Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-21-2007, 06:28 AM   #1

Has anyone used a pontiac 07 or earlier models as a toad? PLease let me know your hookups and experiences. Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2007, 06:28 AM   #2

Has anyone used a pontiac 07 or earlier models as a toad? PLease let me know your hookups and experiences. Thanks

Old 06-21-2007, 08:59 AM   #3

Texas Boomers Club
I have a Chevy Malibu which to my understanding is the same drive train as the G6. Like the Pontiac G5 is a clone of the Chevy Cobalt or visa versa. I use a U.S. Gear braking system, Roadmaster EZ Twistlock Series Hidden Brackets, and a Falcon 5250 tow bar. I installed it all myself in a couple of weekends including wiring for lights. So far it tows great. It does take me a bit longer to hook up than my Jeep Cherokee due to the additional pieces on the brackets.

Mike

Harry, Socks, and Summer
M2Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 10:01 AM   #4

Jayco Owners Club
Here is a web site that shows the different engines and transmissions. The 4T45 tranny is towable.
DonavonP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 11:25 AM   #5

Texas Boomers Club
Yes, that's the transmission I have with the 3.5L engine. 2006 Malibu Maxx

Harry, Socks, and Summer
M2Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 12:29 PM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We tow a 2007 Pontiac G 6 with the 3.5 liter engine and the 4 speed automatic tranny. Cannot tow the GT or the GTP I believe and not the 6 speed transmission.
We are very happy with the car so far and have towed it twice, but leave for Colorado in 7 days. We had the Blue Ox base plate installed at a labour cost of about $320 Canadian including the light kit. We bought the light kit from Blue Ox as well and the extra bulbs sit nicely in the bottom of the rear tail lights. No need for any diodes etc. When the tabs are removed from the baseplate the base plate is almost invisible. Blue Ox gives you little plastic plugs to put into the two slots now to keep out the dirt.
We are supposed to pull one fuse located in the console near the passenger seat but so far have not actually done it. Will try it on the trip to Colorado.
You are supposed to start the engine in the morning before leaving and to let it run 5 minutes.Also to start it and let it run some when you stop for gasoline.
So far we love the car and with the 50 series tires, it handles very well and the 3.5 l V-6 provides lots of git up and go.
I have pictures of the install I could send you if you PM me.
JM2CW
2008 Pontiac G 6 & Blue Ox Aventa LX
FC Ontario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 03:39 AM   #7

I tow a 2007 Malibu, 4 cyl. with the same transmission, simply leave the key in accessory position, put her in neutral, I pull a 2 amp fuse on the passenger side of the console to prevent mileage from accumulating and go. Owners manual cautions against towing over 65mph. Have a Blue Ox towbar and baseplate and US Brake system installed in car. Great towing package.

2 Cavalier King Charles Spaniels
samabago is offline   Reply With Quote