Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-02-2008, 04:07 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Hi All,

Took possesion of a brand spankied new Saturn '08 Vue XR over the weekend. Now I,ve got to rig for towing. I figured on doing all the work myself BUT..... I'm still confused over how to do lights. Is it better to use a seperate bulb system or diode protected splice into the cars wiring? Is there room in the light housings to place a seperate bulb? Where in the housing should I put the bulb? Will a diode protected unit work with my current M/H, an '04 Adventurer 38R? Amazing how the mechanics of the baseplate install don't bother me a bit but the electrics are giving me fits. Any help will be appreciated,

Thanks
Ol'Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-02-2008, 04:07 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Hi All,

Took possesion of a brand spankied new Saturn '08 Vue XR over the weekend. Now I,ve got to rig for towing. I figured on doing all the work myself BUT..... I'm still confused over how to do lights. Is it better to use a seperate bulb system or diode protected splice into the cars wiring? Is there room in the light housings to place a seperate bulb? Where in the housing should I put the bulb? Will a diode protected unit work with my current M/H, an '04 Adventurer 38R? Amazing how the mechanics of the baseplate install don't bother me a bit but the electrics are giving me fits. Any help will be appreciated,

Thanks
Old 06-02-2008, 07:07 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
I bought Roadmaster diodes and wiring kit and I'm capable of doing all the wiring but I decide to buy a set of Harbor Freight magnetic lights for $19.99 I bought a round 6 wire to flat 4 wire adapter at Walmart for $9.95. Total install time was 2 minutes. Freed up time for more important retirement activities.

-Tom

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 03:59 PM   #4

The tradeoff between using separate bulbs in the tail lights, which simplify the wiring greatly, is that they are not as visible as the OEM bulbs from the factory, as the OEM bulb placement is designed for maximum reflectivity.

I prefer the use of diodes, which maximizes the OEM design. More complex to install, however.
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 04:06 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I took the "wiring for dummies" way out. I had the dealer wire the lights. They work fine and if something goes wrong, it's Saturn's problem.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 04:17 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
I have a new 2008 Vue XE and I just installed a "Bulb Kit." Blue Ox part number: BX 8869.

Mucho better than diodes and hang on lights. I have the 4 wire system however when I get back from Richmond the dealer said that he would install a 6 wire for me. I prefer using the 6 wire coiled cable. Everything about the 6 wire appears to be more robust.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 05:41 PM   #7

I went the diode route as I didn't like drilling holes in a new car.
Still had to dig out the wires to connect diodes.
Either way works, just do what works easiest for you!
Baby Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 02:04 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks guys,
Appreciate the inputs. I'm not a hanger on kind of guy either. I went the 8869 route with my jeep and it was simple. I don't like tearing up a new car either but I wanted the visability of the OEM lights. Well my dilemma continues. Hey Driver, 4 wire vs 6 wire??? Please elaborate. Thanks
Old 06-03-2008, 04:35 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Blue Ox recommended the light kit, there is plenty of room for the bulb. Fortunately our MH is high enough that the turn signals show as those bulbs aren't as bright as the OEM.