Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-31-2016, 09:59 AM   #1

1995 Jeep Cherokee 2WD Towable????

Buying a used MH and want to tow our 1995 Jeep Cherokee 2WD manual tranny. Can I tow this vehicle with a 2 wheel tow dolly? I can not find a answer on this site or the web. I have no owners manual for the cherokee. I'm thinking I can tow it with the rear wheels on the dolly. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-31-2016, 01:03 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The owner's manual will say that you can't tow a 2wd Cherokee on the rear axle. You would either need a driveshaft disconnect or dolly tow with the rear end on the dolly. BTW, if you search on web, you should be able to find a downloadable copy of the owner's manual. I have one for my 2000 Cherokee, but I don't recall the source.

Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 01:14 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Just had a thought! Why not go to a junkyard and get a transfer case and have it installed. You don't need a front axle to tow it 4 down. I've actually taken the front axle shafts out of my Cherokee (busted u-joints or spider gears) and flat towed it from NH to FL several times. I had no drivetrain problems doing it.
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 01:14 PM   #4

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
And every dolly manufacturer says not to tow backwards. Also the steering gear is not set up for a vehicle to be towed backwards.
I see it done but would never do it myself.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 03:15 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
You should be able to google a users manual online. And Google "Dinghy Towing Guide" but not sure how far back they go.
Old 02-01-2016, 03:11 PM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Since it is a manual transmission, just put it in Neutral and go. Either flat tow or front wheels on a dolly. I would change the trans and rear axle fluids so you know they are fresh and full.
Nick-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 07:58 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick-B View Post
Since it is a manual transmission, just put it in Neutral and go. Either flat tow or front wheels on a dolly. I would change the trans and rear axle fluids so you know they are fresh and full.
Nick,
In some cases with manual transmissions, its is NOT PERMISSIBLE to flat tow. There are some manual trannies out there that do not lube certain bearings and shafts properly unless the input shaft is spinning, from the engine. At present, I cannot actually present any form of a list, of which stick trannies that cannot be flat towed. The OP has basically two options in this part.

1. He can do more searching on line for an owners manual or, maybe even try a Jeep dealer (highly unlikely they'd have anything)
2. Go to either a Jeep dealership or, any reputable transmission service center and ask a tech, who knows that particular transmission, if it would be OK to flat tow it.

I don't know if I'd just "take a chance" and hook it up and tow it, just because it's a stick tranny and, in the old days, you could tow them. But, things have changed and, there's a few dozen stick transmissions out there in various cars/trucks/Suvs etc, that may, or may not be allowed to flat tow.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 11:02 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockwood27 View Post
Just had a thought! Why not go to a junkyard and get a transfer case and have it installed. You don't need a front axle to tow it 4 down. I've actually taken the front axle shafts out of my Cherokee (busted u-joints or spider gears) and flat towed it from NH to FL several times. I had no drivetrain problems doing it.

This could work if the manual transmission is found to be not flat towable. One does not need a front driveshaft. Any good Jeep shop can readily do the work. You will need the rear driveshaft from a donor Cherokee as well, as its shorter than the one you have currently.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 04:02 PM   #9

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Scott, you are right to urge caution.
I was repeating what I had read on one of the Jeep forums at some point in the past. So I did a bit more forum surfing and only found conflicting info concerning towing the 2WD, manual setup.

To the OP, The_Woods:
I actually found an Owner's Manual online but it only details recreation towing for the 4WD models with no mention at all for the 2WD configuration.
http://www.saharasafaris.org/files/c...nersmanual.pdf
One option would be to pull the driveshaft during towing but that is a real inconvenience. Maybe trade your 2-door 2WD for a 4WD model. The 2 doors are in demand in the XJ world.

Best of luck!
Nick-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 04:07 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Try to find your owners manual here...www/justgivemethedamnmanual.com

Tags
tow