Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-13-2019, 09:07 PM   #1

1994 Saturn SC2, with Blue Ox, need brakes?

I'm just getting a 2010 Tioga 28Y ready for back on the road, Have towed an old 1994 Saturn SC2 (low miles in great shape) with a Blue Ox setup, has wiring for the lights installed, but am reading about having a braking system on toads. Is this a new law, and what are the weight limits? I want to be safe, and the Saturn tows 4 down like it's not even there. Under 2500 lbs. I fully understand it on higher weight vehicles, in fact when I was a kid our trailer had a hydraulic tongue braking system, but can't seem to find definitive info. Am in CA btw.
tap4154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2019, 09:29 PM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Many states require a braking system no matter what the weight is! I would not tow any vehicle without a braking system!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 08:13 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Many states require a braking system no matter what the weight is! I would not tow any vehicle without a braking system!
I appreciate the reply. I'll look into the braking systems. Still would like to know the law, however. Seems very vague and hard to find conclusive answers.

But again, I feel pretty safe with this low-profile Saturn, low weight, rolling on all four with the Blue Ox. Towing a tall full-size SUV without brakes... now that would make me nervous.

I always leave a lot of room between me and vehicle ahead. Also spent many years towing a ski boat with no brakes, and a two-wheel trailer would be far more likely to jackknife when braking fast than a small coupe with four wheels on the ground

I think for the first trips out I'll be going solo, and just take the ebike on a rack. It is nice to have the car for touring if staying in one place for a while, but in some cases for short trips, or doing day stops, it's not necessary. Also easy to park at a grocery store in a class C 28 footer, if need be.
Old 04-14-2019, 09:35 AM   #4

Ah, I found it. In CA you aren't required to have brakes on the towed vehicle if it's under 3,000 lbs. At least according to this page...

https://rvibrake.com/pages/flat-towing-law
Old 04-14-2019, 09:43 AM   #5

So if you never leave California and the towbar never disconnects you are good to go.
bldrbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 09:55 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bldrbob View Post
So if you never leave California and the towbar never disconnects you are good to go.

According to the link I posted towing the Saturn, below 2500 lbs, would be legal in most states. Blue Ox is a solid towing system and I'm obsessive about making sure it's on correctly, and that the security chains are on.
Old 04-14-2019, 08:53 PM   #7

I suggest you read the thread 'The Physics of Towed Vehicle Braking' that is pinned near the top of this forum. It's got some good information to help make an informed decision. You might also google the phrase 'failed tow bars' for some interesting reading.
Your toad is a light vehicle but it is still well over a ton of static weight. I would consider replacing the safety cables with actual chains if you're not going to use supplemental braking.
Old 04-15-2019, 07:51 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Sky View Post
I suggest you read the thread 'The Physics of Towed Vehicle Braking' that is pinned near the top of this forum. It's got some good information to help make an informed decision. You might also google the phrase 'failed tow bars' for some interesting reading.
Your toad is a light vehicle but it is still well over a ton of static weight. I would consider replacing the safety cables with actual chains if you're not going to use supplemental braking.

I have read that. Also have read several stories about the Blue Ox failing. Two cases were a Ford Escape (4,000 lbs) and a Jeep (2,500?) that had braking systems. In both instances the driver braked quickly, then sped up. What seems to me happened is when they suddenly braked, the toad braking system kicked in, but didn't release fast enough when they accelerated, perhaps causing the tow bar failure.

So in my view the remote braking system can actually introduce yet another variable that may not be worth the risk in my case, with only a 2300 lb small coupe.

I hit the brakes had, the Saturn (with braking system) locks up, I accelerate as the Saturn brakes are still locked up = broken tow arm, maybe even cables.

So I guess there's no way to remove all risk. We all have to look at our circumstances and make a choice, unless that choice has been mandated by law.

As far as towing a 4,000+ lb vehicle behind the MH, my choice would be not to do that.
Old 04-15-2019, 08:16 AM   #9

I sincerely hope that your decision works out well for you.
Old 04-15-2019, 08:27 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Sky View Post
I sincerely hope that your decision works out well for you.

I appreciate that. And again, IMHO both of those tow bar failures I cited may not have occurred had they not had the remote braking system.

Tags
blue ox, brake, brakes