Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-30-2015, 09:07 PM   #1

Your thought on 2016 Thor Outlaw

Does anyone have an opinion on the 2016 Thor Outlaw Class A

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2015, 09:12 PM   #2

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I think you'll find lots of people have "opinions" on Thor in general!

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 09:27 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Check out the following thread:

I love my Thor | Damon Outlaw!

Sorry - I can't figure out how to paste a direct shortcut to the thread -

Lots of great info -
2016 Outlaw Josey Wales 38RE #2630
crey0517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 01:37 AM   #4

Welcome to irv2, On My Way. Here is the link Charles is referring you to.

I love my Thor | Damon Outlaw!

I think the new Outlaws have amazing potential, I especially like that they now are being built on a 26K chassis.
Old 10-05-2015, 01:11 PM   #5
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

The Outlaw is the original and best selling Class A Toy Hauler and was a Damon Motorcoach line...Damon was acquired by Thor RV in 2003...
See: Thor Industries - About Thor - Our History
Thor Motor Coach (TMC) became a standalone entity in 2010 when merged with FourWinds Int'l.

TMC was North America's best selling motorhome maker in 2014 and appears to be on path to hold the title for 2015, with Forest River a close second (unfortunately FR makes no Class A Toy Hauler).

These are good RV's at a VERY good price point. And while some have negative opinion of Thor, Outlaw owners know that without Thor, we would not even have our RV's. Thor kept and saved so many RV brands over the years (from Airstream, to Dutchmen and many more) especially after the 2008 recession that hurt or ended SO many brands.
See: Operating Entities - Thor Industries, Inc.
So GLAD we don't own a RV orphan (brand with a closed factory).

BTW, the Outlaw represents 3 significant RV types - Class A Toy hauler, Class C Toy Hauler and the new Class A "Residence" versions with no garage.
See: http://outlawrv.com/

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 06:09 AM   #6

My wife and I have been looking closely at the Outlaw, and the Newmar Canyonstar toy haulers. The MSRP's are comparable, but I believe the Newmar's off the lot price will likely be more than the Outlaw.

That being said, we are more impressed with the Newmar.

Materials and overall aesthetics aside (Newmar wins that battle in our opinion), when compared side by side, the Outlaw failed in fit and finish. The Outlaw's had numerous loose and missing screws/fasteners (which the dealer assured us would be fixed, and I don't doubt that at all). In many areas, the caulk appeared as though it were applied by shotgun. I don't know, this lack of attention to detail turned me away once I stepped into the Canyonstar.

For a lot of folks, those are just minor details that have become the accepted norm with an RV purchase, and that's fine. For me, if I'm throwing down more money than I paid for the brick and mortar, it better be the finished product when I look at it.
Old 10-06-2015, 11:15 AM   #7
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Interesting points (above) about the Newmar Canyon Star vs. Outlaw. We have looked extensively at both (all models) and found there is actually very little difference as long at the unit was not damaged on delivery or at the dealer.

But agree...The out-the-door price on the Canyon Star will not be on par with the Outlaw...and year end pricing gives leftover 2015 Outlaws an even better price point.

Having said all that...please look at the garage capacity. The Outlaw 37LS has a 2500lb garage capacity. The CS3921 has only 1000lb capacity - That giant full wall slide is pretty, but takes away from the capability.
That's a big difference over caulk and trim that can't be fixed or changed.

Plus, because of the shape on-top, the CS's ramp can not be used as a patio deck and intrudes into the garage space decreasing the smaller 120" depth even less.

We all have different priorities, so lucky for us, there are options.

Best Luck
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 10-06-2015, 02:34 PM   #8

The lack of patio was a concern (moreso for my wife). That lead us to keep looking at the Outlaws. I want to say we looked at five of em at three different dealerships during our travels this summer. Then, we saw a Canyonstar at a state park where the couple had taken a pair of car jack stands and an x-pen (a portable doggie corral) and created a porch. Granted, the chairs sat on a slight slope, but it did display a little creativity.

Believe me, we tried hard to justify an Outlaw. I mean the final price was a huge draw for us. There was just too much for us to overlook. Not saying it's a bad coach, just not the coach for us.
Old 10-06-2015, 04:56 PM   #9
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ah, there it is...
The CS at the state park was post delivery and in the loving hands of the owner.

Unfortunately, FEW shoppers will see a CanyonStar3921 sitting in a dealer's inventory. Newmar makes only a fraction of the RV's made by companies like Jayco and Thor. And of that, the Canyon Star ToyHauler is most rare. I have personally seen only 2 ever (both were the now discontinued 3920) of which 1 was pre-sold.

Best wishes for negotiations, since the purchase will most probably be for a unit that is yet to be built. Dealer inventory is most often reachable at the best price, so the buyer is at a disadvantage on a new build. I have read that playing dealerships against each other is the only way to negotiate with a factory order RV.

Sound like the Outlaw's discussed above were at dealerships. And unfortunately for many factories and the public too, dealerships have a too common practice to show an RV in their inventory with damage from delivery and/or their frequent showings, and expect the buyer to look past it until purchase...then demand warrantee repairs

So back to the topic, the Outlaw and Canyon Star 3921 are built on duplicate Ford F53 chassis w/ 26,000lb GVWR. The appliances and systems are equal in quality and availability (supplied by 3rd party manufactures) except the Outlaw has a standard residence style Fridge (option for the Newmar).

After that, the similarities starts to widen...The Outlaw has vacuum bonded, solid-insulation in the all-welded aluminum frame walls and roof (there's no airgaps and no batten fiberglass insulation that will settle over time). The Outlaw's floor is vacuum bonded too, with solid insulation and neoprene footing against the frame, and made with special over-length, 8'x20' sections of subfloor (vs. the typical 4'x8' sheets used in all other brands) reducing the number of floor joints...an industry exclusive.

Then there is 2 real Toy Hauler floor plans (and 2 residence versions) with the Outlaw. The CS3922 only has a Toy "Shed" (their word not mine).
The Outlaw 37RB has a real bedroom (for those that demand a bedroom) and the 37LS has the larger main room (basically a duplicate of the legacy and best selling Outlaw 3611). Both Outlaw's also have the loft and over cab drop-down bunk which are industry exclusives. Both models have the largest garages, at 96"x122" and have the highest garage weight capacities. Finally, the Outlaw has the largest standard equipment receiver hitch, 8,000lb capacity.

In our opinion, the Outlaw is the best made Class A Toy Hauler available today. You can pay more but will not get more.

Safe travels
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 10-06-2015, 11:00 PM   #10

My wife and have looked at both also, the Canyon Star seemed a little bit nicer in appearance but the 1000lb garage was a no go, my bike weighs 944lbs and my wifes weighs 870lbs, really like the idea of not having to haul a trailer with us for the bikes but not sure we are ready to take the plunge just yet.
We did get to tour a Outlaw this past Aug. on our way to Sturgis, ran into a group in Kennebec SD with one and my wife fell in love with it.
Funhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 12:41 AM   #11

On paper the Outlaw looks great. Well get our first look at the real thing in a week at the Pomona show. They'll have a LS and RE bit no RF, darn it, as that's the one I really want to see.

We'll be carrying to large dogs so the party deck will come in handy as a place they can stretch out outside. The inside has more room when the slides are in than any of the other Outlaws which is great for the dogs when traveling.
Old 10-07-2015, 03:33 PM   #12

I am also looking into a Canyon Star or Outlaw.
1) I like the Outlaw but there is no real bedroom AND a garage option.
2) My wife likes the Canyon Star 3921 but I didn't realize the garage capacity was so little until I read post here.
We are in no hurry so we may have to wait and see what's next...
Old 10-07-2015, 05:50 PM   #13
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77Travco View Post
I am also looking into a Canyon Star or Outlaw.
1) I like the Outlaw but there is no real bedroom AND a garage option.
2) My wife likes the Canyon Star 3921 but I didn't realize the garage capacity was so little until I read post here.
We are in no hurry so we may have to wait and see what's next...
Please notice the Outlaw model line-up includes 2 Class A Toy Hauler models with the Outlaw 37RB...has a "Real Bedroom" and full garage.
Click image for larger version

Name:	1_2321_1645033_32173174.jpg
Views:	599
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	109017
Photo credit: #FTH021042506 - 2016 Thor Motor Coach Outlaw 37RB 26K Chassis, Patio, 4 TVs, Pwr Bunk & 3 A/Cs for sale in Alvarado TX
Just past the bed is a fancy sliding glass door between the bedroom and garage...and includes a full door-width shade wall.

See: Floor Plans | 2016 Outlaw Class A Toy Haulers: Class A RVs with Garage

This model replaces the Outlaw 37MD which had a sleeper/sofa in the mid-room - now discontinued. Owners here really like their 37MD's and RB's! I liked the sleeper/sofa idea, but the bed (Denver mattress) is obviously better.

Safe travels
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 10-07-2015, 09:03 PM   #14

The Outlaw site got update so here are photos of the 38RF interior. Personally now that I've see them I definitely prefer the 38RF over the 38RE.

I'm even more convinced that the HDTV needs to be moved to the other end of the dinette. The angle is too far off for good viewing not only from the sofa area but the drivers seat when it's turned.

Since we have two large dogs the Dinette gives a lot more floor space when traveling than the Booth dinette on the 38RE. We'd just have to put the chairs in the bedroom or next to the wardrobe neither of which is a big deal.

The Theater seating can be replaced with the optional Sofa.

It looks like they may have changed the table.

Tags
thor