Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-26-2005, 11:42 AM   #1

is there a better way to kill power on the chevy's beside pulling fuses?

2003 Newmar Scottsdale 3257
Ron - 33' Scottsdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2005, 11:42 AM   #2

is there a better way to kill power on the chevy's beside pulling fuses?

Old 07-26-2005, 04:08 PM   #3

Texas Boomers Club
I followed this procedure several years ago on my 2000 Malibu and worked great...just put it in neutral and release the brake....copied from rv.net

----------------------------------------------

Here is a procedure that you can do that will not require you to remove any fuses from your Malibu.

Chevy Malibu Towing Simplified

Here is a 4 wheels down towing trick for the Chevrolet Malibu that I learned about from a fellow RV owner in MO. It works on my 1998 (that I have towed 4 wheels down for 6 years and 48,000 miles) and I suspect if will work on model years 1997 thru 2003 and even possibly the redesigned 2004 & 2005 models. Doing this simple modification will permit you to leave the key switch in the OFF position with no need to remove any fuses, and your steering will remain unlocked.
The downside to this modification is that two interlocks no longer work - one is anti-theft related and the other is safety related. The one related to anti-theft is that the steering is no longer locked in the forward position with the key switch in the OFF position, and the safety issue is that the transmission lever can be moved out of the PARK position with the car not running and also without having to depress the brake pedal first. For these reasons, give this modification some thought before doing it and please do not ask your Chevy dealer to do it for you - he will probably refuse.

In the gear shift console, there is a small flexible cable attached to a round plastic post on the lower left front corner of the gear shift lever that when removed will allow the simplified towing noted above.

To access this area lift out the plastic bezel surrounding the shift lever, remove the clip connecting the flexible steel cable to the post on the gear lever and you are all set. Push the plastic clip assembly rearward to unhook it from the post. It will take a moderate amount force to unhook - be careful not to break any parts - they are just made of plastic. Leave the cable along with the attached plastic clip lay loose in the empty space under the bezel.

If you let me know your E-mail address, I can send you 4 photos of how to do this modification.

William R. Hemme
E-mail: whemme@avionicstraining.com

------------------------------------------

'04 Itasca Suncruiser 38G, W22 Upgrade Kit, Henderson Trac Bar, Davis TruTrac, Steer Safe
Hamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 04:42 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
I did the same modification to our 2000 Malibu before I towed it for the first time. Works well, and avoids having to pull any fuses. Mine has been that way for several years.

Nice job writing up the procedure Hamie
Old 07-27-2005, 05:59 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Install a switch so the fuse can be switch in and out of the circuit.

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 06:07 AM   #6

Tried the switch route - 2 auto electric shops took 1 look at it and said " You don't want me to do this" lol. I did pull the cable and now I don't have to step on the brake to shift out of park! Was only a 2 min job and is easy to reverse.
Thanks for the info!!!!

Old 07-29-2005, 01:08 PM   #7

Thanks for the great tip. I just applied it to our 02 Malibu.

Something that made it easier was to put the transmission in Low.That put some slack in the cable and gave me more room to work. To clarify, the entire plastic clip slides off the post; there is nothing to "release", although it looks like there would be.

Thanks again.