Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-19-2008, 09:01 AM   #1

Considering purchase of 1995 Suzuki Sidekick, standard, 4WD to float tow.Anyone had any experience with this vehicle?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2008, 09:01 AM   #2

Considering purchase of 1995 Suzuki Sidekick, standard, 4WD to float tow.Anyone had any experience with this vehicle?

Old 06-19-2008, 11:10 AM   #3

I HAD A 4 DOOR SIDEKICK 4WD. IT TOWED GREAT, I TOWED IT 15,000 MILES MY FIRST TRIP. JUST MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THE MANUAL FRONT HUBS NOT THE AUTOMATIC HUBS. YOU ALSO HAVE TO STOP ABOUT EVERY 200 MILES AND START THE ENGINE,LEAVE THE TRANSFER CASE IN NEUTRAL,PUT THE TRANSMISSION IN GEAR AND LET IT RUN FOR ABOUT 5 MINUTES. YOU CAN BUY THE MANUAL HUBS AT ANY AUTO PARTS STORE. GOOD LUCK,RONNIE
Old 06-19-2008, 03:57 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by schiappa:
I HAD A 4 DOOR SIDEKICK 4WD. IT TOWED GREAT, I TOWED IT 15,000 MILES MY FIRST TRIP. JUST MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THE MANUAL FRONT HUBS NOT THE AUTOMATIC HUBS. YOU ALSO HAVE TO STOP ABOUT EVERY 200 MILES AND START THE ENGINE,LEAVE THE TRANSFER CASE IN NEUTRAL,PUT THE TRANSMISSION IN GEAR AND LET IT RUN FOR ABOUT 5 MINUTES. YOU CAN BUY THE MANUAL HUBS AT ANY AUTO PARTS STORE. GOOD LUCK,RONNIE </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why can't the automatic front hubs be used? I have them on my 2002, and have had no problems with them. May be different that 1995 model hubs I suppose.

Dieselclacker
Old 06-19-2008, 05:56 PM   #5

------------------------------------------------
Why can't the automatic front hubs be used? I have them on my 2002, and have had no problems with them. May be different that 1995 model hubs I suppose.
------------------------------------------------
THE 1995 MODEL HAS A DIFFERENT DESIGNED 4WD SYSTEM. I DON'T KNOW THE SPECIFICS. I NOW HAVE A 2005 AND IT IS LIKE YOUR 2002{IT HAS AUTOMATIC HUBS}I THINK THE NEWER ONES HAVE AN ELECTRONIC OR VACUUM POWERED DISCONNECT. I AM NOT AN EXPERT ON THIS BUT I DID THE RESEARCH ON BOTH SYSTEMS BEFORE I PURCHASED THEM AND THEY BOTH WORKED WELL HOPED THIS SHED SOME LIGHT ON THE SUBJECT. RONNIE
Old 06-19-2008, 06:10 PM   #6

I tow a 95' 4 door kick tin top, a little heavier than the two door rag tops, but tows great. The reason automatic hubs cannot be used is because when the transfer case is put in neutral, both the front and rear drive shafts lock together causing the hubs to lock adding drag. Don't know why Suzuki has this design. I changed my autos to manuals, very easy and took about 15 minutes per side. (I have air tools) You need to check the condition of the transfer case bearings and seals, as the front output shaft on mine is worn which is not a problem in two wheel drive, but not good when both outputs are turning. Until i get time to rebuild the T-case I just disconnect the rear driveshat and hang it up to the frame so the transfer case is not turning and I don't have to stop and start the engine to relube everything. Great little toad though.
Old 06-20-2008, 04:41 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Suzuki changed the transfer case & hub design for the Vitara (and its Chevy Tracker sister) so that the automatics worked OK for towing. The older Sidekicks required manual hubs for towing. I think the design change occurred in 1999, so the manual hub requirement probably applies to the 1998 and earlier Sidekicks. Maybe a Sidekick aficionado can confirm those dates?

I had a 2000 and a 2003 4 door model and both had automatic hubs that worked fine for towing.

Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote