Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 02-07-2012, 12:21 PM   #1
1999 National Sea View 8340

Just purchased a 99 National Sea View 8340 with a Ford V10 gas engine. Trying to figure out how to get this thing back to Minnesota (from Missouri) and asked the dealer if this rig would tow my 1/2 ton pickup on a car trailer back to MN. He said no problem. It seems to me I would be asking alot of this rig to haul itself and the trailer with my pickup. Any thoughts on this? This is my first motorhome. Any feed back would be greatly appreciated. Thank You! Also, if anyone has any suggestions on problems I should look for when I inspect this rig, I would appreciate that information as well. Thanks again. Jim

Sydtay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-07-2012, 02:24 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
A half ton truck on a trailer is going to exceed the coach's max tow rating, which is probably 4000 or 5000 lbs. Check the receiver hitch rating and also the GCWR of the coach (that's the max combined weight of coach and anything you tow). Then get the coach and the truck & trailer weighed, so you know what you are actually dealing with. I can pretty well guarantee it will be over the weight limits, though.

Gary Brinck
2004 American Tradition; 2014 Buick LaCRosse
Homebase in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 05:48 PM   #3
Thanks for the feedback. I changed the plan and am going to purchase a dolly with the motorhome and tow my car back home. Thanks again for the info. Jim
Old 02-07-2012, 06:55 PM   #4
National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Welcome to the Forum Jim! Yep, you're much safer using you car instead.

Congrats on your new National. They're a very fine well made MH. Sign up for the National Owners Group and post in our forum when you have any questions.
jlyon69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 08:05 PM   #5
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Mechanically check it out just as you would your truck. Mh wise have everything that is supposed to work inside made to work, fridge, micro, air conditioners, furnace,stove top, AV equipment, electrical outlets, generator, phone jacks, toilet, lights, slide outs if any,back up camera,levelers, blinds, ceiling fans, water system, pump.

Make sure you have good tires under you for the trip, inspect them closely for cracks drying etc; how old are they?

It's a good coach---we like our 03. Good luck. Nice choice.
I do all my own stunts
03 Dolphin LX 6355, Workhorse W22, 8.1 vortec, 04 CR-V, Blue Ox, Brake Pro----Norm, Barb and
Doc(He's a PhD)
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 11:48 PM   #6
You can get an owners manual at NationalRV : National_RV, Yahoo National owners group. You have to join to have access. The literature is in the 'files' section on the left.
The interconnect solenoid is the center of the 12v systems. It connects the chassis battery and coach batteries together to maintain charge anytime either is being charged. It opens the connection when either voltage drops below 12.8v.
With a digital multimeter check coach and chassis battery voltage before starting the engine. With the engine running the coach batteries should have about the same voltage as the chassis battery. Same thing happens when coach batteries are being charged with the converter, all batteries connected together by the interconnect solenoid.
The 12v system on my 2000 is just like yours.
Most RV batteries live a long and useful life, some are murdered.
2000 National Sea Breeze F53
1998 CRV Toad
garym114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 09:31 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Originally Posted by Sydtay1 View Post
Thanks for the feedback. I changed the plan and am going to purchase a dolly with the motorhome and tow my car back home. Thanks again for the info. Jim
Good luck, Jim...and welcome to the forum. Be sure to post when you get home with the new toy!!
Sarah (RVM69), Hubby, and Harry the RVin' Dog
.......2012 Fleetwood Bounder 33C | 2012 Jeep Wrangler

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 04:57 PM   #8
Thanks for the feedback everyone! All is very useful. Crossing my fingers hoping that there is no snow or ice on the trip back to Minnesota! Jim
Old 02-08-2012, 05:14 PM   #9
Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Your hitch would only be rated at 5000# and I'm sure the trailer and truck are over that. I guess a dealer will tell you anything just to buy the rig. I would ask the dealer if he would cover the liablity issue if anything was to happen. I bet he changes his tune. If you have the time and they have the facility to accomodate you stay for a couple of days only to make sure eveything is working and you feel comfortable with all the on board systems. Nothing like getting it home and finding out what doesn't work. If you have a video camera, video tape the pre-delivery inspection as it is being presented to you. That way anything that is said you'll have a record of.

I almost forgot, WELCOME to the forum and Good Luck with the purchase. Hope can enjoy many funfilled miles with your rig. Hope to see you down the road, be safe and Happy Motoring!!!!
Steve & Sally / HiTee & Hudson Our Little Poms / Heidi & Houston Forever in our Hearts
04 NEWMAR MACA 3778 W22 / 05 PT Vert
Michigan (Summer) Florida (Winter)
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 10:56 AM   #10
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
As a former Minnesotan and former Sea View V10 owner, I couldn't let this one go without a response. 1st welcome to IRV2. Second we loved our Sea View and the Ford Chassis. We miss the added CCC we got with the Ford over the Workhorse we now have and it rode a lot better. Funny thing, when I bought my coach in CA it was a 98 8330. When I moved to AZ it was upgraded to a 99. Go figger!

What part of MN are you located in. I was near Rochester.

2006 Sea Breeze LX 8341 on a Workhorse W22 Chassis with 22.5 Alcoa Alum wheels,
2011 Chevy Colorado 4X4 with Ready Brake
Glenn and Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote