Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-09-2009, 07:06 AM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
'09/'10 Escape non hybrid successful 4 down ?

Has anyone towed the Ford Escape 09/10 non-hybrid successfully 4 down? I keep reading about transmission horror stories and the suggestions of lowering the fluid level or changing the dip stick. Has anyone made this work?

George Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2009, 12:42 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Z View Post
Has anyone towed the Ford Escape 09/10 non-hybrid successfully 4 down? I keep reading about transmission horror stories and the suggestions of lowering the fluid level or changing the dip stick. Has anyone made this work?
Just traveled from Pa to Florida with no problems. First took the my 2009 Escape to the dealers to have TSB 09-20-13 done. This is to lower oil level for flat towing and driving. Run engine 5 minutes before towing and at each fuel stop or 6 hours. Happy towing!

Old 11-10-2009, 03:51 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by beejay25 View Post
Just traveled from Pa to Florida with no problems. First took the my 2009 Escape to the dealers to have TSB 09-20-13 done. This is to lower oil level for flat towing and driving. Run engine 5 minutes before towing and at each fuel stop or 6 hours. Happy towing!
Thanks BJ, What tow bar and aux. braking do you use and would you recommend them?

George
Old 11-10-2009, 06:50 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Z View Post
Thanks BJ, What tow bar and aux. braking do you use and would you recommend them?

George
George I am using a Blue Ox baseplate, a Blue Ox Aventa tow bar and a US Gear Unified Tow Brake. The tow bar and Unified Tow Brake were used in my Jeep which I towed over 80,000 miles and transferred to the Escape. I am very happy with both and recommend both. The Unified Tow Brake is installed once, uses a vacuum motor to give you the same power brakes you use when driving, has a break a way system and only needs a two wire connector to connect. I changed to a 7 wire coil cord and included the brake wires in the 7 wire cord, so I only have 1 connection to hookup. Happy Towing!
Old 11-11-2009, 07:11 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
beejay25,can I ask you why you went from the Jeep to the Escape?I bought an Escape,but I'm nervous now.Thinking about going to the Jeep! I've never towed 4 down.

Workhorse W-22, UltraPower,496 cubic inches of
Whaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 08:06 PM   #6

Quote:
beejay25,can I ask you why you went from the Jeep to the Escape?I bought an Escape,but I'm nervous now.Thinking about going to the Jeep! I've never towed 4 down.
Whaler My jeep was a 1998 with 130,000 miles on odometer and another 78,000 towed. Went to trade during Cash for Clunkers and the new jeeps didn't qualify. Second choice was the Escape which we are happy with the better ride and mileage.

Make sure that the fluid level is right before towing, Check yourself, do NOT trust the dealers techs. Print out the TSB attached and take to dealer to make sure they know what to check as they are clueless.

Happy Towing!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Flat Towing.pdf (72.3 KB, 369 views)
Old 01-11-2010, 07:12 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whaler View Post
Whaler, did you decide on the Escape or Jeep? We are still looking at the Escape or Mariner.

George
Old 01-11-2010, 05:43 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hi George,I(wife's car) have a 2009 Escape that we bought back in February of 2009,trading a 2001 Escape.I'm leaning against using it as a toad though.
This is the third time I have tried to answer George,I hope that it works this time.

Old 01-11-2010, 05:46 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Yea! it works

Old 01-11-2010, 06:06 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whaler View Post
Hi George,I(wife's car) have a 2009 Escape that we bought back in February of 2009,trading a 2001 Escape.I'm leaning against using it as a toad though.
This is the third time I have tried to answer George,I hope that it works this time.
Thanks for the reply. I think we have decided on an Escape in the spring. Just need to find one that really catches our eye. I believe Ford has remedied the trans. problem by lowering the fluid level for flat towing.

Thanks again Whaler
Old 01-11-2010, 08:37 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
I bought an 09 escape to tow behind my MH. It was used and had 5000 miles. After I found out from the previous owner that it had gone thru 5 transmissions in 5000 miles because he also towed it, I TOOK IT BACK AND GOT MY MONEY BACK. I now tow an 09 Honda CRV automatic. Dick
Dick1142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 05:49 AM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick1142 View Post
I bought an 09 escape to tow behind my MH. It was used and had 5000 miles. After I found out from the previous owner that it had gone thru 5 transmissions in 5000 miles because he also towed it, I TOOK IT BACK AND GOT MY MONEY BACK. I now tow an 09 Honda CRV automatic. Dick
Dick, would you know if the previous owner had the trans. fluid level lowered and still lost a trans? DW and I just like the look of the Escape over the CRV and it will be her dailey driver.

Thanks
George
Old 01-12-2010, 02:42 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Lets see if Stillwater,or any one else comes back with any more info George.Kinda makes me mad though George,seeing it listed as towable in the magazine,I checked it out in the owners manual of the '09 model,and that said it was towable 4-down without modifications! Of course the new manuals have been changed.Hopefully we can get some fresh info.

Old 01-12-2010, 09:43 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
I don't know if the fluid level had been altered, but it was my understanding that Ford Tech Reps had been involved in analyzing the problem. Dick

Dick1142 is offline   Reply With Quote