Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-17-2015, 10:45 AM   #29
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77Travco View Post
We looked at a 2016 Canyon Star 3921 last weekend. The garage sticker reads "Garage load capacity 1500 lbs".
I really liked the Newmar 3921 but then we looked at 5th wheel toy haulers and now my wife is back to preferring those.
With the Canyon Star we can haul 2 Harleys and pull a Jeep Wrangler. With the 5er TH we can haul 2 bikes and our golf cart but will have a dually as a runabout vehicle. Oh the decisions...
Thanks for confirming the garage capacity
Can only guess I saw an early/prototype 3921 with a lower garage capacity listing(?)

The reasons listed above are why the Class A Toy hauler is our preference...the motorcycles/bikes/gear/dogs fill the garage and the Toad is a normal size car/suv. We don't have a golf cart.

When we had the towable, the runabout was a Dodge 3500 (dually), which works, but it is not as comfy.

Also the difference at hook-up and drop-off are another reason the Class A is so nice. With the Class A, you can just hit a few buttons from the interior and you're on the road...not doing that with a towable

Finally, the interior space inside the Class A while actually driving is a huge difference. We have a 4 door Dodge (plenty of room), but driving in the Class A is so comfortable.

Best luck and Safe travels

Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-23-2015, 06:53 PM   #30

I have been looking closely at both as well, and truthfully I find there is very little comparison. The Newmar is far better quality from the flush mount slides, the thicker roof, the thicker sidewalls, definitely the cabinetry. The CS has a far better paint scheme and has more of a residential style build. I find Thor cheapens there product and uses inferior materials. Try going in both coaches surrounded by noise and close them up...Newmar is very quiet and the Thor was not. As we all say everyone has an opinion here is mine.

Old 12-23-2015, 10:22 PM   #31
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Tweeters,

The paint scheme?! They both have TOO many swoops and loops for me.

The Canyon Star 3921-22/Thor Outlaw debate will never end. These are different RV's, but share more than either owners will admit. The floor plans, capacities, and price's are what make them different. The decision about which is best for each owner is theirs to make.

If you get a Class A Toy Hauler, hope you share all about it.

Best luck
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 12-31-2015, 10:04 AM   #32

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post

TMC was North America's best selling motorhome maker in 2014 and appears to be on path to hold the title for 2015, with Forest River a close second (unfortunately FR makes no Class A Toy Hauler).
THOR is the largest RV conglomerate, hence they sell more units by comparison to other mfrs. Before you buy any THOR product, take a trip to northern Indiana and see them being made...then visit some of the other (non THOR) mfrs in the area such as Jayco and Newmar. Your decision will become clear as what you will and won't buy.
Old 12-31-2015, 10:19 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImagesByHawk View Post
THOR is the largest RV conglomerate, hence they sell more units by comparison to other mfrs. Before you buy any THOR product, take a trip to northern Indiana and see them being made...then visit some of the other (non THOR) mfrs in the area such as Jayco and Newmar. Your decision will become clear as what you will and won't buy.
Care to share what your thoughts were after your visit?
Old 01-09-2016, 01:17 PM   #34

Every time I hear the name Thor, I'm reminded of the Hiney winery in Medley, Fl. It was run by Big Red Hiney and his brother Thor.
😁
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 06:39 PM   #35

Before I get started.. I have always wanted a Outlaw and have been checking them out since 07. Well I finally got one, a 2016 37RB on 09/11/15.

I love my Outlaw! BUT.. I haven't been able to use it! We can all expect some loss screws or something not connected right?

How about a hot water heater that does not work in either gas/120, the passenger window leaking so badly you had to keep plastic on it for months until it was finally replaced, fantastic fan in galley had to be replaced, leveling box was missing, strip joining front cap to roof has separated and screws are popping out, no water line ran to ice maker, bug curtain will not join together... Missing magnets, driver side slide is misaligned from top to bottom by 1", driver side slide roller installed with one screw, ac/heater controls on wall backwards, ac keeps blowing fuses, assorted trim pieces not attached, sub woofer wiring harness shorted by a screw in it, patio awning not working... plus a few more things.

Take it to Camping World and they will fix everything right, WRONG!

I finally have made an appointment to take it to the Thor Factory Service Center. Hopefully this will end my Love-Hate relationship with my Outlaw. What will this cost me, 1,440 miles in fuel and a week of vacation but what will I gain...

Peace of Mind.
Old 04-01-2016, 08:52 PM   #36
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14theroad View Post
Before I get started.. I have always wanted a Outlaw and have been checking them out since 07. Well I finally got one, a 2016 37RB on 09/11/15.

I love my Outlaw! BUT.. I haven't been able to use it! We can all expect some loss screws or something not connected right?

How about a hot water heater that does not work in either gas/120, the passenger window leaking so badly you had to keep plastic on it for months until it was finally replaced, fantastic fan in galley had to be replaced, leveling box was missing, strip joining front cap to roof has separated and screws are popping out, no water line ran to ice maker, bug curtain will not join together... Missing magnets, driver side slide is misaligned from top to bottom by 1", driver side slide roller installed with one screw, ac/heater controls on wall backwards, ac keeps blowing fuses, assorted trim pieces not attached, sub woofer wiring harness shorted by a screw in it, patio awning not working... plus a few more things.

Take it to Camping World and they will fix everything right, WRONG!

I finally have made an appointment to take it to the Thor Factory Service Center. Hopefully this will end my Love-Hate relationship with my Outlaw. What will this cost me, 1,440 miles in fuel and a week of vacation but what will I gain...

Peace of Mind.
Steve,
Kinda stunned with the post...did it all break/get noticed after pick-up? The Pre-Delivery Inspection usually creates a punch-list...did CW just blow it? Sadly, too many repair shops are not able to do work as promised

Not forgiving QC issues on the line, and hope these issues are fixed at their cost.

And, still hope you come over to the owner's mega threads to say Hi, and maybe get some help on quick fixes.
I love my Thor | Damon Outlaw!
And
OUTLAW Mods and Easy Fixes

Best luck at the factory service center and hope you share about the experience.

Safe Travels
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 04-02-2016, 10:14 AM   #37

Thor and Newmar plant tours same day

I had the similar debate between the Outlaw 37LS and the Canyon Star 3921. I really wanted a dedicated bedroom, which is why the CS was higher. I saw them both, and struggled with it for about 4 weeks. Then after working with a salesman at Mt Comfort RV in Indpls, I was able to get a private tour of Newmar's manufacturing plant. A friend suggested that while I was up there, see if I couldn't also get a tour of the Thor manufacturing plant. Lucky for me, it worked out perfectly. I saw the Newmar plant at 1pm, then drove 10 miles for a 3 pm scheduled tour of the Outlaw line. I was actually stunned at the difference in quality observed from both plants. Newmar employees were visibly more concerned with their product than Thor employees, and the trash laying on the floor at Thor was unexpected. Newmar had a conveyer belt below ground that carried away their trash. It also gave me a chance to see the difference in how the structures are actually made. The walls and primary structures are so different while the chassis and engines are the same. So based on quality, I was certainly leaning towards the CS. But there were several things beyond quality that played into the decision. Newmar would not put a washer/dryer in the garage. Probably could be done as an aftermarket, but I didn't want to fool with it that way. Next was the floor plan. Yes, CS had the bedroom I was looking for, but the TV placement sucked, the ramp in garage couldn't be used as deck, and it lost the extra chair that the LS had (plus a few other things).

So once I finally realized that Yes, Newmar did make a higher quality product, it didn't mean that Thor's product was bad. Thor still makes a good product, and the dealer and Thor would stand behind any issues (if there were any). Also while on the factory tour, the guide from Thor told me that they quit making the 37LS (weren't accepting new orders, still saw one on the line though). So after a lot of thinking, sleeping on it, and talking with several experienced RVers, I went ahead and asked the dealer to find a 2016 with my interior color preferences. And with the help of their regional rep, had one identified for me in a couple of days. I had the washer/dryer installed by the dealer. We closed on the LS this past Tuesday. The unit was in great shape, and after camping in it the first night close by, we went back to the dealer Wed to have them zero out the leveling jacks (turns out we weren't quite level). Other than that, so far so good.

I know I was fortunate to have had the manufacturing tours of both companies within 2 hours of each other, and there were noticeable differences. It does feel great to have options, and not feel like you're backed into a corner. 'I have to buy xxx because it's the only one available, even though I don't like x,y,z.' But all of that being said, it goes back to deciding how you want to use the motorhome. Floor plan, Floor plan, Floor plan.
Old 04-04-2016, 08:51 PM   #38

I actually purchased my Outlaw at a different dealer, not at Camping World.

I read all the reviews and post on buying a new RV and had my checklist. We went through things so fast my head was buzzing. He showed me how this and that worked and well I was ready to hit the road for the drive back home.

So my fault for not taking the time to use the checklist. But what the heck.. This a brand new 2016 rv! I have had other used rv's in the past. Take it home and live in it with no issues.

My problems started the next weekend at a local state park. That was when I started using things in a real world setting. Took notes and called Tom Johnson / Camping World since they are the closest Thor Authorized Service Center that will work on a class A in my area.

From that point on it has been a struggle. I have talked with Thor's customer service folks several times.. Nice folks and understanding but still have to go through service center to get things fixed.

Not sure what happened, but hopefully all these issues will get fixed. They have me scheduled for a week for repairs. Taking the bike and do some riding will the Outlaw is in the shop.

I'll post again when I get back.
Old 04-04-2016, 10:19 PM   #39

I hope things work out with CW. If they don't, the Thor folks usually know of quality places nearby that do great work. Personally, I had bad luck with CW but they are all different.
MonkeyClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 11:26 PM   #40
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Tim,
See below, Steve is going to the Factory Repair Facility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14theroad View Post

I love my Outlaw! BUT...

Peace of Mind.
Newmar owner's call a trip to the factory for repairs, going to "Camp Newmar".
It is an institutional option when local shops are lacking, and I must admire that this option is there for us...you're not taking a Toyota back to the factory - ever.

And...every report I have read records the trip to Wakarusa (was Elkhart) is the best decision owners made and the best thing Thor has done for them. Like SKiefer here:
I love my Thor | Damon Outlaw!
I know that trip is the same thing I would do if local attempts had not worked for us.

Safe travels
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 04-29-2016, 08:37 PM   #41

Greeting everyone!
Back from the Thor Factory Service Center and things went great. Took Saturday and Sunday to drive the 700 miles there. Come Monday morning at 7 my tech was at the door ready to go over my submitted list and a few more items that got added. In all 37 items / issues were either corrected or fixed. The coach is I believe in prime condition. It cost me a week of wasted vacation but...
Now for the serpent to raise its evil head... The tech called me to my Outlaw on Tuesday to show me a tire issue. The inside of the tires were wore badly. Mileage at this point was 2,395. Steve Reed informed me this was a chassis issue and gave me the number of Ford dealership that's worked on RV. The earliest they could get me in was Friday morning. Thor let me hang until then at their service center camping area, thanks.

Ford found the following. I have been complaining of a loud popping noise. They found the left front shock mounting bolts loose and stabilizer mounting bolts loose. These were tighten to spec and no more popping noise.
The king pins need to be re shimmed but they cannot get to this for 3 more working days because they need to order parts. Now remember I have tires that are wore to the wear bar on the inside grove of both front tires with than 2,415 miles on them.
I cannot stick around for 5 days in a hotel so down the road I go back to Carolina. Now at 3,115 there is no first groove and the second is into the wear bar. Ford says none of the above would cause this or have an effect on the alignment. Ford says it's a Thor issue. Talk to Thor and it's a Ford warranty issue. Now it is a Steve issue. Ford will fix the kingpins but will not replace the tires. I am still having a problem finding a Ford Truck Service Center that can accommodate a 38 ft. / 13-3 high Outlaw. My saga continues but with a smile on my face, tears in my eyes and a empty wallet in my pocket.
Old 04-29-2016, 09:36 PM   #42
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Errrr...not Ford's fault?!

Wow...time to go over the local shops "head". Thor didn't change the suspension
Kingpin shims being needed, would most surely impact the tire alignment

Unfortunately, I have read similar chassis complaints in other owner's Forums
Just FYI the F53 is a vendor assembled Ford product (not actual Ford factory), see:
Detroit Chassis

A solid axle vehicle (F53 is solid axle front and rear) "should" stay aligned regardless of the load on the axle.

Best luck

WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV

Tags
thor