Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-29-2013, 10:24 PM   #57

I did the Zep wax last winter in NW Florida. Drove to New Mexico for the summer and about half way through summer the wax started to turn white and flake off all the dark areas. The white parts still look good but the dark areas and the stripes look bad. I am hoping that some amonnia and a pressure washer will get it off. Don't know what went wrong but it didn't stay looking nice.

rlyons is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-30-2013, 09:49 AM   #58

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlyons View Post
I did the Zep wax last winter in NW Florida. Drove to New Mexico for the summer and about half way through summer the wax started to turn white and flake off all the dark areas. The white parts still look good but the dark areas and the stripes look bad. I am hoping that some amonnia and a pressure washer will get it off. Don't know what went wrong but it didn't stay looking nice.
I would have to say it wasn't cleaned/prepped properly as this is the first report of this kind I've seen. When I was doing mine and made a few small mistakes, I had a gallon of acetone handy and it striped it right off. Zep may also make a stripper for their products.

clyon51 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 01:30 PM   #59

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyon51 View Post
I would have to say it wasn't cleaned/prepped properly as this is the first report of this kind I've seen. When I was doing mine and made a few small mistakes, I had a gallon of acetone handy and it striped it right off. Zep may also make a stripper for their products.
X2

I attached some pics of my job last September of 2012

I did my 2003 Storm September of 2012 and by May of 2013 I had some flaking on the street side around the vinyl graphics. While I didn't use the Zep, I used Poli Glow (same stuff, liquid acrylic) I traced it back to improper prep.

The street side of the coach is the most heavily weathered and I had used the Poli Prep to strip the wax (Zep/Poli Glow don't stay on over wax) and prep the surface, but did not use the scrubber as I was supposed to. So there was still was embedded traces of wax between the edge of the graphic and the gelcoat, and that's where the stuff started flaking off.

I called Poli Glow and told them the issue, they said go back over the flaking parts with a scrub of Bar Keepers Friend, rinse scrub well, allow an hour to dry, then re-apply. Worked beautifully.

It is now time for the one year maintenance coat of Poli Glow and I'll be doing that soon, maybe this weekend. I've washed the coach with a soft brush and Meguier's (sp) RV/Gelcoat wash/soap and not all the streaks/stains come out, so anywhere there is a stubborn stain, hit it with the BKF, rinse thoroughly, then apply my maintenance coat is what I plan on doing.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-09-23_12-37-39_496.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	171.1 KB
ID:	49047   Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-10-08_11-59-23_52.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	157.3 KB
ID:	49048  

Name:	2012-10-01_11-51-22_918.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	193.6 KB
ID:	49049   Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-09-23_12-37-17_927.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	173.1 KB
ID:	49050  

Name:	2012-10-01_11-51-40_702.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	156.1 KB
ID:	49051   Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-10-01_11-52-02_907.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	153.4 KB
ID:	49052  

Lincolnboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 05:47 PM   #60

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Will the BKF and TSP cleaning remove any prior wax or is an additioal step needed? Getting ready to start with rhe front and rear caps. They were waxed early summer but never really shined.
Old 11-01-2013, 06:05 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnboy2 View Post
X2 I attached some pics of my job last September of 2012 I did my 2003 Storm September of 2012 and by May of 2013 I had some flaking on the street side around the vinyl graphics. While I didn't use the Zep, I used Poli Glow (same stuff, liquid acrylic) I traced it back to improper prep. The street side of the coach is the most heavily weathered and I had used the Poli Prep to strip the wax (Zep/Poli Glow don't stay on over wax) and prep the surface, but did not use the scrubber as I was supposed to. So there was still was embedded traces of wax between the edge of the graphic and the gelcoat, and that's where the stuff started flaking off. I called Poli Glow and told them the issue, they said go back over the flaking parts with a scrub of Bar Keepers Friend, rinse scrub well, allow an hour to dry, then re-apply. Worked beautifully. It is now time for the one year maintenance coat of Poli Glow and I'll be doing that soon, maybe this weekend. I've washed the coach with a soft brush and Meguier's (sp) RV/Gelcoat wash/soap and not all the streaks/stains come out, so anywhere there is a stubborn stain, hit it with the BKF, rinse thoroughly, then apply my maintenance coat is what I plan on doing.
How the bar keepers friend do on old cracked and faded decals?
Old 11-01-2013, 06:21 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyon51 View Post
You are probably right but it is just strange that it only happened on the darker areas and none on the white. As soon as my health allows I am going to try scrubbing it off and start over to see what happens.
rlyons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 04:27 PM   #63

Washwax.com nothing comes close. Better than professional job. Been using for 5 years.
Old 11-03-2013, 11:40 AM   #64

I was checking they're website and I like what I see I think I'm gonna order some wax to try it out.
Old 11-03-2013, 01:14 PM   #65

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I initially used red max pro. It came out beautiful, I then touched it up with a couple of coats of Zeppelin wet look this summer. Looked great again. I took it to a few Blue beacon truck washes and it held up well until Louisiana. They spent a long time washing me, and when I got to my destination, I was not happy. Apparently they used something on one side they did not use on the other. The Curbside was all streaked and faded like old wax, the other side looks fine.

I'm going to reapply it this week. Due to health reasons I won't strip it off, just try and wax over it. If that doesn't work, I'll just pay someone to strip it with the zep heavy duty stripper.

I tried some test areas and they seemed to come back fine.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 07:17 AM   #66

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlyons View Post
You are probably right but it is just strange that it only happened on the darker areas and none on the white. As soon as my health allows I am going to try scrubbing it off and start over to see what happens.
I use Rejuvenate with UV and put an extra 2 or 3 coats on the darker stripes.
powellrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 03:17 PM   #67

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by charliej View Post
How the bar keepers friend do on old cracked and faded decals?

I didn't actually scrub the cracked faded decals that hard, more like just a good once over.

To prep those decals, I used the Poli Prep, and didn't use the scrubber too hard on them, probably why I had to come back and use the BKF and re-apply the poli glow.
Lincolnboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 05:36 PM   #68

Are you sure it's not the clear coat coming off ? Last summer 2012 I had my coach washed at one of those side of the road washes (mistake number1) and didn't think nothing of because they were washing cars and trucks there. The coach came clean and I was happy. When I got home a few days later I had my 17 year old grandson wash and wax it since he needed some money ( mistake number 2) . I have him everything he needed and there was no reason to believe other wise. When I went to pick it up it look good. This spring the clear coat is coming off only on the black stripes and only on the slide outs. I've ask some people and they say it was something in the water where I had it washed in that parking lot. It must be something acid base , toxic to clear coat. If I rub my finger over a spot today, tomorrow it will come off. Anybody else every had that kind of problem? I had thought about turning it in on my insurance, but don't know if they would have it fixed.
Donald"Dr.Don"Watkins
MSgt USAF Ret
Old 11-09-2013, 03:40 PM   #69

Ok just finished the flair looks great
Old 11-09-2013, 04:40 PM   #70

Winnebago Owners Club
Where's the pictures?

sswilson is offline   Reply With Quote