Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-26-2009, 05:30 PM   #1

'03 TJ Wrangler Fuse Questions

OK, have read several of the postings, however, none relate to the IOD fuse on a TJ. Does this fuse have to be pulled to not log miles and to alleviate some parasitic battery drain? Anything else? I have had a non-chip key made (although it still lets the ignition turn beyond position 1???) Also, how many of you power your supplemental brakes off of a Battery Booster/Jumper unit with an internal battery? This sounds like a good idea, as my Brake Pro does send an alert for low battery, and that would be the only fault of powering with it, how long it will last. Think I have everything else covered, but this will be our first trip with the Jeep instead of an enclosed trailer. We leave after the 4th/July.

TIA - Carl

CARVAL Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2009, 05:19 PM   #2

Hi Carl,

We pull our 2008 Wrangler Unlimited 4 down behind our motor home. We have pulled the IOD fuse. That significantly slows the battery drain as it turns of things that are on when the ignition key is on. However.....we've discovered that when pulling this fuse our break-away (BlueOx BrakeLock) is off as it is evidently powered thru it. Our braking system (BlueOx BrakeSafe) is air activated and controlled from the motor home via air tubing and the 7 pin plug.

Our temp solution is to not pull the fuse, which is fine on short drive days. It becomes a problem when we drive multiple days. Since we fulltime, it is managable. Our solution will be to re route the wiring to the BrakeLock so that it isn't connected via the IOD fuse, but another and really our ULTIMATE solution would be to ditch the steering wheel lock. If we didn't have that there would be no problem. We need education on this issue so still looking into it.

Our procedure is transfer case in neutral, shift in 1st, key "on" (1st click) and we also use a "dummy" key while towing. With this process no miles are logged, even without pulling the fuse. Hope this helps.

DonnaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 12:22 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
You can play with fuses and play all sorts of other games..

I find the best solution to all of them is to install the "Toad charge" system from ISL Products.

It works great and you do not have to worry about... is the battery going to last, can I start the vehicle, will the aux braking system fail... etc...

I alternate between two tow vehicles, both have the Toad Charge system.

Plainly put, I just do not worry about it any more.
Zbugsii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 02:34 PM   #4

I have an '05 Rubicon TJ (same electrical system as you do). You do not have to pull any fuses to flat-tow the TJ.

Look in the Jeep owner's manual and it says with engine running, but tranny into neutral, shift into 4WD, turn ignition one click counter-clockwise (this shuts off the engine but leaves the steering wheel unlocked. Then shift tranny to park. Make sure to release the parking brake and you are good to go.

Since Sept. 08 I have about 10K miles towing my Jeep with zero problems. Just follow the Jeep owner's manual instructions exactly (no matter what anyone else tells you) and you won't harm your tranny or electrical system.
Old 06-28-2009, 06:54 PM   #5

I am sure I will look into a "Toad Charge" system as it is a perfect solution, but I do not have the time now. I should have clarified better, but my major concern is logging unwanted tow miles on the odometer. So, if just having key in position one accomplishes this, great. If not, somebody let me know.

Thanks again,

Carl
Old 06-28-2009, 07:23 PM   #6

You don't need a toad charge system. I've left my key in this position for two days of towing and the Jeep starts up fine.

The odo is run off the tranny or transfer case, can't remember. In any event, when you shift the lever into neutral (out of 2WD/4WD/Lo) it allows the axles to freewheel you won't add miles to the Jeep.

I've towed mine all over the western states with zero problem and no added miles. Your elec and powertrain are pretty much identical (mine is an auto).

Don't over complicate it or add stuff to your Jeep that will reduce its reliability. I travel to Moab a couple times a year and I've learned over the years to minimize mods to the Jeep...keep it as close to stock as possible and it will be super reliable.

I'm using magnet mount lights as a couple guys in my Jeep club here in Arizona did the modifications to tap into the electrical system for lighting and the end result was a disaster. The TJ electrical system doesn't like the diode solution for lights.

Likewise, get a Brake Buddy or its like for aux braking. Tapping into the Jeep braking is inviting disaster. It may work super for other cars, but other cars typically don't drive off road, get as dusty and the components don't get tweaked as much as a Jeep.

Hey, if you are ever out Prescott way and want to go Jeepin, there is a fantastic road to Crown King and the ghost towns in the area that is worth the drive (in the fall or spring).
Old 06-28-2009, 09:12 PM   #7

Thanks WW. I also have a set of magnetic lights, although I did run a H/D 4/1 harness wire from front to rear, attached to the existing harness, so that they can just be unplugged at the back and another connection up front. I also have the Brake Pro (Roadmaster 9300) brake unit. All should be fine.