Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-22-2006, 01:41 PM   #1

I own an '03 Honda Civic EX automatic. Does anyone know if I can flat tow this vehicle? I looked at the Remco transmission pumps and it doesn't list Honda.

Thanks for your assistance.

Mike R.
Mike R is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2006, 01:41 PM   #2

I own an '03 Honda Civic EX automatic. Does anyone know if I can flat tow this vehicle? I looked at the Remco transmission pumps and it doesn't list Honda.

Mike R.
Old 01-22-2006, 02:59 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Call Remco and ask them - they will tell you straight, won't try to sell you things you don't need.

As far as I know, the 2003 Civic can be towed like any other Honda automatic - just follow the standard Honda directions, which are:

** Instructions from Honda on towing 1989 and later Hondas **

Check to be sure the transmission fluid level is full.
Release the parking brake.
Start the engine.
Shift the transmission from Park to Drive.
Shift from Drive to Neutral.
Turn off the engine; leaving the key in the Accessory (I) Position
Make sure the radio and all accessories are turned off.
NOTICE: The steering system can be damaged if the steering wheel is locked. Always leave the key in the Accessory (I) Position to prevent damage to the steering system when towing behind another vehicle.

CAUTION: SEVERE AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION DAMAGE WILL OCCUR IF THE CAR IS SHIFTED FROM REVERSE TO NEUTRAL AND THEN TOWED WITH THE DRIVE WHEELS ON THE GROUND.

We do recommend starting the engine and shifting the automatic transmission, if so equipped, through the gears approximately every 500 miles and shifting from Drive to Neutral before shutting off the engine.

For all manual transmissions automobiles, release the parking brake, shift the transmission to neutral, and turn the ignition key to the Accessory (I) Position to release the steering wheel lock. Make sure that the radio and all accessories are turned off.

Although experience has shown that the Honda/Acura transmission and powertrain are capable of being "motorhome towed", American Honda does not assume responsibility for any towing vehicle, lighting hookup, or other towing equipment or towing procedures. And responsibility for these items is assumed by the Owner/Operator.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 03:35 PM   #4

Thank you RV Roamer.

Am I to assume that I don't need a trans pump etc.?

Currently I have a tow doll w/electric brakes and I'm wondering if it's worth the headache of switching over to flat towing. I have been happy with the tow dolly so far. Any thoughts?

Thanks again,

Mike R.
Old 01-22-2006, 03:36 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
I tow a 2003 Civic EX coupe automatic. It has about 9000 tow miles. The Civic is a great car to tow with no modifications.

Hook up car.
Start car.
Place shifter in low, then D2 and finally D stopping at each for 10 seconds or so.
Move shifter to neutral.
Shut off engine and leave in neutral.
Take off emergency brake.
Place ignition switch in the acc position so steering is not locked.

DO NOT GO FROM REVERSE TO NEUTRAL. ALWAYS GO FROM LOW UP THROUGH THE GEARS AND END UP IN NEUTRAL.

The above procedure is good for 8 hours of towing or 500 miles or one day of towing if less than 8 hours or 500 miles.

I rarely tow over 65 mph. I think Honda recommends 55 mph.

Also read you Honda Manual.

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 02:34 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

No, Hondas don't need a lube pump or driveline disconnect
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 02:51 PM   #7

Boy you lucked out with that, all you need is the tow bar and the brake system. See if you bought a workhorse chassie you could of gotten the tow bar for nothing...

us + 3 active boys + 2 crazy labs + 1 plucky bird
Bob RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 10:37 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mike R:

Mike R. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I just purchased a 2006 Honda CRV and had to get a new Base Plate for it.
I have the base plate from the 2002 Honda Accord in the garage. Check and see if it will fit your 2003 civic. Make me an offer. Save some $$. I use the Roadmaster FalconII tow bar.

Bob Dunn----P.S. The Hondas all tow well, yyou don't need any extra equipment. The crv is all wheel drive--no problem.