Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-25-2012, 09:20 PM   #15

National RV Owners Club
The brake system in the Toad could easily be the most costly of all the components you need for towing, so it's tempting to forgo one. But other than the laws requirements, it just makes good sense to have one. The brakes on the coach are designed to stop the coach only, adding 2500 to 3000 pounds pushing you along really matters.
Dick

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2012, 09:52 PM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Toad Brakes

The biggest "Legal" Hurdle concerning Brakes and Requirements is this!

There are presently No Transport Canada or U.S. DOT Standards for Braking Systems or for that matter Tow Bars ! So there can be No Legal Requirement anywhere in Canada or the USA that can enforce compliance with any Rules or Regulations that have been dreamed up by anyone anywhere!

That said If You want to Add a Braking system please do so They all seem to work to some degree . If You feel that Your Rig stops safely without a secondary Braking System You are Legal and are not in violation of the Law.

Of course there are requirements that vary from Place to place concerning percentage of CGVW and stopping distances that You must adhere to.

The point that I am trying to make is that You are in control of Your vehicle. You are responsible for the safe operation of that vehicle. In the event of an accident , You will be held responsible ,if You are at fault!

As long as You are NOT Responsible You will be held Blameless regardless of whether Your Rig is equipped with Auxilliary Brakes, A GPS , or Whatever!

Don't let the Fear Mongers run Your Life!

One Really important thing often overlooked are the Safety Cables /Chains!

These are intended to secure the Tow vehicle to the Towed Vehicle! I am amazed at how many people are towing with the Safety Cables attached only to the Hitches and not the Frames of the Vehicles!

In the event of a Hitch Failure You are in the words of a wiser Man than I Screwed!

Old 04-26-2012, 12:28 AM   #17

National RV Owners Club
Here is a list of the requirements by State. Most States have no requirements and some have weight limits, almost all weight limits are over the weight of a Sidekick.
http://www.towingworld.com/articles/TowingLaws.htm Anyone saying there are no laws canít be a credible source.
At risk of being a FEAR MONGER I still say a Aux Break System is a good idea. Sometimes in a emergency stop, ten feet can make the difference between driving off and serious injury.
Check the Gross Weight Limits on your rig and see how close to the max you are including your toad, then make a judgment call.
Dick
Old 04-26-2012, 01:17 AM   #18
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Here is the cheap and easy supplemental braking system

ReadyBrake Supplemental Brake System for Towed Vehicles - NSA RV Products

It goes between the moho and your Blue Ox towbar. I have their towbar with this built-in and wouldn't consider anything else. If you search online some dealers sell them even cheaper.
okmunky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 01:36 AM   #19

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
Towing in Park is the normal procedure for a 4WD automatic. The transfer case disconnects the tranny from the wheels and Park locks the transmission gearing in place.

All the 4Wd vehicle we towed were done that way.
Yep, our '97 Jeep GC was that way. Towed it many miles with no troubles.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 01:38 AM   #20

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theberrys View Post
Here is a list of the requirements by State. Most States have no requirements and some have weight limits, almost all weight limits are over the weight of a Sidekick.
http://www.towingworld.com/articles/TowingLaws.htm Anyone saying there are no laws can’t be a credible source.
At risk of being a FEAR MONGER I still say a Aux Break System is a good idea. Sometimes in a emergency stop, ten feet can make the difference between driving off and serious injury.
Check the Gross Weight Limits on your rig and see how close to the max you are including your toad, then make a judgment call.
Dick
And that chart is known to be wrong!! For instance in OR and WA they say no laws stated, but in fact they are much the same as CA. You must stop from a certain MPH in so many feet.

But the reality is that if you go through ANY state that requires brakes on the towed then you have to have them there so you might as well get them and be done with it. There is no reciprocity on equipment laws like there is on drivers licenses and insurance.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 07:25 AM   #21

Forest River Owners Club
Wow! Thank you do much for the open and varied discussion here. Watching the videos, hearing your concerns, rationale and personal decisions and now knowing my options I find myself open and actively seeking an affordable braking system while we cautiously proceed on our first excursion without one. I like the towbar-mounted option mentioned recently, as well... Looks like there are a variety of options to consider... Some more affordable and Niue simple than others.
I have been watching Craigs list and attempting to locate a used model of brake buddy... But yesterday we were cautioned that many of these had glitches a few years ago and often locked up the brakes on the toad while in tow?! Would hate to add rather than detract from our safety concerns!
There has also been conflicting information here regarding legal responsibility when traveling out of your home state. Our RV salesman said that our only legal responsibility in the US and Canada was to be equipt as required by the state we are licensed in. (and to abide by maximum towing speeds, etc, no doubt). Can anyone provide a resource to confirm or refute that?
Thank you again! We spent our first night in our Sunseeker last night, in a state park 3 miles from the dealership.... In a storm of 40-50 mph winds. Today we take off on the first leg of our first journey. I have so many questions to peruse the forums about!
Old 04-29-2012, 12:22 AM   #22
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I have an 1840 pound toad and I would not risk my safety, or the safety of others for a mere $400. In the event of an accident, I will not have a liability issue due to lack of brakes on the toad. Also, laws change. Do you plan to recheck every state every time you take a trip?

Oh, and the salesman is WRONG. You must comply with each state's laws.

Take a good look at the Ready Brake. It is simple and cheap and there is no heavy box to lift or store and is easily moved to another toad if you later decide to trade.
Old 04-29-2012, 12:27 AM   #23
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Ready Brake Receiver - By N.S.A

I bought mine here.
Old 04-29-2012, 03:57 AM   #24

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky
Oh, and the salesman is WRONG. You must comply with each state's laws..
Can you direct me to a resource to confirm this?

Thanks for the additional links, as well
Old 04-29-2012, 10:24 AM   #25

I am another believer in the Ready Brake system having towed with it for the last seven years. Hookup and unhook takes about 30 seconds and it is quite inexpensive. It is also offered as a integral part of the Ready Brute tow bar. I tow a Suzuki Samurai a older version of the Sidekick/Tracker. 2150 pounds.

Jim
Old 04-29-2012, 02:01 PM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Check out this bulletin concerning towing from GM:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/25128636/gms...towing_142.pdf

Jim
MutinyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 02:19 PM   #27

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cllecr View Post
Can you direct me to a resource to confirm this?

Thanks for the additional links, as well
Here you go:

HowStuffWorks "Trailer Towing Laws by State"

U.S. Department of Transportation - National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) - Towing A Trailer, Being Equipped for Safety - State and Local Requirements for Towing - DOT HS 809 433 - April 2002

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 04:02 PM   #28

Trailer towing laws do not apply to swivel wheel devices. They are not trailers they are load carrying vehicle extensions. That is the ruling in Washington State. I have the WAC (Washington Administration Code) That defines what a trailer is and a swivel wheel device does not fit the description. If you care enough you can do your research and track it down like I did. I am not going to post it.

Jim

Tags
toad