Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-11-2011, 03:48 PM   #1

08 saturn

i have just hooked up my new ready brake system to my 08 saturn i have read and heard that you are supposed to remove the 2 amp ignition fuse and leave it in acc.I did that but the ignition is still on with the fuse removed,and it does not tell you to remove the fuse in the manual under flat towing anybody know why...pk42

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2011, 04:19 PM   #2
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by pk42 View Post
i have just hooked up my new ready brake system to my 08 saturn i have read and heard that you are supposed to remove the 2 amp ignition fuse and leave it in acc.I did that but the ignition is still on with the fuse removed,and it does not tell you to remove the fuse in the manual under flat towing anybody know why...pk42
I switch off (remove) the fuse and my IP goes dark in Neutral with the key OFF.

Take a look here:

Fuse By-Pass Switch for 2008 Saturn Vue

RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 05:59 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriVer View Post
I switch off (remove) the fuse and my IP goes dark in Neutral with the key OFF.

Take a look here:

Fuse By-Pass Switch for 2008 Saturn Vue

For 2 years, after I bought my '08 Saturn, I was having to pull the fuse as required. I even left the fuse panel/cover on the console off most of the time, to make it easier. Eventually, the fuse broke into, as a result of frequent pulling. Recently I purchased the By-Pass switch that Driver mentions above. I found that it was easy to install and works great! All you have to do is "flip" the on/off button. Cover on the fuse pannel stays on now. Curiosly, Driver says he turns the key off, I always turn the key to "accessory" and shift to neutral, because I thought that was what the manual said, in order to keep the steering wheel from locking. I'll have to check on that.
Old 10-12-2011, 01:11 AM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My 08 Vue instrument panel goes dark, the radio goes dead, and the chimes stop when I remove the fuse. The amber ring light around the key stays on and the head/tail lamps stay on until several seconds after closing the driver's door.

The lights being on scared me the first time I towed, but then they went off by themselves. It was dark and the auto headlamp feature turned them on until the timeout.

If this is your first time out with it remember the first time you run the Vue engine you will smell rubber burning. I pulled over to the side of the road to check the belt. It was an accumulation of road debris after only 400 miles. I guess it happens with normal driving but burns off as you drive. Either that or my motorhome is losing rubber and shoving it into the Vue.

Also, I installed the ReadyBrute, adjusted the cables, took it on a 10 mile test run, and adjusted the main brake cable once again. Towed from Atlanta to Chattanooga and everything was fine. Then Chattanooga to Nashville. On arrival I checked the system and found the black main brake cable hanging loose from the Vue. The factory crimped end at the brake lever had pulled loose. Closer exam showed the crimp to be much poorer and quite different than the red breakaway cable. I'm still on a 5000 mile trip and haven't been able to tell the ReadyBrute folks about it yet. I hadn't cut the cable so I was able to buy additional u-clamps and remake the cable. The new clamps won't slip through the slot in the guide bracket now, so the cable is held captive on the tow bar. I also bought more aircraft cable to make a spare. I don't trust the vinyl coated cable not to slip through the clamps, so I bought uncoated cable for the spare. The black cable already has the vinyl worn through where it passes through the guide slot. I'm watching the cable itself for signs of fraying.

I wasn't prepared for the performance hit that the 5000 lb. Vue would make. The 08 and newer models have steel body panels unlike the previous plastic ones. Overall I'm happy with the setup. Have a good trip!
HarleyWJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 06:19 PM   #5

Driver thanks for the great info,and Harley the same thing happend to me on my test run in 5 mi.I went out and bought the parts for the switch cost 8$ easy fix again thanks for the great info.....pk42
Old 10-12-2011, 08:16 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

What model of Saturn is it? They are not all identical in their towing instructions, and not every vehicle needs to have a fuse removed. If the owner manual has a section for Dinghy Towing and it does not say to pull a fuse, why would you do so?
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 09:57 AM   #7

It is a saturn vue xr but every one seems to say that you have to remove the fuse even though it is not mentiond in the manual...pk42
Old 10-13-2011, 12:16 PM   #8
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
It is a saturn vue xr but every one seems to say that you have to remove the fuse even though it is not mentiond in the manual...pk42
I have an XE and it is mentioned in my manual.
Old 10-13-2011, 03:02 PM   #9

08 vue xr

i have just installed the switch and it doesn,t make any differance it still starts and every thing else seems to work so why pull the fuse..pk42
Old 10-13-2011, 03:05 PM   #10
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
i have just installed the switch and it doesn,t make any differance it still starts and every thing else seems to work so why pull the fuse..pk42
I'm only guessing .... BUT ..... perhaps you overlooked something.
Old 10-13-2011, 03:08 PM   #11

i will double check thanks
Old 10-14-2011, 12:25 AM   #12

Gulf Streamers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Here's what my manual says:

To tow your vehicle from the front with all four wheels
on the ground:
1. Position and attach the vehicle to tow it behind the
recreational vehicle.
2. Turn the ignition key to ACC/ACCESSORY.
3. Shift the transmission to NEUTRAL (N).
4. Turn fog lamps and all accessories off.
5. Remove the IGN SW fuse from the Instrument
Panel Fuse Block. See Instrument Panel Fuse
Block on page 5-97.

I think if you pull the correct fuse you will see most of the IP go dead.
HarleyWJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 05:36 PM   #13

08 vue xr

i doublechecked everything and it doesn,t make any difference with the fuse in or out and it does not say to remove the fuse in the ,i have looked at many internet sites and can not find any real solutions to this situation..pk42
Old 10-17-2011, 02:37 PM   #14

08 vue

problem solved, my manual and the fuse panel on the consol do not match on the fuse location,but it defintely does not say to pull the 2 amp.ign.fuse i instaled the switch on the fuse and now works..pk42