Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-08-2013, 07:41 PM   #29

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I did my 94 Bounder with this treatment after many years of sweat using expensive waxes of all types. Nothing rejuvenates old tired fiberglass like Zep. Wish I had used it sooner. My 2004 Bounder is becoming a candidate soon.
powellrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2013, 07:04 AM   #30

Workhorse Chassis Owner
To apply the ZEP, I found it easier to put it in a spray bottle, and spray the microfiber cloth, then wipe on. It goes on lightly and without runs. When you spray, point it away from the MH.
06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 132K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025RV Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, Scan Gauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, WG T4 In-Motion Sat, XM Radio, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad, Falcon 2, Brake Buddy, Escapee
mgscott4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 07:33 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgscott4 View Post
To apply the ZEP, I found it easier to put it in a spray bottle, and spray the microfiber cloth, then wipe on. It goes on lightly and without runs. When you spray, point it away from the MH.
I wouldn't want to spray a product that is credited with such an ability to seal a surface. I am thinking of my lungs and the lungs of others as well.

DIY Rear Panhard Rod
exrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 07:55 AM   #32

For those asking how long Zep lasts...

I did the Barkeeper's Friend/Zep application to my 2007 5th wheel in April of 2012. I was amazed at how great it looked. Fourteen months later and it still looks good, although it could use a refresher coat, especially the front cap.

The reports I've read from those who have used Red Max/Zep don't mention any yellowing over time, but a few have reported peeling/flaking problems in some areas, often when applied over decals. The thinking is decals may shrink/expand with changes in temp, causing the flaking, but it could also be a problem with the product, the preparation, or the application. I see no sign of any problem on my decals or any other surface and continue to be really happy with my decision to go the Zep route.

2017 Eagle HT 27.5 RLTS
2011 Chevy 2500HD Duramax Crew Cab 4WD
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 08:30 AM   #33

I did mine last week 4 coats and does it look good. After cleaning it I put a small amount in a ice cream pail and rolled up a micro fibre towel and just lightly dipped it. One thing use rubber gloves, while doing another coat I just grabbed the towell and started to apply and then realized I didnt put on gloves my finger nails looked liked I polished them and my skin looked like lizards skin had to wash my hands with vinegar to remove. But it goes on easy about 15min each side 38ft long. Found a gal of the wet look at menards for about $25
Fkrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 03:20 AM   #34

Can I get some details on doing this like how did you you use the gar keepers friend what type did you buy, I see it comes in a power like comet and a soft scrub. How did you apply the wax ect thanks
middleman210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 05:35 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by middleman210 View Post
Can I get some details on doing this like how did you you use the gar keepers friend what type did you buy, I see it comes in a power like comet and a soft scrub. How did you apply the wax ect thanks
??? Go back and read this thread from the beginning. It tells you EXACTLY what to do ... especially the article by rivercabin.

Kathryn

~~~

"Wise men still seek Him..."
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 01:01 PM   #36

Great info everyone. I'm getting ready to do mine. What about the stripes? I've heard you are not supposed to wax them. Mine are really oxidized and starting to crack. I don't want to replace and will live with the cracks but would like to restore the color and shine. Any suggestions?
Hazardman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 04:54 PM   #37

I bought the Zep wet look. Should I have bought the Zep High Traffic?
hartk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 05:24 PM   #38

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hartk1 View Post
I bought the Zep wet look. Should I have bought the Zep High Traffic?
I doubt it. I did use the HTFF and very happy with it. The HTFF is for higher traffic, but how many people are walking on the sides of your MH? The 'wet look' implies a shinier finish, so for MH use, that would make more sence to me. I'm sure the actual formula is very close with the same properties.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 05:42 AM   #39

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I just used Zep wet look on my 93 Vectra yesterday, WOW. I spent several days scrubbing with barkeepers friend, as the MH had been sitting out under a tree for a couple years before I recently bought it. Prep is key, the cleaner the better, but after the 3rd coat of Zep, the work started to pay off. I only had time to put 4 coats on, but will add 1 or 2 more for better shine and protection. GOOD STUFF!!!
Charlie13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 10:12 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honey Badger View Post
You want to buy the High Traffic Zep or the Wet Look Zep, if the HT is unavailable. About $16 a gallon.

Read this thread first for your greatest success.
This really is the best link for all the good info - plus it's a really fun read!

"Wise men still seek Him..."
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 11:05 AM   #41

Wouldn't five coats of any wax do about the same?
jackfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 11:09 AM   #42

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackfish View Post
Wouldn't five coats of any wax do about the same?
It's not "wax", it's pure acrylic, just like clear coating your rig.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote