Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-06-2012, 03:31 PM   #15

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Check out this Honda dealer that is offering De-PAX wheel kits. Scroll down to check the tire and rim sizes they offer.

You are lucky you have a full extra set of PAX wheels as you will be able to use the TPMS sensors for the swap out. Then you could keep one set of PAX wheels/tires just in case.

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2012, 03:50 PM   #16

Actually ----- I presently have two (2) full sets of PAX wheels and tires. The ones that were inside the back of the van when I bought it was apparently the original ones.

I think I will drive the present PAX wheels and tires to the point I will need to buy new tires and then look into the new wheels and alternative tires.

Thank you

God Bless

Bill
Sepisllib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 06:44 PM   #17

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sepisllib View Post
Interesting thing is to watch the demise of GM.
Uhh...todays paper reported that GM was on the way to record profits so don't dig their grave just yet.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 06:45 PM   #18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFChap View Post
I bought my 2000 Odyssey in 2004 with 95k on the odometer. It now has over 160k on it, and I've flat-towed it almost 50k. I have had tranny fluid changed maybe twice, and had a couple of relatively small repairs required. Sometimes I'm tempted to buy a 2005 or so with fewer miles, but this one still works great.
But the earlier Ody's were, in fact, tacitly approved for towing four down, it was only in 2005 and up that they changed.
Old 02-06-2012, 06:47 PM   #19

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgvtexan View Post
My 02 Odyssey has towed fine. I installed the trailer tow package on it when new. I some times tow a golf cart. The tow package has a transmission cooler. Had the recall for the xmission done and change the fluid at the correct time. 90K miles Happy Camper.

Lights: I used the snapin lamp holders in a drilled hole on the rear lamps. I ran a cheap orange 3 wire ext cord from front to rear. wh/bk for turn/brake, green for tail, chassis for ground. Pluged a HF mag light into the trailer conn. and placed the lights on the dash so I could watch the rearview camera as the Brake Pro did its thing.
Here again, the earlier Ody's were tacitly approved for towing four down, it was only the 2005 and newer that were excluded.

That's why I specifically asked about 2005 and up experiences.
Old 02-06-2012, 06:52 PM   #20

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sepisllib View Post
Only question I have is "why in the world would someone purchase 4 separate rims and tires for the PAX tires." Especially when all one has to do it buy 4 new PAX tires and have them mounted.......
I didn't say anyone bought new run flat wheels and tires, I said every Honda dealer had to carry a "hot spare". This was due to their "rarity" and the fact that not very many Michelin dealers were authorized to repair the tires. If you were on a trip it would be easier to find a Honda dealer and buy a whole tire/wheel than trying to find a Michelin dealer authorized to fix the tire or order a new tire and wait for it.
Old 02-06-2012, 07:04 PM   #21

Understand.

On the PAX tires, I just plan on taking what I have and running them until the time rolls around for replacement.

Then - I probably will opt for 4 new wheels and the spare, then put on the Goodyear Assurance, or something close to it, and switch the sensors to the new wheels and that way the system will still work.

I have had the best luck with the Hankook Optimo 727, for tread wear but I am not sure they are available in that size. I do see that Goodyear Assurance is and their tread wear is rated up there too.

On the GM issue - you can build cars that are glitzy, very attractively priced, and sell a ton of them. But if, and when, those vehicles begin to start having continuous problems and failures ---- the public will slowly begin to realize it.

I know of at least 6 folks that have sworn off them because of the problems.

God Bless

Bill
Old 02-06-2012, 07:49 PM   #22

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
GM builds fine cars... as long as you plan on buying a new one when it gets to 80k
Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 10:09 PM   #23

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
But the earlier Ody's were, in fact, tacitly approved for towing four down, it was only in 2005 and up that they changed.
Same thing with my Civic, my 2005 was the first year that was not approved for towing 4 down. It is my understanding that there were no changes in the transmission from 2004 to 2005. A theroy is that to many people were not following the prescribed towing method (shift from DRIVE into netural, not from Rev into net) before towing and were damaging the transmission during warranty. So Honda eliminated the approval for towing 4 down. Again, I have towed my 2005 Civic about 35,000 miles without a problem.
thebings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 10:26 PM   #24

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebings View Post
Same thing with my Civic, my 2005 was the first year that was not approved for towing 4 down. It is my understanding that there were no changes in the transmission from 2004 to 2005. A theroy is that to many people were not following the prescribed towing method (shift from DRIVE into netural, not from Rev into net) before towing and were damaging the transmission during warranty. So Honda eliminated the approval for towing 4 down. Again, I have towed my 2005 Civic about 35,000 miles without a problem.
When I was going through all this with the Ody all I could get out of Honda was that "they had tested the Odyssey for towing four down and "found something they didn't like"" Was never able to pin down exactly what or why.
I'm stiil on the edge about towing long distances though. We're headed for AZ in a while and could easily take the dolly or go four down. It doesn't make much difference other than from a wear/battery drain point. Either works, each has it's advantages/disadvantages and it works out to about the same time for setup either way. Four down I have a 65 mph/max 8 hours towing before needing to run the engine. On a dolly I don't have the limits, which really don't matter either. The added weight of the dolly is no problem as I really can't feel it, the dolly, due to the steering on it actually tracks the MH better. Four down it tends to cut the corner so I have to swing wider. Not much of a problem.
Old 02-07-2012, 02:16 AM   #25

From what I see - you would have no problem towing anything you want to hang back there. Power is not an issue for you.

I have less, mine is the Monaco with Cummins 370, and I am more than satisfied with that. When I towed the Malibu I usually could not even tell it was behind me - but the Odyssey weighs a bit more. Still don't expect any problems though.

I know of the pre-tow sequence and the Malibu was hardly any different. As far as going the distance, I am no longer able to drive for hours on end like I used to. 4 to 6 hours is about it and I must stop because the ole Bod is screaming at me by that time. So we plan our trips in blocks of about 300 to 350 miles whenever possible.

You will have to let me know how things work out for you in the new towing mode ---

God Bless

Bill
Old 05-17-2012, 01:09 PM   #26

Tiffin Owners Club
baseplate for 06 Odyssey that has transmission cooler

I have decided to start towing my 2006 Odyssey four down. I have been towing a 2005 Civic for 4 years now without a problem. Now my problem is I cant find a baseplate that will fit my Odyssey because it has the factory transmission cooler. Roadmaster makes one for the 2004 but not for the 2006. So my question is; has anyone installed a baseplate on an Odyssey that has the trans cooler? I am using a Blue Ox Aventra LX towbar.
Don
thebings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 09:51 PM   #27

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
After the trip to CA and AZ towing the Ody four down I'm going back to the dolly! I put a new battery in, anticipating the battery draw down. Also threw in my battery charger, glad I did because the battery went dead three times.
When I got back I noticed excess wear on the front tires, the alignment had been thrown off. Also found many more rock chips in the hood.
Now I'm back to dolly towing only with it. Seems to tow easier on the dolly as well as tracking better, plus the battery doesn't run down. Yes, I know about adding a charge line.
Guess I need to wire up our '08 Civic for towing on the dolly next just in case we want to tow it. the Civic weighs less but I'm not sure that makes much difference for us. We do like the extra space the Ody has for hauling "stuff".
Old 05-23-2012, 10:00 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebings View Post
I have decided to start towing my 2006 Odyssey four down. I have been towing a 2005 Civic for 4 years now without a problem. Now my problem is I cant find a baseplate that will fit my Odyssey because it has the factory transmission cooler. Roadmaster makes one for the 2004 but not for the 2006. So my question is; has anyone installed a baseplate on an Odyssey that has the trans cooler? I am using a Blue Ox Aventra LX towbar.
Don
Blue Ox shows one for the 2006.

When I installed a Blue Ox baseplate on my 2005 MDX the clearance was a bit tight for the cooler, but a slight adjustment of the factory mounting brackets got me sufficient clearance.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote