Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-24-2012, 07:16 AM   #29

Tiffin Owners Club
I talked with BlueOx and they confirmed the BX2237 baseplate for the 2006 Odyssey will not fit my car because I have the factor "tow kit" transmission cooler installed. I ordered the baseplate anyway and will attempt to install it today. I hope I will be able to relocate the cooler. Anyway I will post the results later.
Don

thebings is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2012, 05:48 PM   #30

Tiffin Owners Club
I installed the BlueOx BX2237 baseplate today on my 2006 Honda Odyssey that has the factory "tow option" transmission and power steering cooler. The baseplate does make contact with the coils of both coolers where the two short piece of 2" x 3" box channel are welded onto the bar, this is where the tow lugs are located. I just removed the cooling fins on the coils where needed and the bar installed without a problem.
Don

Old 06-03-2012, 07:41 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebings View Post
I installed the BlueOx BX2237 baseplate today on my 2006 Honda Odyssey that has the factory "tow option" transmission and power steering cooler. The baseplate does make contact with the coils of both coolers where the two short piece of 2" x 3" box channel are welded onto the bar, this is where the tow lugs are located. I just removed the cooling fins on the coils where needed and the bar installed without a problem.
Don
Just ordered the baseplate last week for my 2007.

And Yes, I "am" going to tow the Odyssey 4 down. Have seen WAY too many of them on the road being towed to be intimidated by anyone at the company or here as to why it cannot be towed.

The only thing I am going to do different is the tail light and brake light system - I am purchasing the Wireless system and going to use that instead of all the work to worm, fish, drill, cut, modify and fuss with the wiring harness to permanently install the lights.

This way I will simply pull two lights off the rear of the van, unplug the transmitter and stow them in the van for the next use.

The only issue I have not decided on yet is the battery one - thought about a solar charger, however the size needed to maintain the battery may not be feasible for just putting in the dash windshield when towing or even mounting on the hood ---- I may end up installing a charging wire to the battery from the coach. Thoughts??

God Bless

Bill
Old 06-03-2012, 08:51 AM   #32

I'm with you! Getting ready to flip an 03 for a later model and set up for towing. Like you, I have seen and talked to a number of folks now towing 06 and later Ody's with no issues. Just can't find any thing else I want to tow that has the space. Don't know much about you're battery question. I have never had a problem with battery running down and have towed as much as 500 miles. Maybe you should try towing without a solar charger and then make your decision. Definitely would like to hear how you make out.
Old 06-05-2012, 10:38 PM   #33

Tiffin Owners Club
Just returned from my first trip towing the 06 Ody about 800 miles and everthing went well. As for the battery, I just ran a hot wire from the coach to the Ody bat via the six wire plug, works good. I did the same thing on my Civic.
Old 06-06-2012, 05:45 AM   #34

Well - I just yesterday received my Baseplate and hauled it home.

Now to install it.

Since probably 90 % of my towing on any given day will likely be somewhere around 300 miles at a time - I am going to see how my battery issue holds up. If it becomes a problem I will either run a charge line or try something else - not sure on that one yet.

On issue of brake/lt/Rt/ lights - my selection is the wireless ones.

On the problem of rock chips I see that some use the under slung "Protect-a-tow" and that is the direction I am heading.

God Bless

Bill
Old 06-17-2012, 08:37 AM   #35

Well - the busy period of time is over, now to settle down and install that base plate.

I decided to order out an after market polished aluminum stone guard for the lower condenser inlet - the guard I ordered is powder coated and horizontal strips - looks really nice and appears to be easy to install and since I will have the front assembly off while installing the base plate I may as well add that guard at that time.

Wish me well - have no idea how long this will take, however it looks like a straight forward dismantle and reassemble operation.

God Bless

Bill
Old 06-17-2012, 11:46 AM   #36

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Bill,

Pictures please, would like to see the rock guard installed.

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 03:20 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanabee FTer View Post
Bill,

Pictures please, would like to see the rock guard installed.
Yes - I took it and pressure washed most of the bugs off the front and then backed in up into the garage and onto a couple ramps.

I did take a before photo at that time and now, as it sits, the entire front end, headlights and etc are all off. It looks really bare.

I had to cut a small slot in the front of each support (left and right) with my sawz-all and that has been accomplished. The baseplate comes with two drop down supports for the plug in (intended for the wiring for rear tail lights), and those I must cut off before I install her.

Otherwise I am ready to position it and drill the holes I must drill - 6 all together - and then the reassembly process begins.

God Bless

Bill
Old 06-19-2012, 03:52 PM   #38

Well - you guys are going to laugh, however the very thing I am doing (as part of this effort) is to protect the condenser from damage because those things are very susceptible to small stone strikes.

So - as I had everything apart and had cut the slot on each side and bent the flap over ---- I put the baseplate assembly up onto the perch I had just made. There was a small reinforcement lip on the inside of each support that was causing about 1/8 or an inch offset - that I needed to use a punch and tap it in.

I did just that -----and yes, I slipped.

That teeny tiny little dent I put in the condenser ----- surely it didn't hurt a thing ------- did it???

So - got out the spray bottle of "Bubbly" (I use a bottle of kids bubble making that I always have handy to check for those little leaks) ------sure enough it was seeping -----------------------------

*&^$@$^&*

That was kind of my thoughts, even though I didn't mouth them.

Oh well -

So I went inside to computer and plugged in e-bay and found one located in NY. Ordered it and FedEx says they will deliver it Friday.

Darn.

In mean time I did take a photo of the front end all torn down -----

I now have the BasePlate installed (and it did take a bit of work because of space restrictions. Plus - Blue Ox specifies a 13/32 drill bit and that size certainly is not a common one (most go from 11/32 to 15/32) and so I just used the 11/32 and reamed gently.

The extra long safety cable Blue Ox shipped with the unit was 2 or 3 times longer than needed - so I cut my own from 800# steel chain that is 20 inches long and just barely reaches the bolts. The safety chain is wrapped around the frame on each side and bolted with Red seize on each one ---- so the baseplate is on, secured, bolted and ready now.

I have gone ahead and reinstalled the head light assembly on each side - so that step has been completed.

Now to the condenser guard (sure - you can laugh), and another problem. Thought it was going to be an easy install - however I found that the Mfg certainly did not allow for vehicles with the required from license plate mounting bracket ---- so now I must go ahead and remove the front cover and take it to the work bench where I must adapt it for not only the license place bracket, but also the protrusions for the Blue Ox hookup.... looks like it is going to work out okay - just a bit more cutting and work than I originally thought.

God Bless

Bill
Old 06-19-2012, 07:22 PM   #39

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I have the factory condenser guard sitting at home, need to install it even though I'm going back to towing on a dolly.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 06:28 PM   #40

Well - another problem has surfaced and this is on the new "Billet" grill rock guard I ordered out from Overstock_auto (an e-bay seller).

Received the grill and it is beautiful - powder coated all black with forward edges of horizontal portions polished like silver (it is aluminum).

To begin with the new Billet grill made absolutely NO allowances for the front license plate bracket - so I had to slice the 2nd from top horizontal bar in order to make room for that bracket to fit properly.

Then - I secured the Billet grill and put the assembly up to the front of van in order to measure the holes I would have to cut for the Blue Ox removable pins ----- and discovered that the mounting hardware that came with the Billet grill is all in the way - every last bit.

Now - I must create my own mounting hardware and with the cuts I have to make some of the horizontal fins will have to hang on to "air" - so that means I must make 4 brackets instead of 2.

Oh well - guess by now I am used to such things -------- it's going to look great once I get it all done and back together.

Yes - I am taking pictures

God Bless

Bill
Old 06-24-2012, 04:18 AM   #41

Okay - gotta apologize before I post photos because my Samsung Stratosphere crashed and had to get new phone. The photos were saved, however one isn't very good quality.

If this one works then it shows the van head on before I stripped her down.

God Bless

Bill
Old 06-24-2012, 04:19 AM   #42

Trying again.