Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-03-2016, 07:15 AM   #1

1000 lb motorcycle carrier

Does anyone have any advice or experience with these. I've seen these advertised online and I'm just not sure it will fit my application. I have a heavy cruiser, about 875 lbs. The ones I've seen seem to fit like a regular motorcycle carrier with a 2" hitch. My DP tongue weight is 1000 pounds, but if you factor in the weight of the carrier it may push the weight over that.

On the one hand, it seems like a great solution. But I also get a slight sense of too good to be right feel. Not quite sure what the basket is for in the link below as I would think it would need more reinforcement instead of a basket, but then again I'm unfamiliar with these. It would be great if I didn't have to sell my well loaded touring bike for a smaller one, but I'm not risking it, if this isn't the right solution. (also, unsure how loading a heavy bike on there would be practical). Here's one I'm considering.

https://www.amazon.com/Motorcycle-Sc...9GFDQPQ9J4DYAH

Any advice, pro or con would be helpful.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2016, 07:26 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
They claim 1000 lb capacity but say it carries scooters or dirt bikes. No way would I trust it to carry my 900 lb Harley.

jt
2005 Newmar Kountry Star gas 3742, Workhorse 8.1L w/Allison 5 speed.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum

harleyjt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 08:31 AM   #3

Read the reviews=== falls apart with lightweight scooters.
Old 08-03-2016, 12:41 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelbones View Post
Does anyone have any advice or experience with these. I've seen these advertised online and I'm just not sure it will fit my application. I have a heavy cruiser, about 875 lbs. The ones I've seen seem to fit like a regular motorcycle carrier with a 2" hitch. My DP tongue weight is 1000 pounds, but if you factor in the weight of the carrier it may push the weight over that.

On the one hand, it seems like a great solution. But I also get a slight sense of too good to be right feel. Not quite sure what the basket is for in the link below as I would think it would need more reinforcement instead of a basket, but then again I'm unfamiliar with these. It would be great if I didn't have to sell my well loaded touring bike for a smaller one, but I'm not risking it, if this isn't the right solution. (also, unsure how loading a heavy bike on there would be practical). Here's one I'm considering.

https://www.amazon.com/Motorcycle-Sc...9GFDQPQ9J4DYAH

Any advice, pro or con would be helpful.
Anglebones,
Well, first off, we need to know a few things before you really get into this thought process. First, what kind/make/model/chassis/engine coach do you have? Second, are you planning on towing a toad, Jeep/CRV/car/truck etc. behind whatever you put this carrier on?

When planning on carrying an 875 lb. machine back there, you want strength, durability, structural integrity, and more, for holding and carrying that kind of weight. A hitch mounted system it out of the question. About the most weight one of those would handle safely is maybe, MAYBE, around 500 lbs. I know that many of them are rated for higher but, that's a whole different kind of application, i.e. trailer, which is considerably more stable than a tetering 875 lb. motorcycle.

If you have the parameters to mount a carrier, i.e. strong frame, clearance between the lift/carrier and the back of the coach, truck etc. that you are planning on mounting this unit on, than you can go ahead with this project. You see, with the lift/carrier on the back, you'll need adequate clearance between not only the lift and the coach but, also the bikes parts, i.e. handle bars, pegs, bags, etc. and the back of the coach and, any tie downs etc.

We used the Hydralift for a few years and over 8,000 miles carring an '08 Honda GL 1800 which, hovers on the scales at or around, 900 lbs. The lift itself was around, 375 or so. I did all the calculation and subsequent mounting of it. I removed the factory hitch and, utilized the same bolt mounting holes on the bottom of the frame for the adapter steel that I needed for the lift. It was the smartest thing I could do.

And, by tying it right into the frame, it was about as sturdy and structurally sound, as possible. I also set that lift up so that it was removeable in right at 6 minutes total. That way, I could do rear coach maintenance etc. without that lift in the way.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 10:24 PM   #5

I would be very concerned about bumps and pot holes in the road.They could
create a lot of down force on the carrier, and bike.
purrin along is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 08:33 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Anglebones,
Well, first off, we need to know a few things before you really get into this thought process. First, what kind/make/model/chassis/engine coach do you have? Second, are you planning on towing a toad, Jeep/CRV/car/truck etc. behind whatever you put this carrier on?

When planning on carrying an 875 lb. machine back there, you want strength, durability, structural integrity, and more, for holding and carrying that kind of weight. A hitch mounted system it out of the question. About the most weight one of those would handle safely is maybe, MAYBE, around 500 lbs. I know that many of them are rated for higher but, that's a whole different kind of application, i.e. trailer, which is considerably more stable than a tetering 875 lb. motorcycle.

If you have the parameters to mount a carrier, i.e. strong frame, clearance between the lift/carrier and the back of the coach, truck etc. that you are planning on mounting this unit on, than you can go ahead with this project. You see, with the lift/carrier on the back, you'll need adequate clearance between not only the lift and the coach but, also the bikes parts, i.e. handle bars, pegs, bags, etc. and the back of the coach and, any tie downs etc.

We used the Hydralift for a few years and over 8,000 miles carring an '08 Honda GL 1800 which, hovers on the scales at or around, 900 lbs. The lift itself was around, 375 or so. I did all the calculation and subsequent mounting of it. I removed the factory hitch and, utilized the same bolt mounting holes on the bottom of the frame for the adapter steel that I needed for the lift. It was the smartest thing I could do.

And, by tying it right into the frame, it was about as sturdy and structurally sound, as possible. I also set that lift up so that it was removeable in right at 6 minutes total. That way, I could do rear coach maintenance etc. without that lift in the way.
Scott
First off, thank you for your analysis. I'm pretty much going to rule out the 1000# carrier idea. As I said, it sounds good, but as you point out there are red flags I need to consider. My DP has a 1000# tongue weight (FWIW), and a 10,000 lb towing capacity.

While one thought was to use a carrier AND flatbed carrier for a car, I agree that that would be too much. So when I saw the 1000# carrier I thought it might be a solution to tow JUST a bike, not a bike and car. After much consideration, I think I'm going to sell my Kawasaki Vulcan Nomad dresser. It's been a great bike but time for it to go. What I decided is to get a smaller bike so that I can get a 500-600# hitch mounted carrier. Less worries and I get a new bike. Of course I have to sell the old one first. I'll miss it, but with this Florida summer, I've been driving it less anyway lately. Getting into something new, may be just the thing I need.

So, in short, our plan now is to only mount the lighter bike on a hitch carrier for some trips and use the flatbed/car for longer trips. Here is one example for a 600 lb carrier (I've seen plenty others in that size though):
https://www.amazon.com/Mounted-Motor...+carrier&psc=1