Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-22-2019, 03:54 AM   #1

1999 TJ How to get power to cig light when key is off

I am trying to hook up my brake buddy on my 1999 TJ. Manuel say to turn the key off. WHen I do this there is no power to the cig lighter. How do I get around this issue?
rvethereyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2019, 07:18 AM   #2

First question is what does TJ stand for ?? Being from Calif. TJ in my personal dictionary is short for Tijuana

Ok regardless if your vehicle is a Tijuana or not, simply run a 14 gauge wire from the positive side of the car's battery through a 10 amp fuse then to the center position on the back of the cigarette lighter outlet. If you can't reach the factory outlet, then buy a new lighter outlet at your favorite auto parts store and run the 12 volt positive wire to the center position and a ground wire (Grounded to either the batter negative terminal or metal frame) and you're done
LJowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 10:09 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvethereyet View Post
I am trying to hook up my brake buddy on my 1999 TJ. Manuel say to turn the key off. WHen I do this there is no power to the cig lighter. How do I get around this issue?
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJowdy View Post
First question is what does TJ stand for ?? Being from Calif. TJ in my personal dictionary is short for Tijuana

Ok regardless if your vehicle is a Tijuana or not, simply run a 14 gauge wire from the positive side of the car's battery through a 10 amp fuse then to the center position on the back of the cigarette lighter outlet. If you can't reach the factory outlet, then buy a new lighter outlet at your favorite auto parts store and run the 12 volt positive wire to the center position and a ground wire (Grounded to either the batter negative terminal or metal frame) and you're done

LJowdy,
The "TJ" is the moniker for the era of Jeep Wrangler, made from '97 to '06. Before that model, there was the "YJ". Before that, the "CJ". After the TJ, came the JK which ran from '07 to early '18. Then, Jeep changed again to the letters "JL". Ok so much for the history lesson.

Rvthereyet,
Just wondering, what are you pulling that TJ with? A gas or a diesel coach? Second, the TJs have a fuse box, right behind the glove compartment. It's been a bit but, to remove that glove box, it's a very simple matter. Then, you'll see that fuse box. Now, you can two different approaches here.

1. Go right to the battery, through the fire wall with an appropriate gauge wire to the positive on battery. Then, take that wire and go to the power side of your power point (aka "Cigarette lighter). Now, take a ground wire from the ground side of that power point and, run it to a good, known chassis ground.

2. Or, you can cruise on down to your local Autozone or Oreillys auto parts and ask them about an "add a fuse" link. What they are is, a mechanism that is inserted into a normal fused spot, inside that fuse block and, the original fuse is then placed in a new spot, plus, you now have a wire that is fused, that you can use for your application of the Brake buddy. Everything is safe that way. Hope this helps some.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 02:28 PM   #4

As I recall from adding a Brake Buddy to a 99 TJ recently, the Brake Buddy calls for a heavier fuse than is standard on the power outlet (cigarette lighter) on the TJ. I ran a seperate line to the battery. There is easy access thru the firewall behind the glove box. Depending on how active you set your Brake Buddy, and the state of your TJ battery, you may need to run a charge line from your tow vehicle. I did, but I am not certain I needed it. I set my Brake Buddy to activate only on fairly severe stops, and it rarely activates, so I think my TJ battery would have been sufficient.

The draw from the Brake Buddy is from running an air compressor. It is a fairly small compressor and the standard fuse might handle it.
marsingbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 04:43 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
I am not sure if a 99 Tj is the same as my 2004, but my 12v socket always has power to it. I have to remember to pull my phone charger when I put it away in the garage for the week.
I will second the check the fuse behind the glove box suggestion.
Old 04-23-2019, 07:24 AM   #6

Contact Brake Buddy they can supply you with the wiring,fuse and receptacle for a very modest price. At least that was the case about 5 years ago when I did mine.
charli3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 05:55 PM   #7

THanks for all the help. I made my first trip pulling my Jeep. I was at a campground that had NO wifi. What I did for a quick solution was I went to a marine shop and bought a cig lighter that had gator clip on the wires and ran it through the window. I will work on a permanent solution. Thanks for the help
rvethereyet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1999, light, power