Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-11-2012, 08:00 PM   #1

Gulf Streamers Club
1998 CRV toad , Equipment Install

Finally going to replace my current toad, 1985 Nissan King Cab. Been working on the CRV. Yesterday and day before, working on wiring for trailer lights and wiring for being pulled as toad. Checked today and all working as advertised. Have 2 inch receiver hitch with installation kit and will try and install that tomorrow. Have Roadmaster tow bar on the Nissan and will still be using that on the CRV, unless the new owner of the Nissan wants to keep the towing capability. Whichever way that turns out, need base plate installed on the CRV. Soon will be ordering that. Hope to install that myself, unless something turns up that I cannot do. IRV2 Forum signature changes when I am able to start towing the CRV.

And that is what winter if for. Upgrades. Course, winter is a relative concept. Today here temp was above 70F. Not to worry, tomorrow high will be around 50F. Brrrrrrrrrr. I look for a coat below 75F.

ronspradley

Life's too short to drink cheap beer.
ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2012, 11:46 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
You'll really like the CRV. Nice to have the additional seats and enclosed storage area.

Old 01-15-2012, 09:09 AM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
Still clearing out stuff from pickup. I carried much too much in pickup and will have to consolidate and pare to be able to fit it into CRV. I did get the 2" receiver hitch installed yesterday. Waiting on funds to purchase the Roadmaster base plate. Radio did not work so replaced radio. Still did not work and then replaced all 4 speakers. Now I have radio. Also yesterday replaced thermostat housing gasket. I believe PO had used caulk. For some reason it leaked ??? Used high temp RTV to make new gasket.

ronspradley
Old 01-16-2012, 10:32 PM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
Installed 2" receiver hitch yesterday with help from friend Mike. We only had to remove once and hit it with a sledge hammer once and it fit like it should. This evening found on Craigs List a base plate that I think will work. Two hour drive to see. But good price if it will work. I will know tomorrow.

ronspradley
Old 01-16-2012, 11:31 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronspradley View Post
Finally going to replace my current toad, 1985 Nissan King Cab. Been working on the CRV. Yesterday and day before, working on wiring for trailer lights and wiring for being pulled as toad. Checked today and all working as advertised. Have 2 inch receiver hitch with installation kit and will try and install that tomorrow. Have Roadmaster tow bar on the Nissan and will still be using that on the CRV, unless the new owner of the Nissan wants to keep the towing capability. Whichever way that turns out, need base plate installed on the CRV. Soon will be ordering that. Hope to install that myself, unless something turns up that I cannot do. IRV2 Forum signature changes when I am able to start towing the CRV.

And that is what winter if for. Upgrades. Course, winter is a relative concept. Today here temp was above 70F. Not to worry, tomorrow high will be around 50F. Brrrrrrrrrr. I look for a coat below 75F.

ronspradley
I will be in San Antonio on Feb 4th and will give you a Roadmaster Baseplate for your CR-V if you can use it.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 06:26 AM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck 1935 View Post
I will be in San Antonio on Feb 4th and will give you a Roadmaster Baseplate for your CR-V if you can use it.
Did not look at computer before my trip to look at baseplate. Thank you very much for your kind offer. I bought the baseplate and tow bar that I went to look at. Roadmaster baseplate 1528-3, along with a Roadmaster Tracker tow bar. Paid $150.00 total for both. I already have a Roadmaster 5000 and will use that. So that gives me an extra Tracker tow bar. Will install soon. There is a hitch installer in Austin that used to have the quick-disconnects part # 201 that I will need. If he does not still have them, will have to order from Etrailer. Thanks again Chuck 1935 for the offer. If you will be coming thru Round Rock and Austin on your way to San Antonio, shoot me a PM. I will buy the pie at Cracker Barrel.

ronspradley
Old 01-18-2012, 12:17 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronspradley View Post
Did not look at computer before my trip to look at baseplate. Thank you very much for your kind offer. I bought the baseplate and tow bar that I went to look at. Roadmaster baseplate 1528-3, along with a Roadmaster Tracker tow bar. Paid $150.00 total for both. I already have a Roadmaster 5000 and will use that. So that gives me an extra Tracker tow bar. Will install soon. There is a hitch installer in Austin that used to have the quick-disconnects part # 201 that I will need. If he does not still have them, will have to order from Etrailer. Thanks again Chuck 1935 for the offer. If you will be coming thru Round Rock and Austin on your way to San Antonio, shoot me a PM. I will buy the pie at Cracker Barrel.

ronspradley
The 1528 baseplate is a very easy install and it sounds like you got a great deal.
The farthest north I will be is Lockhart for some BBQ, after I leave San Antonio. I'm a California boy and am allergic to cold weather, although the pie does sounds tempting. That Honda makes a great Toad. We had one for a number of years before some nitwit rear ended us and then bought a 2002. They are nice and light and easy to tow.
Chuck
Old 01-18-2012, 05:36 PM   #8

Gulf Streamers Club
Installed this afternoon. Everything looks good but still need the quick-disconnect to match my Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000 tow bar. Checked with hitch install place in Austin this morning and the hitch guy was not there. Someone checked and said he thinks the part I need was used but I will have to wait until Monday to check and be sure.

BBQ in Lockhart. Smitty's, Black's, Kreuz (pronounced Krites), Chisolm Trail? Personally, I prefer Black's. Happy trails.

ronspradley
Old 01-18-2012, 05:56 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
[QUOTE=ronspradley;
BBQ in Lockhart. Smitty's, Black's, Kreuz (pronounced Krites), Chisolm Trail? Personally, I prefer Black's. Happy trails.

ronspradley[/QUOTE]

I've eaten at Smitty's (a cranky sister or somthing of Kreuz's) Maybe I'll just have to try them all again. Then it's on to the Oysters in Panacea, Florida with a stop along the way at The Shed BBQ in Ocean Springs, Ms

Chuck
Old 01-18-2012, 06:28 PM   #10

Gulf Streamers Club
There was some kind of family falling out between Smittys and Kreuz. One held the building where the BBQ was being cooked and wanted more rent so the other built another building. Do not remember which is which. I live close to Taylor where Mueller BBQ is located. Another of the top 10 in Texas and another where they serve no sauce and have no plates. If you ask for sauce, they give you the juice from their beans. Never say a word.

And if you are moving to MS for BBQ, I believe they change the meat to pork. Good, but I still prefer brisket. Cooked over mesquite. You could write a book on the BBQ between Texas and Florida.

Down the road.............ronspradley
Old 01-25-2012, 02:53 PM   #11

Gulf Streamers Club
Found the "quick-disconnect" connecting plates needed to finish the install of Roadmaster base plate and now can use Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000 tow bar. And all wiring is complete. I can now tow the CRV. A little more mechanical (still need timing belt) and I will be completely ready. Now it is on to fixing and painting and getting ready to sell my old 1985 Nissan King Cab. It is still ready to two and I will either sell as tow ready or take tow stuff off and sell just as pickup, whatever buyer wants.

Tags
toad, install