Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-16-2015, 06:23 PM   #1

08 Bounder V10 towing Crew Cab GMC 1500

We currently flat tow a 2002 Honda CRV and frankly it's perfect, but looking to downsize the fleet by one vehicle so I want to flat tow my '14 GMC 1500 Crew Cab. based on its scaled weight, and that of the Bounder, I'll be fine on all weight limits (hitch, gcwr, etc.) but I am wondering if the couple thousand extra pounds will be really noticeable and suck even more fuel. I don't want to go through the expense of adding the baseplate if it's not going to be of value. I have been very pleased with the V10 performance, much better than I expected, but will I be working it too hard with 5500lbs in tow compared to 3500lbs? anyone else towing with a big gasser something that size? Bounder is 38 feet on 24k chassis with 30k gcwr.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2015, 06:49 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Our jeep tips the scales at about 5000 pounds in trail ready form. While we don't rocket up 6% grades, it gets us there.

Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 06:53 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
It will pull it however if you're ever in an accident , any lawyer worth there salt will try to hang you for towing beyond your specs.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 06:58 PM   #4

it's not beyond the specs though...

6000lb tow rating. scaled it and it fits under gvwr as well
Old 05-16-2015, 07:00 PM   #5
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I believe it's beyond your hitch rating.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 07:13 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
RVguide says tow limit for the '08 35E is the same as my '07 35E which is 5000#.
I recently switched from a '12 GMC Terrain to an '06 Jeep Liberty with an almost 1000# difference (lighter) and I can really feel the difference in towing noise and engine performance.
Old 05-16-2015, 07:57 PM   #7

my 38P has a 6000lb hitch rating
Old 05-17-2015, 01:13 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by OktsCamp View Post
We currently flat tow a 2002 Honda CRV and frankly it's perfect, but looking to downsize the fleet by one vehicle so I want to flat tow my '14 GMC 1500 Crew Cab. based on its scaled weight, and that of the Bounder, I'll be fine on all weight limits (hitch, gcwr, etc.) but I am wondering if the couple thousand extra pounds will be really noticeable and suck even more fuel. I don't want to go through the expense of adding the baseplate if it's not going to be of value. I have been very pleased with the V10 performance, much better than I expected, but will I be working it too hard with 5500lbs in tow compared to 3500lbs? anyone else towing with a big gasser something that size? Bounder is 38 feet on 24k chassis with 30k gcwr.
OKtsCamp,
Your V-10 is most certainly going to work a bit harder on even the slightest grades, that's for sure. Yep, you'll make it to your destination, all be it, maybe just a tad later. Lots of good gear use will help you. Don't let it think for itself. You know your rigs and, its power band. Think for it and, be ahead of the game when it comes to grades and other situations. That will help that V-10 out immensely.

We tow almost the same truck. It's an '11 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4x4. And, sitting in the bed most of our trips is an '08 Honda Goldwing, GL 1800, riding on a Rampage lift/carrier. So, our truck, as it sits by itself, hovers right at 5300 lbs. based on some certified scales. The Wing, right at 900 lbs. And the lift, right close to 275. So, we're dragging along, right close to 6500 lbs.

Now, our coach, an '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the C-7 330HP CAT, has just a tad more torque than your V-10 but, even it slows pretty good on many grades. We get there, when we get there. So, think you'll be just fine. As far as base plate(s) are concerned, I installed the one on our '11 Honda CRV and I also installed the ones in our '11 GMC. The GMC was by far, about 10 times easier than the CRV was. Your grill arrangement on your model year might be a tad different than ours but, here's a couple of pics on ours looks.
Scott
P.S. We've been using the Ready Brake auxiliary braking system for quite a few years but, due to it's being worn out, we're making the transition to the M&G System for braking.
Scott

FIRE UP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 11:21 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

You will notice it on the grades (up or down) where the extra weight is a factor, but not much on the flats. Tire rolling resistance is probably higher on the truck, but not enough to make a noticeable difference. Conceivably the truck adds wind resistance too, but that's almost impossible to predict without testing in a wind tunnel.

Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bounder, tow, towing, v10