Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-12-2015, 05:34 PM   #1

'02 Wrangler - toad wiring

Thanks for the reply's I got on my tow bar question form last week.

To finish the project I have another question related to wiring.

Previously I had a '98 Bronco II. Used a Blue Ox tow bar w/ a base plate and ran a light wiring 4 plug from my MH to the rear of the Bronco. I plugged the external wiring into an existing trailer towing arrangement. This was so east I can't believe it. I didn't have touch any of the wiring to other components.

I have also used the magnetic light system as well.

Any help or suggestions I would appreciate hearing.

Thanks all,

cecilh0544

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2015, 09:42 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cecilh0544 View Post
Thanks for the reply's I got on my tow bar question form last week.

To finish the project I have another question related to wiring.

Previously I had a '98 Bronco II. Used a Blue Ox tow bar w/ a base plate and ran a light wiring 4 plug from my MH to the rear of the Bronco. I plugged the external wiring into an existing trailer towing arrangement. This was so east I can't believe it. I didn't have touch any of the wiring to other components.

I have also used the magnetic light system as well.

Any help or suggestions I would appreciate hearing.

Thanks all,

cecilh0544
CecilH,
If I understand you correctly, you're saying that, on a previous toad, a '98 Ford Bronco II, you wired the 4-pin plug from the motor home, all the way to the rear of the Bronco II and, there you simply plugged into the trailer towing plug of the Bronco II? And if that's the way you did it, you're also saying that you had "0" lighting problems while hooked up to the coach?
Or, am I missing something in your explanation of how you did that wiring?

I've wired many Jeeps for towing and, I've got a real easy way for you to do yours but, I need your answer before I go any further.
Scott

FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 09:49 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
The rear light fixtures on a Wrangler are large enough to add a second set of bulbs. It's a pretty easy installation; you use the same 4 wire cable that you would if you were wiring a trailer. /ken
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 01:56 PM   #4

Scott,

Your response is appreciated.

You are correct in your evaluation of what I have previously used.

I would be interested in hearing your recommendation/evaluation to make changes for wiring. I guess I am asking the question to see if there is a way to make the modifications as easy and inexpensive as possible. An of course as safe as possible.

Thanks again. I look forward to your info.

Cecilh0955
Old 06-14-2015, 01:06 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cecilh0544 View Post
Scott,

Your response is appreciated.

You are correct in your evaluation of what I have previously used.

I would be interested in hearing your recommendation/evaluation to make changes for wiring. I guess I am asking the question to see if there is a way to make the modifications as easy and inexpensive as possible. An of course as safe as possible.

Thanks again. I look forward to your info.

Cecilh0955
Cecilh,
Well Sir, I just did it again to a friends '06 LJ Rubicon yesterday. I've done it the same exact way on every Jeep we've ever owned which, totals about seven, (3) CJs, (2) YJs and (2) TJs. I'm going to include a drawing I did after I set up our last toad, a 2011 Honda CRV-EXL 4WD. I did it the same exact way only, in a different area.

On any Jeep Wrangler type, as in prior to '07 ( I didn't have an '07 or newer) All the wiring for the tail lights runs in a loom, right next to the drivers left calf, under the door sill. What needs to be done is, remove the plastic covers of that wiring loom, under the sill. That will expose quite a few wires, in that loom.

There's a ton of wires there but, many have nothing to do with lighting. Many are wires that will be used in operating components that are part of hard top versions. I.e. rear windshield wiper, rear washer pump, and more.

Now, once all the wires are out in the open, you need to find only THREE, that are of importance.

1. Tail/marker light wire,
At present, since my mind is not what it used to be, I cannot tell you what color that particular wire is. But, if you turn on your head light switch, one click, to just turn on the rear tail lights and front marker lights, then, using a 12V test light, you can probe each wire 'till you find one that lights up the test light. Be careful because there's one that's in that loom that's hot all the time, forgot what it's for. But, to verify that you've found the right one, keep the test light probed in the wire and lit up, and, reach up and turn your tail/marker lights off. If the test light goes off, you've found the right one.

2. The Right turn/brake combo wire.
Same thing, only you'll have to have the key in the "On" position and, the right turn signal activated. Simply probe the wires 'till you your test light begins to flash. Once you find that one, mark it or, write down what color it is.

3. The left turn/brake combo wire.
Same thing, probe 'till you find it.

Ok, now that you've found those wires, here's the simple procedure. You've already ran the four wires from the Jeeps electrical pig tail plug on the front, along the engine compartment and, into the cab via a rubber boot on the fire wall, just under or over the steering wheel. Then you left a coil of it at that door sill, enough to work with.

Now, using the brown wire (most four wire trailer wire has a Brown (typically tail/marker light color, a yellow, typically a Right turn/brake wire, a GREEN, typically a left turn/brake wire and, a white, typically a ground wire) you strip about a half inch from the end. Then, you "in-line" strip about the same on the tail/marker light wire you probed. Then you simply take the brown wire and wrap it around the section you stripped. Then solder it. Then tape it. You're done with the tail marker lights.

Then, you're going to do the same exact thing, with each of the other two wires for right and left turn/brake. But, here's where they differ from the tail/marker attachment. You'll need two of the highest amperage diodes from your local Radio Shack, (provided it's still operating). But, let's assume you've got those too. To install each of those, you'll actually need to cut the existing right turn/brake wire that you probed, just down stream from your "T" connection you just did. At that point, you'll insert and solder in, one of the diodes. Once that's done, you'll tape up all that nice and secure.

Now, do the same process for the left turn/brake attaching. "T" into the one you probed, solder, tape up, DONE! Then, cut, insert diode, solder, tape up and, now you're done with that part. All that's needed now is for you to find a place for the WHITE wire to attach to a ground. This process takes a lot less time to actually do than it does to explain it here on the forum. I can usually do the whole thing in about a 1/2 hour, start to finish.

Now, all that's needed is, for you to coordinate the colors of the wires to the back side of the Jeeps front plug, to make sure they co-inside with the pig tail from the coach so that things work correctly.

Doing it in this manor, allows for your tail lights on the Jeep to act completely normal, for a driver that's following you while you're towing it. They go to full brightness because you're not using an extra bulb that's incorrectly placed in a housing that's not made for it. Sure it will fit but, the reflectivity and light refraction, is not nearly as sharp and bright as the stock, centered bulb.

And, the diodes you purchased from Radio Shack or, any other electrical supplier are about $3.00 for the both of them, not $25.00 like you'd pay at an RV supplies outlet. A diode is a diode, PERIOD.

Anyway, the drawing I'm including here also shows what's called a "Tail light converter" in the schematic too. That's used because, the coach has only RED tail lights and what's called a three filament system. But, the CRV has AMBER turn signals and, a THREE filament system. So, I had to install that tail light converter to separate the left turn/brake combo into a separate turn wire and a separate brake light wire. It also does the same for the right side too.

That allowed me to utilize the CRVs Amber turn signals and, the brake lights too which, included the center brake light. So, anyone following my CRV while it was being towed, saw the same exact lights light up, as they would when I drove it. To me, it's a lot safer and more natural.

But, my point for you to look at the drawing is to see how I "Teed" into the wires and, where I positioned the diodes. Forget about the insertion of the Tail light converter, it's not used in your application. The rest of the drawing is. Good luck and, if any questions arise, surely PM me and, I'd be glad to help.
Scott

FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad, wiring