Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-03-2012, 04:44 PM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
'05 Honda Odyssey four down

Yes, I know Honda says it's not towable four down.
Yes, I know Remco (for what little they're worth) says it is.
And yes I've towed ours on a dolly for many miles and four down for not many.

I'd like to hear from those that have towed one for many miles and any problems you've had.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2012, 03:24 AM   #2

Well Mr D -----

Guess we will make at least 2 doing this.

I finally became "fed up" with all the problems and issues of my 2008 Malibu and traded it off for a 2007 Odyssey.

While the Malibu was a nice attempt, by GM, to make a great car - to say they have failed would be a huge understatement. at 87000 plus miles the car was showing and exhibiting signs that equaled that of my past Honda Accord that had 230,000 miles on it - only thing is, the Honda never had to spend time in the dealership garage trying to find problems by having parts thrown at it.

From reading many posts in the past I came to the conclusion that the Odyssey was, indeed, towable 4 down ---- up to the 2009 year. After that it seems to be not such a good idea.

So - I went on the search for a 2007 or 2008 Odyssey and held out for a nice one ---- ended up driving one home from Rochester yesterday and it is a 2007 model "Touring" with 67000 miles on it.

Next I have to obtain the Blue Ox base plate for it and install this spring. I am also going to install a hitch on rear, to permit me to tow my small utility trailer or carry my hitch luggage rack.

I am not sure yet just how I will address the running lights and brake lights for it - kind of leaning toward running the wire underneath the unit and end up in the back with a small plug to make it easier to just use a LED magnetic and removable light assembly on each side.

What do you use??

God Bless

Bill
Sepisllib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 08:45 PM   #3

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We really wanted the Touring model but in 2005 you didn't have the option of the run flat tires or not. We didn't want to have a flat and not be able to get it fixed. Each Honda dealer had to carry a "hot" spare (wheel with tire mounted) at something like $525 (in 2005 $$). Plus only certain Michelin dealers are certified to work on the run flats.
I installed a RoadMaster Brakemaster 9160, while at it I ran a flat four wire cable to the back and used the RoadMaster diodes. So far they are working just fine. I do need to check the wiring to the brake switch as my dash light no longer works.

When we originally asked Honda support if the '05 Ody was towable four down they sent us a letter on their letterhead stating that it was towable four down and spelling out the procedure (same as the CR-V) so we had RoadMaster use it as a test fit vehicle (free brackets and installation). Since it was winter we only towed it about 300 miles before I started seeing people reporting that Honda no longer approved it for four down towing. After some back and forth with Honda and getting CA and WA AG's office involved they agreed to pay us the cost of the towing gear. We took that money and bought the KK-460 dolly and used it for that last 5 years.

The transmissions have been a weak point on the Ody's for some time too. There is also a class action suit against Honda for damaged air con condensers. There is a proposed settlement in the works to pay for installing a screen or, if it's already happened, paying for the condenser repair. Yesterday I went by the local dealer and bought the screen (about $35 plus tax)
Old 02-05-2012, 03:22 AM   #4

Sounds like you have been through the mill on making yours work for that purpose.

I am just going to take that gamble - and set it up to tow. Guess if I have to shell out for a transmission repair at some point down the road so be it.

Not familiar at all on the "screen" you are talking about. Is this just a protective screen you attach to the condenser???

Good Luck

God Bless

Bill
Old 02-05-2012, 05:25 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
I am very interested in this subject. I have been towing a 2005 Honda Civic automatic for about 30,000 miles now and although it is not supposed to be towed four down, I have had no problems, just follow the procedure in the book for "emergency" towing. I also have a 2006 Honda Odyssey Touring that I would rather be towing. My Ody had the run-flat tires (bad idea by Honda), I replaced the wheels with Honda Pilot wheels and installed a spare tire.
thebings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 12:51 AM   #6

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sepisllib View Post
Not familiar at all on the "screen" you are talking about. Is this just a protective screen you attach to the condenser???

Good Luck

God Bless

Bill
There's a lot more to the story about the Ody towing but they probably would delete it if I posted it!
As I understand it, yes. It's still in the box in the back of the Ody, guess I better open it up and look. I was measuring for new slideout covers today and letting the new vinyl for the new TV "box" warm up and stretch some.
I looked at a used 2007 CR-V at the dealers when I was there and noted that the condenser had rock damage to it.
Old 02-06-2012, 03:11 AM   #7

Well - guess we, and a few others, will be on the learning curve for a bit.

Interesting thing is to watch the demise of GM. For many years they built cars and trucks with varying success in the quality arena. But for the most part the vehicles were built to a standard that meant if the component was engineered to work at 7/8 inch size, often that component was made to be just a little heavier, or stronger, than that size resulting in longer life.

After numerous experiences now, with my Malibu, sons HHR, and a few other friends with various models of the new design and manufacturing by the new "union controlled" GM, I have come to the conclusion that they do their best to skunk the public. The new cars are flashy, drive nice, handle well, are relatively inexpensive, and provide their new owners with the feeling that finally GM has their stuff together.

Truth is - the newer vehicles are designed as "throwaway" cars. Sure - they will last a while, but just wait until the miles begin to pile up toward the 100,000 mile mark. The new steering system begins to have a high failure rate, front suspension has troubles, rattles and bangs begin to abound, transmission issues begin to crop up, and on and on and on.

The vehicle repairs will begin to "eat the owner alive" just trying to keep them running.

On one particular HHR owned by my son, he drove it from new and ended up with over 120000 miles on it (easy miles as he drives around 6000 a month all highway at that), and he went through two sets of front rotors, two wheel bearings in front, front suspension problems, one wheel drive shaft failure, engine ignition coil failure, and other issues. The car was constantly causing problems and sensor failures abounded. He finally gave up and traded it off for an Edge - now has driven that car nearly 80,000 miles and so far oil changes, new wiper blades, gas, filters, wash it and drive.....

I finally gave up on the Malibu after having the transmission issues come up and unable to deal with - the dealer begin to throw parts at it and they were not fixing it. With upcoming trip in two weeks I bailed and traded it for a Honda. My over 50 years owning GM products has now come to an end.

That's my story --- in a nut shell..... obviously that is far more to it than I posted here.

God Bless

Bill
Old 02-06-2012, 04:33 AM   #8

I've got an '07 Pontiac Vibe, hate those tires.

A lot of research and i am replacing it with a 2012 jeep grand cherokee Overland.
Chrysler got it right with that one. I chose the Air Bag suspension model.
AZgl1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 07:00 AM   #9

Didn't know that Vibe had those "run flat" PAX tires.

I have no experience with them ---- guess it will be a learning experience for my on that end.

God Bless

Bill
Old 02-06-2012, 08:33 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My 02 Odyssey has towed fine. I installed the trailer tow package on it when new. I some times tow a golf cart. The tow package has a transmission cooler. Had the recall for the xmission done and change the fluid at the correct time. 90K miles Happy Camper.

Lights: I used the snapin lamp holders in a drilled hole on the rear lamps. I ran a cheap orange 3 wire ext cord from front to rear. wh/bk for turn/brake, green for tail, chassis for ground. Pluged a HF mag light into the trailer conn. and placed the lights on the dash so I could watch the rearview camera as the Brake Pro did its thing.
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 08:44 AM   #11

Forest River Owners Club
I bought my 2000 Odyssey in 2004 with 95k on the odometer. It now has over 160k on it, and I've flat-towed it almost 50k. I have had tranny fluid changed maybe twice, and had a couple of relatively small repairs required. Sometimes I'm tempted to buy a 2005 or so with fewer miles, but this one still works great.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 09:21 AM   #12

Sounds reassuring on towing.

Only issue I have at present is the PAX tire system.

When I bought the van it had 4 mounted tires in rear that went with it. I did not know why at the time, and actually still don't know. One of the 4 is nearly worn out and the other 3 are very little tread left. They are the PAX tires.

So - looked at the new Michelin tires that were put on the van - yup, they are also the PAX tire system.

Only question I have is "why in the world would someone purchase 4 separate rims and tires for the PAX tires." Especially when all one has to do it buy 4 new PAX tires and have them mounted.......

I was kind of hoping that the new tires were NOT the PAX system and tires, however they are. So at some point I know the situation will need addressing again and my choice will be ---- new PAX tires, or replace rims and tires for a longer life tire that are NOT PAX...

Thoughts???

God Bless

Bill
Old 02-06-2012, 10:08 AM   #13

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sepisllib View Post

I was kind of hoping that the new tires were NOT the PAX system and tires, however they are. So at some point I know the situation will need addressing again and my choice will be ---- new PAX tires, or replace rims and tires for a longer life tire that are NOT PAX

Bill
When I worked for Honda, many customers bought non PAX rims and tires so they would not have to pay the high price for PAX replacement tires. The only problem as I recall is the tire pressure monitor system will not operate with the standard wheels and tires.

Quote:
Only question I have is "why in the world would someone purchase 4 separate rims and tires for the PAX tires." Especially when all one has to do it buy 4 new PAX tires and have them mounted.......
I bet the previous owner found a good deal on a new car take off from someone that did not want the PAX tires.

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 02:45 PM   #14

John - thank you.

From what I am looking at the replacement wheels, whether 16 or 17, can be fitted with the TPM sending unit inside each one - and the system will work as designed.

With this in mind - one would just be without the "run flat" feature ---- however if those PAX Michelin tires tread life is indeed as short as folks are saying I will readily switch.

What I presently don't know is how the tires compare - foot print, diameter and so on because I certainly want something that is extremely close to what I have on the ground now (boy those things are wide).

Know much more about the subject?

Will the 17 inch EX-L rims work for the retro?

I hate to think about purchasing brand new rims but if necessary I shall. In about 100,000 miles I have a feeling the purchase price will be balanced by the lack of not replacing those PAX ones every 25,000 (if the horror stories are true).

God Bless

Bill