Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-24-2012, 04:24 AM   #43

Finally --- this one shows her stripped down and ready for the work ahead. The Baseplate has been installed here along with new condenser and if you look closely on left and right side you will see the "safety" chains I installed just in case. They were not part of the parts package - I do this to everything.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2012, 04:33 AM   #44

Last one for now - this one will show the front shell that covers the front end as I had it sitting on my sawhorses and ready to reinstall. It shows the "Billet" grill, heavily modified because the original mounting backside brackets were both in the way of the baseplate pins and I had to cut them both out. So - I installed the 6 vertical front bars that keep the grill together and in place.

What this does not show is the final product on the van. Everything fit together very nicely and one must look really hard to see it is a towable vehicle now - only giveaway is the 2 little black holes beside the license plate holder and with pins removed that is "all" one sees.

The tow chains fit into the safety loops, barely, and I must install the pins only after I snap the chains into place otherwise they won't fit.

I am very pleased with the finished product and will take a head on photo sometime later when time allows - of the van sitting in the sun.

Would not have been such a long job if I had not screwed up and dinged my condenser - however replacement was $72, little work, and 2 1/2 cans of freon. Triple checked the sealing and nothing shows leakage. Had to go to Honda for the "O" rings - top one was 1/2 inch in size and bottom was 8mm in size (figure that one out). Replaced both just to be safe.

Recharged and the front and rear AC both are pumping out the cold as before.

God Bless

Bill

Here is the photo.

Old 06-24-2012, 09:43 AM   #45

One more thing I discovered - by accident.

While waiting on the condenser to arrive I decided to clean all those darned little spots of splattered BUGS off the front of my shell while it was sitting there on my saw horses.

Just for chuckles - I noticed a very OLD container of wipes - I had actually stickered them for 10 cents for my garage sale earlier. They had not sold and were sitting on shelf in garage.

Pulled a sheet out and started wiping ------- WOW, DOUBLE WOW!!!!!

These things are Simple Green Wipes ------ They work WONDERFULLY WELL.
I cleaned off the entire shell in less than 10 minutes -------

Thought you guys would like that little Tid Bit.

God Bless

Bill
Old 06-24-2012, 02:45 PM   #46

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks for all your updates Bill looks good. One question about the condenser grill was there a Honda recall to install these grills. I thought I had received a recall letter but I cant find it.
thebings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 04:19 PM   #47

Sorry - but I am not aware of a recall partly for couple reasons. One - my van is a 2007 and two - I bought it used just this spring.

God Bless

Bill
Old 06-25-2012, 01:42 PM   #48

Well - now that baseplate is installed, I ordered my lights. They are::

http://www.towmate.com/products/light-duty

Presently I have a small bag with my removable pins stowed inside wrapped in a towel. Once these lights arrive I shall do the same with them and so when towing all I have to do is plug in the transmitter, mount each light and flip a switch.

Will let you guys know how things work out.

God Bless

Bill
Old 06-25-2012, 01:47 PM   #49

Hope that website works - took quite a few tries to get it to work for me on this end and I have no idea why. Finally had to edit it - copy - then paste directly to the site rather than insert it through the add link site....

God Bless

Bill