Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-08-2013, 08:05 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
05 Honda Pilot Tow light wiring

Please help if you can.I am trying to connect my turn,brake,and running lights to my 2005 Pilot from my motor home.It does not look like there is enough room for another bulb in the light housing to me anyway.Is there another way? Or has anyone done this to a Pilot? Thank's for any and all help.Happy Trails...........
whitetop is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2013, 08:12 PM   #2

There is a trailer electrical harness quick connector in the rear of your Pilot that can access those circuits. Any Honda parts department can print out a copy of the instructions for installation and exact location of the connector.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:19 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks bluepill,I am trying to connect from my motor home to towed pilot,and have been told I need to install a seprate bulb and dieods??Will what you are saying work with this applaction without the extra parts? Thank's again for your help.
Old 07-08-2013, 08:37 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Well, first off Honda says the '05 Pilot is not towable four down. (We went through all that when proposing a buy back on our '05 Ody that Honda also says is not towable four down). Now, that said, there are numerous people doing it without trouble.
Years ago I wired our '05 Ody using the RoadMaster diode kit which still works perfectly to this day and I've never had a bulb burn out either.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 02:50 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks Mr D,my owners manual has a section in it that gives you instructions on how to tow 4 down,so I am still confused on what I read on ths forum and others about towing.I am going to call Honda today and see what they say. So it sounds like the extra light bulb in the housing will fit.I will post what ever Honda's response is.Thanks again for your reply.
Old 07-09-2013, 06:43 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetop View Post
Thanks bluepill,I am trying to connect from my motor home to towed pilot,and have been told I need to install a seprate bulb and dieods??Will what you are saying work with this applaction without the extra parts? Thank's again for your help.

Here's what I did with the wiring on my 2005 Acura MDX, which is similar to your Pilot. I cut into the wires for the 2 circuits at the front combination lights (Turn signals & Parking lights)

and ran them to a receptacle on the front of the car.

This attaches via a coil cable (I used Blue Ox) to the RV rear bumper outlet.

It is a direct connection without any diodes, and on my MH the circuits are protected by factory-installed relays and fuses. The only thing about not using diodes is that both front turn signal bulbs will light (along with the rears) when you use the brakes. I actually like that, since I can look in my rearview TV and confirm that the lights are working.
Old 07-09-2013, 06:59 PM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetop View Post
Thanks Mr D,my owners manual has a section in it that gives you instructions on how to tow 4 down,so I am still confused on what I read on ths forum and others about towing.
I brought that up to Honda Legal dept., their answer was that the manual was in error and that none of the '05 and newer Pilots were towable four down. And again, I've seen people doing it with no problems.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 07:07 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
I brought that up to Honda Legal dept., their answer was that the manual was in error and that none of the '05 and newer Pilots were towable four down. And again, I've seen people doing it with no problems.

Honda & Acura have flip-flopped a bit over the years, probably due to some lawsuits. If you do flat tow, make sure to follow the instructions about shifting through the gears in proper sequence (very important) and running at idle for a few minutes afterwards.

I change my transmission fluid every 20K miles for normal driving, and every 8 to 10K when flat towing. Use only HONDA ATF (Yes, it is different). Don't get sold a flush (Honda engineering specifically says NO, even though a lot of dealers sell it). You only need a quick drain and fill. There is no pan to remove or filter to replace on these transmissions.

A fair price for this service is the $60 to $80 range.
Old 07-10-2013, 03:37 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks a bunch blupill,and Mr D.I called Honda America today and was told that my Pilot was towable 4 down they say the owners manual and one other source is what this answer comes from.So I am going to try it. I am trying to figure out why a few feet of wire and a couple diodes are so expensive,Roadmaster wants $75,and E-Trailer wants $149 looking for other options.Sorry for the delay in post and reply we are at a campground and wi-fi is poor.Happy Trails.....

Tags
wiring