Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-31-2013, 04:47 PM   #1

10 Wrangler, Cooltech, Ready Brute problems

Sunday I did my first test run towing the 10 wrangler behind our 04 minnie winnie. The setup is readybrute/cooltech. Everything worked fine, did a bunch of testing and fine tuning at the high school parking lot, then a 10 mile or so run at 55.

Today however the Wrangler freaked. First it was a bell and the esp,bas and traction control lights. Then the parking break and abs lights and bell about once a minute. When the bell dings the speedo go to zero. I turned around and headed for the dealer, on the way the check engine light came on (amber) and the jeep died once at a stop light. I got it restarted but i think i lost power a couple of times, wipers stops, all warning lights came on etc ...

The dealer said all the codes pointed to the brakes being applied at an "inappropriate" time and towing it with the key on caused the problem. But i didn't have the key on. He then moved onto the cooltech caused the problem. And i should disconnect the battery.

My scangauge didn't see any codes.

They cleared all the codes and so far it has not come back.

Any help would be great, hoping I did not kill the computer. And in turn my marriage.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-31-2013, 04:56 PM   #2

What is cooltech?
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 05:07 PM   #3

Cooltech: Cool Tech LLC. JK Tow Harness Kit

I thought on the 10s you had to pull a fuse. Might want to double check.
Old 10-31-2013, 07:17 PM   #4

I have the Cooltech harness on a 12 and initially had a ton of problems, nothing like yours but problems still. Cooltech customer service is the worst I have ever dealt with. My problem turned out to be a loose ground in the umbilical cord. It would ohm through but would lose ground under load. Cooltech finally told me that my Jeep wiring must be wrong because there was no way there was a problem with their harness. The next jeep will have a Mopar harness on it.
Old 10-31-2013, 07:26 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
I don't trust those wiring systems that connect to the vehicle lights. I always go the route of installing extra bulbs. It's especially easy on some Jeep models because the tail light enclosures already have a spot for an extra bulb. My installer told me it's because they use an extra one for the European models.
Old 11-04-2013, 09:10 AM   #6

Thanks everyone.
Old 11-04-2013, 02:33 PM   #7

I think the '11 wrangler I owned previously said to disconnect the battery. Might check your owners manual.

I also had ReadyBrute and Cooltech. Had some issues with Cooltech (search for posts by me if that is of interest to you). Current toad is wired with separate bulbs, and that is now my preference.
Old 11-04-2013, 02:47 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan H View Post
I think the '11 wrangler I owned previously said to disconnect the battery. Might check your owners manual.
I don't think the Jeep manual says anything about the battery. I certainly never disconnected it on my '10 Wrangler or '12 Liberty.

joe
Old 11-04-2013, 07:25 PM   #9

I have Cool Tech on my 12 wrangler Sport for over a year and about 7,000 tow miles behind my motor home with no problems at all.
Old 11-05-2013, 08:13 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mody n Domy View Post
I have Cool Tech on my 12 wrangler Sport for over a year and about 7,000 tow miles behind my motor home with no problems at all.
What happens when you have a turn signal on and the jeep's brakes are applied by your braking system? In my case, the brake lights would override the turn signal, and the blinking would stop. As soon as I came to a stop and the readybrute released the brake, the signal would flash again. That was my only issue and the reason I now prefer a separate bulb system.
Old 11-08-2013, 01:20 PM   #11

Byran I have the Blue Ox Patriot breaking system and have never had this problem.
Old 03-12-2014, 03:17 PM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDiver View Post
I don't trust those wiring systems that connect to the vehicle lights. I always go the route of installing extra bulbs. It's especially easy on some Jeep models because the tail light enclosures already have a spot for an extra bulb. My installer told me it's because they use an extra one for the European models.
I don't trust that either. Easy to install an additional light in the taillight assembly and use a wire harness from blue ox.
Lostdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 03:54 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by japple View Post
Sunday I did my first test run towing the 10 wrangler behind our 04 minnie winnie. The setup is readybrute/cooltech.
I have a very similar setup - '10 Wrangler, Blue Ox base plate, ReadyBrute bar, Cooltech harness. I've been towing with the battery disconnected and no problems. I made a 250 mile drive last week with the battery connected after observing that the steering wheel does NOT lock when the key is in the off position. No problems following this trip either. None of that is likely to help you but possibly another data point...
Old 06-17-2014, 01:24 PM   #14

Now I have the no turn signals if the brakes are on problem. Ugh even with the jeep battery disconnected.