Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-20-2009, 04:28 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Folks,

I have my toad now, my blue ox aventa II towbar and trying to decide which baseplate I should install. I have looked at both the Roadmaster and Blue Ox baseplates and it seems that the Roadmaster baseplate requires less modification than the Blue Ox on the 09 Jeep. Anyone else does this install. I plan on doing this install myself and the thought of more than drilling seems (using recip saw) seems that it may require more surgery on this new jeep. Thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks

maclonchas is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2009, 08:35 AM   #2

I just did this install on my 08 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. I debated also on the Blue Ox vs the Roadmaster baseplate and went with the Blue Ox. The install was not too hard for me by myself using the tools that I have at home. I had to buy the drill bit to drill the frame since I didn't have one big enough and I also had to buy an 18mm socket since I didn't have one of those either. Cutting the frame bothered me also but my cordless saw when through the metal like butter...

If I had to do it again I would do the Blue Ox baseplate again since it was pretty simple and looks good after getting it done.

I also went with the Aventa tow bar and the Cool Tech Lighting harness and everything has worked well together for the 800 miles that I have used it so far. We also chose to use the Brake Buddy Vantage braking system and it has worked well also....

Old 02-24-2009, 05:51 AM   #3

I completely agree with Jemc02, the Blue Ox baseplate is the way to go for a Jeep. On the front of the baseplate are two large holes where the baseplate adapters go, purchase two black plastic 2" hitchball covers and slide them over the holes to keep out dirt when you are not towing. The covers are about $2 each and fit snugly, to remove them twist right or left and then pull, they will come right off. I also purchased the Blue Ox tow bar which I leave mounted to my coach. If you go this route be sure and use a lock and cover. The Cool Tech lighting harness is a great product. I also use the Brake Buddy Vantage braking system and love it. When you mount the break-away switch there is a membrane just below the Jeep master cylinder to run the wire thru. Just cut an X in the membrane, push the wire thru and then seal with silicone, VERY easy! Good luck and Happy RVing!
soonerdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 06:30 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally posted by maclonchas:
Folks,

I have my toad now, my blue ox aventa II towbar and trying to decide which baseplate I should install. I have looked at both the Roadmaster and Blue Ox baseplates and it seems that the Roadmaster baseplate requires less modification than the Blue Ox on the 09 Jeep. Anyone else does this install. I plan on doing this install myself and the thought of more than drilling seems (using recip saw) seems that it may require more surgery on this new jeep. Thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks
The installation of the Blue Ox base Plate is relatively simple. The cutting of those small tabs on the frame go WAY easier than any of the drilling. See also

2007-2009 Jeep Wrangler Flat Towing

for a very useful thread on towing the JK.
Old 03-09-2009, 11:59 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I use Roadmaster base plates with no problem on my 07 Wrangler. Did the install myself with no special tools. I used the 1428's but have read that a new model number has succeeded it. I think it's just a matter of choice. I found my base plates on eBay for 150.00 dollars. It was to good of a deal to pass up. I also use the ReadyBrake / ReadyBrute tow bar and aux braking. Very happy with my install.
Rick 2005 Dolphin 5376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 08:22 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I used the Blue Ox . Simple install. Don't let the cutting bother you.