air gauges and none are long enough or hooked enough to get on these @#$%& valve stems!

So, now, I can either drive to a tire shop and PAY somebody to check my air, OR drop $120 bucks on a complete set of valve stem extensions AND PAY ANOTHER $90 TO HAVE THEM INSTALLED???? YOU ARE KIDDING ME, RIGHT?

The seller installed new tires on this thing when they brought it to SC from Florida. THE TIRE SHOP INSTALLED THE DUAL WHEELS WITH THE STOCK, SHORT, VALVE STEMS!
PirateCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2012, 07:20 PM   #2

I agree with you as I also put these valve extenders on all 4 wheels.

I woke up the next day and had a rear flat, so I had to remove it.

I don't know if it is because we install them too tight, or simply a poor design.

Either way, I now have to remove the hubcaps to check tire pressure (what a pain in the a**)
Old 09-30-2012, 07:35 PM   #3

I know, right? I checked the calender to make sure, it is almost 2013 for God's sake!

We have remote rovers on Mar's and we still use 1940's technology on our dual tires? I mean, what the hell?

We drive 10 to 15 tons of steel, wood and fiberglass at 70 MPH on the interstate and tire pressure is not important?

Well, it is, and we can foot the bill for hundreds of dollars just so we can check our own air pressure?

Please, there has to be another, cheaper way!
Old 10-01-2012, 07:05 AM   #4

You have several options, including some that don't involve long, leaky extensions. You didn't indicate the size of your tires but a straight chuck truck tire gauge and inflator would probably solve your problems. Like below:
This inflator makes it easy to reach the inner dual stemm that's pointed straight at you.

These gauges have the same kind of chuck.

Now I have a scrawny little class C with 16" tires but once I took off and stored forever the stainless steel wheel skins, I could easily reach the short valve stems Ford thought would be adequate for this rig once I had the right tools. If you have 22.5" wheels and 120+ psi tires, consider an inflator that locks onto the threaded valve stem so you don't have your face 8" from the tire/IED when you are inflating it.

Good luck...ned.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	straight_gauge.jpg
Views:	422
Size:	2.9 KB
ID:	27095  
Attached Images

ncoonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 07:31 AM   #5

I have the 19.5's I think, with the fancy wheel covers. I have a normal tire gauge, I have the long straight gauge and the long gauge with the 90 and 45 degree end. The long one will reach the inside dual but the outside tire has very short stems. I'm going to spring for the braided hose set and have Camping world install them per the wife. She is tired of hearing me complain about it.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:17 AM   #6

You could also install a TPMS system. Now I just push a button to check my tire pressure.
2006 Jeep Commander
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:21 AM   #7

My 19.5s came with the short stems and braided SS flexible extensions and I kept them when I got new tires. So far, no leaks and only need a standard single input gauge.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:31 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
You could put these on. They work great, Every time I stop for gas, I can just look and know that my inner and outer tire pressures are good.

Amazon.com: crossfire tire equalizer
06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 132K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025RV Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, Scan Gauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, WG T4 In-Motion Sat, XM Radio, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad, Falcon 2, Brake Buddy, Escapee
mgscott4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:45 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncoonen View Post
Now I have a scrawny little class C with 16" tires but once I took off and stored forever the stainless steel wheel skins, I could easily reach the short valve stems Ford thought would be adequate for this rig once I had the right tools.
That's where I am, 16" wheels with stainless hubcaps that have to be removed to access the short valves.

Mine have these incredibly small access holes that basically require me to remove the hubcap to "check" or "fill" the tires :(

I sometimes think that I could enlarge the holes in the hubcaps to be able to access the valves, but would that change the "balance" of the tires?

Removing the hubcaps each time to check is a real nightmare.

Removing the hubcaps all together is one option, but that looks a little redneck

How do folks remedy this situation and easily check their tire pressure?
Attached Images

Old 10-01-2012, 08:55 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I had those flexible stems put on and they leaked like crazy, never could get them to stop and constantly was airing the tires.

I finally broke down and went to a truck tire shop, got the steel extensions like on semis. They had to take the tires off and put the stems in and remount, but never had another problem after that. I've heard lots of problems with the braided ones, beware.
PatStab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:57 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I think I'm going to get a TPMS once I get time to start going again. Getting 2 new front tires just to be safe before I do. Likely get 4 new rear tires next spring.
PatStab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:07 AM   #12

I have the decorative hubcaps all around and found I had to leave off my TST 507 TPMS sensor's anti-theft device on the front so I could remove the sensor to add air without removing the hubcap.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:09 AM   #13

I suggest you forget teh idea of extenstions because they will leak.. either now or later. Spend a few buck and get Borg Dually valves. Dually valve kits for Motor-homes, Busses and 6-wheeled chassis

When you consider the cost of replacing a tire that you ruined to the cost of the new valves and installation, you are way better off with the valves... plus the safety and convienence aspects
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:21 AM   #14

When we bought our Foretravel it had valve extensions on the inside duals. The driver's side valve stem cracked at the base of the threads on the main valve. Cost to replace? $90 while at a CG. Passenger side main valve stem cracked and leaked while on a marathon night trip of 622 miles. Cost? $561: New tire (22.5 Michelin) new valve stem--NO EXTENSION-new straight air chuck, new straight air gage.
Lesson I learned? Do NOT use extensions unless they can be supported!!
NITEHAWK is offline   Reply With Quote