Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-14-2016, 10:09 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
04 VW conv for a TOAD ?

We have a 04 vw bug convertible 5 speed that i want to setup as a toad. Seems as though it is ok to do so. First time doing this as i originally wanted to use a trailer to tow it on. Looks like flat towing is the way to go. I have read that tow dollies don't work so good when trying to drive the vw onto it as the car sets to low ? Do i just leave the car in neutral as it is a stick shift ? Do i have to leave the ignition in acc. mode or can it be turned to off ?

I have the Blue Ox Falcon tow bar...just need to buy the base plate and attach to the car.

Thanks for any info !!
Chuck and Robbin Harrison....plus 1 PB, a G Pyrenees and 1 Jack Russell. Zenie, Smokie and Buddy ! 1998 38' Monaco Dynasty Duke with a 8.3 Cummins. Everyday truck is a 2010 F150 XLT 4x4 and 2016 Ford Escape.
Migkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2016, 10:26 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migkiller View Post
We have a 04 vw bug convertible 5 speed that i want to setup as a toad. Seems as though it is ok to do so. First time doing this as i originally wanted to use a trailer to tow it on. Looks like flat towing is the way to go. I have read that tow dollies don't work so good when trying to drive the vw onto it as the car sets to low ? Do i just leave the car in neutral as it is a stick shift ? Do i have to leave the ignition in acc. mode or can it be turned to off ?

I have the Blue Ox Falcon tow bar...just need to buy the base plate and attach to the car.

Thanks for any info !!

Yes, transmission in neutral

Does the VW have steering interlock?? If yes, key in ACC, If no, key in OFF
Old 06-14-2016, 10:31 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Thank you ! I also will need a brake assist assembly for the brake pedal ?
Chuck and Robbin Harrison....plus 1 PB, a G Pyrenees and 1 Jack Russell. Zenie, Smokie and Buddy ! 1998 38' Monaco Dynasty Duke with a 8.3 Cummins. Everyday truck is a 2010 F150 XLT 4x4 and 2016 Ford Escape.
Old 06-14-2016, 12:09 PM   #4

Toad brakes are a very good idea.

2013 FleetWood Expedition 38B
2015 Fiat 500 Pop stick
dvmweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 11:38 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Finally got to the VW dealer this morning. They said it was ok to tow with all 4 wheels down ( flat tow ). Since it is a 5 speed manual transmission all i have to do is put it in neutral and go. Will have to put the key into the accessory position so the steering wheel will not lock up. Will it be ok to just unhook the positive battery cable or do i need to do something else to cut off power so as not to drain the battery?

Thanks

Chuck
Old 07-01-2016, 09:51 AM   #6

Hi Chuck. I too just bought a 2004 Beetle convertible to tow behind our RV. It is also the 5 speed manual with the 1.8L turbo engine. It is a very fun car. I'd like to learn from your experience when it comes to setting up our car to tow 4 down if you are willing to share. I have a Roadmaster tow bar and an old Brake Buddy system I got from a family member. I suspect I will have to buy my baseplates from Roadmaster for everything to be compatible. If you could take some pictures or send me some notes about the process, I'd appreciate it. I am a "Do It Myself" kind of guy.

Greg

I am not a mechanic but I do play one in my garage!
OlYeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 10:56 AM   #7

The class c ia am buying comes with a 2001 beetle with a tow bar. the seller likes it. It has 213000 miles on it but oh well. I make up on the mileage with my 2006 class c with 3,250 miles!!!!!
olustee bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 07:34 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlYeller View Post
Hi Chuck. I too just bought a 2004 Beetle convertible to tow behind our RV. It is also the 5 speed manual with the 1.8L turbo engine. It is a very fun car. I'd like to learn from your experience when it comes to setting up our car to tow 4 down if you are willing to share. I have a Roadmaster tow bar and an old Brake Buddy system I got from a family member. I suspect I will have to buy my baseplates from Roadmaster for everything to be compatible. If you could take some pictures or send me some notes about the process, I'd appreciate it. I am a "Do It Myself" kind of guy.

Greg
Hi Greg, I have a GLS model not a Type S model. I went with this from Blue Ox which fits a non Type S model. Should get it later this week. Will keep you updated on the install. Ordered it from etrailer.com

Code Product Quantity Total
BX3815 Blue Ox Base Plate Kit - Removable Arms
1 $394.99
RM-031 Roadmaster Tow Bar to Blue Ox Brackets Adapter
1 $83.95
Old 07-04-2016, 09:59 AM   #9

I'd still be interested. Mine is a GLS too but it has the 1.8L turbo with a 5 speed. The Turbo S has a little more HP and a 6 speed manual. I just replaced the timing belt etc. and am replacing the cooling fans next week. The belt is standard maintenance but the fans shouldn't be going out with only 72K on the car. Even so, I really like the car and I get a lot of comments on it. This is the first convertible of many I've owned that my wife actually enjoys riding in because it doesn't blow her hair all over.

Looking forward to seeing how your install goes as I will probably be doing mine in a few weeks. I was looking at getting my baseplates from Etrailer too. My setup is a Roadmaster which I received from my BIL when they sold their RV. I suspect the actual setup wouldn't be too different.

Old 07-04-2016, 08:15 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlYeller View Post
I'd still be interested. Mine is a GLS too but it has the 1.8L turbo with a 5 speed. The Turbo S has a little more HP and a 6 speed manual. I just replaced the timing belt etc. and am replacing the cooling fans next week. The belt is standard maintenance but the fans shouldn't be going out with only 72K on the car. Even so, I really like the car and I get a lot of comments on it. This is the first convertible of many I've owned that my wife actually enjoys riding in because it doesn't blow her hair all over.

Looking forward to seeing how your install goes as I will probably be doing mine in a few weeks. I was looking at getting my baseplates from Etrailer too. My setup is a Roadmaster which I received from my BIL when they sold their RV. I suspect the actual setup wouldn't be too different.
This is our 2nd vw bug convertible and as well the wife luvs them. There great little cars with alot of pep ! I contacted etrailer and messaged with Adam. Asked alot of questions and he responded with everything i needed. I also contacted Roadmaster and messaged with Jacque. Told me only the Blue Ox base plate would work.I just wanted to be sure that what i was buying would work !
Old 07-10-2016, 04:02 PM   #11

Installing tow plate and Towing a 2004 vw beetle convertible

Just got back from first trip towing our 5 speed bug. Everything went good and it tows nicely. Our trip was about 200 miles one way to the the NJ Beach. Towed with the key on acc with no dead battery problems. I did research the battery disconnect and found that it might be safe to get a memory saver to plug into the power plug so memory is not lost in the cpu, they are about $10.

I also did a base plate install of a blue ox plate. I'll save you some time right now, the inter cooler must come out (turbo) on the right side and all the air intake tubing on the left side. I did not completely remove the front nose just propped it up. The directions that came with the base plate are very vague and pictures are useless.

It took me about 9 hours total but now that I did one I could cut that in half. I also installed a light kit and wiring I think from Roadmaster just ran the wire and drilled a 1" hole in the red tail light and popped them in each side that worked nice and was another 2 hour job. Anybody have any questions I would be happy to help if I can .
Old 07-11-2016, 11:11 AM   #12

It is always nice to hear from one who has gone this way before you. I just spent a weekend under our new bug replacing the fans that cool the radiator. There is NOT a lot of room to work on these cars, especially those of us with manly arms. What you are describing doesn't strike fear and terror in my heart so I should be able to install the base plate. Were you saying that RM doesn't make a base plate for our cars and you had to use a Blue Ox? My set-up has a RM tow bar. I was also glad to hear that there wasn't any issue drilling a hole for the additional bulbs.

I'm curious and I'll check my car out. If you release the steering lock by moving the key, what happens if you return the key to the "Off" position and just leave the key in the ignition? Does the steering wheel stay unlocked or does it lock when rotated to a certain point? If it doesn't lock, that should help with battery discharge issues.

Finally, I have to replenish my bank account after replacing the fans and the timing belt service before I can purchase the base plate and lighting kit. It will probably be a few months before I get to that. I'd like to save this conversation and reserve the ability to contact you if I run into any problems at that time. Thanks for your advice!

Greg

Old 07-12-2016, 10:02 AM   #13

I finally checked out my 2004 Beetle. If you turn off the key but do not remove it from the ignition, the steering wheel doesn't lock. There is no need to leave it in ACC mode which would eventually run down the battery.

Old 07-12-2016, 04:09 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
OlYeller is correct. I had one and that is how I towed it.
slapfoot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad