Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-29-2015, 11:16 AM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeryan59 View Post
I would love to have a stacker, but I also travel occasionally with 2 Harley's and a toad. It isn't that big of deal to me to pull a trailer, I have used 4 down, tow dolly and now the trailer. I love the flexibility it allows, the clean vehicle coming out of my enclosed trailer and the ability to take my Harley with me. There are many advantages and disadvantages to each method, I encourage you to do some research on this forum, I would also question anyone who talks totally negative about towing a trailer if they have actually ever pulled an enclosed trailer behind their motorhome? Good luck in whatever you decide is best for your circumstances.
That is what a stacker is for.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-02-2015, 06:10 AM   #16

GORDON SAID:

"Nice thing about the coach and the trailer is the trailer will almost stay in the same tracks as the coach in a turn with the tag dumped."

Gordon, I'm new to tags. So I hit the tag dump button, make the turn, and then what? Is there a tag "undump" button? (Coach hasn't arrived yet and I'm trying to think of things to worry about) .

Also, do you use weight distribution hitch and /or anti-sway devices to ease the load on the coach and to make towing less of a chore? OR do you find that stuff unnecessary with a big coach (mine is 44,200 GVWR with a 54,200 GCWR.

Many thanks,
Gene

Old 11-03-2015, 10:04 AM   #17

Found an open stacker that should work for us

After weighing cost factors and length of what we want to carry I think we found the perfect stacker. It is open and only 20 ft including the hitch keeping us legal for length. It is amazing what research, help from forum and lots of shopping will do. Will hold both our large motorcycles, a car and a utv.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	trailer2.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	111073  
ezj&wings2fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 10:35 AM   #18

Jeff, what is the brand name of that trailer? I would like to get some info on them.
becks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 06:32 PM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjurrens View Post
GORDON SAID:

"Nice thing about the coach and the trailer is the trailer will almost stay in the same tracks as the coach in a turn with the tag dumped."

Gordon, I'm new to tags. So I hit the tag dump button, make the turn, and then what? Is there a tag "undump" button? (Coach hasn't arrived yet and I'm trying to think of things to worry about) .

Also, do you use weight distribution hitch and /or anti-sway devices to ease the load on the coach and to make towing less of a chore? OR do you find that stuff unnecessary with a big coach (mine is 44,200 GVWR with a 54,200 GCWR.

Many thanks,
Gene
Tag operation is pretty basic.

Ours works this way;
It has a three position switch. Off, Auto, Tag Dump.

When in the off position is does not dump at all.

Tag dump seems to dump the tag when moving forward. Pushing it dumps the tag and when released moves to auto.

In the auto position it dumps when the coach is in reverse. It also dumps the tag in forward below 8 mph.

When the coach is moving forward at more than 8 mph it automatically inflates.

I have noticed that if I cycle the tag dump button again it will re-inflate the tag in forward.

If seems like the tag dump must be initiated each time after the coach engine is started.
Old 11-03-2015, 07:08 PM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
I think I would stick with my enclosed trailer hauling my bikes as oppose to an open trailer of any kind. JMO.
vman60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 07:16 PM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
Never had these in an open air trailer, wouldn't take the chance of rocks chips or rained on.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	santa's slay 009.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	343.7 KB
ID:	111109  
vman60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 07:59 PM   #22

I am currently in a 5th wheel toy hauler but it is becoming difficult to back my motorcycle down the ramp when unloading. I travel alone and have no one to help me. I have been looking at Class A diesel pushers with a tag axel, a hydrolift for the bike on the back of the RV and towing a jeep wrangler. I only have one bike. You could tow a pickup truck and have your second bike in the back of the truck. Then you won't have to tow a trailer which can be inconvenient at some RV parks that don't have room on the camp site for the trailer. Once you unhitch the truck, unload the bike and stow the hydrolift you just have a Class A to park. Just food for thought of an alternative solution.
Old 11-04-2015, 06:10 AM   #23

you need a stacker.. think of it like this, its like a garage for your house on wheels. we haul 2 golf carts and a car in ours as well as all the tools and other things that you need through out the week to live in a rv. they can be bought used for around 20k or new for around 40k. that leaves you 210k for your rv there are a lot of real nice class 8 conversions in that range
Old 11-04-2015, 06:16 AM   #24

PRI'S 2006 SHOWPIECE for Sale in PHOENIX, AZ | RacingJunk Classifieds

Old 11-04-2015, 10:13 AM   #25

Johnny did you have that trailer built or can they be had "off the shelf"? (V nose with long tongue)
Old 11-07-2015, 05:35 AM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I had it built, increased roof height, insulated, reinforcing ramp door and thicker gauge siding.
jeryan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 04:32 PM   #27

Thanks 'Rot... I'll probably have to do the same. Although my wish list is speedier than my budget. Happy trails
Gene
Old 11-08-2015, 04:41 PM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Unless you are absolutely sure a longer lift deck is an option to consider.

Tags
full time, toad