Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-05-2008, 10:06 AM   #1

We've decided, until we can afford to tow "four down", we're going to tow our 2008 Honda MT civic on a used dolly we just purchased. We'll only be towing it occassionally - and locally.....but wondered if anyone has put a civic on one of those? We just brought the dolly home......and haven't tried hooking it up or loading it yet. Some day we hope to have a jeep wrangler to pull "four down"......but for now......

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2008, 10:06 AM   #2

We've decided, until we can afford to tow "four down", we're going to tow our 2008 Honda MT civic on a used dolly we just purchased. We'll only be towing it occassionally - and locally.....but wondered if anyone has put a civic on one of those? We just brought the dolly home......and haven't tried hooking it up or loading it yet. Some day we hope to have a jeep wrangler to pull "four down"......but for now......

Old 08-05-2008, 11:11 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Having pulled a dinghy both 4-down and on a dolly, my personal preference now would be a good dolly over setting up a vehicle for 4-down towing.

There are many advantages and dis advantages for both, but the one I like best for the dolly is I can switch dinghies and not have to get all of the brackets, brakes and wiring done.

The dolly may be a problem to load in wet weather and with a Civic, the front air dam may strike the dolly. I carried a pair of 2x10 boards that I used as a ramp to get some height on the dolly ramps at times.

I would get a dolly with surge brakes as a minimum.

Ken
Old 08-07-2008, 05:29 AM   #4

We pull a 2006 Honda civic hybrid on a Demco KK460SS tow dolly with no problems. One thing to consider is to move the drivers seat foward and capture the steering wheel with the seatbelt. Otherwise the steering wheel turns slightly and the car tracks off center behind the motorhome. The steering wheel won't lock in the straight forward position on our car.
Old 08-07-2008, 05:05 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
..I have been towing a 1998 Civic on a Tow dolly and love it. I don't have any problems loading or unloading and the wheels stay right where I leave them. I am usin a Roadmaster Dolly with electric brakes.
A few things I added were a spare tire mounted on the tongue of the dolly and a third wheel which comes in handy to push it around in the event you have to unhook it.
Normally at campgrounds I get a pull thru site and can leave the dolly hooked up to RV and just unload the car. If not then I unload the car and put pin in the dolly and back it in the campsite with RV. Usually at State Parks the dolly has to get disconnected as most sites aren't long enough for RV and Dolly. I even have a hitch on Honda so my DW can tow dolly to campsite if need be.
Enjoy it and it is the only way to go considering all the things needed to tow four down plus a lot of vehicles can't be towed four down.
One last thing to consider about towing four down and that is the steering mechanism. Normally you have the engine running with the use of power steering, well what happens when engine is turned off and no power steering? Do front tires turn as easy, no and they probably scuff or mess up alignment, a little food for thought.
Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 02:41 PM   #6

thank you for the informative reply! Our 2008 Honda Civic is a manual trans - so do we lock the steering wheel? How, exactely, do the straps go over the tires? Our dolly is a Stehl that has a pivoting axle. do we hook the dolly to the motorhome, then drive the car onto it? Is it hard to line it up?