Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-08-2015, 10:35 PM   #1

2 motorcycles, toad & full time living-Best setup

We are ready to retire and join the ranks of full time RVers. We have two large motorcycles and want a toad. We have been doing lots of comparisons on Newmar Canyon, Outlaw (both for garage for bikes) or Class A diesel pulling trailer for bikes and car). We have also looked at Class C Dynamax. Any suggestions for best setup would be appreciated.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2015, 01:48 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

This is a decision we made years ago...and we knew towables were out, because we were already living with a (very nice ) Denali TT.
Hook-up is a hassle and your wheels for exploring is a big ol' truck, so not the best for us.

So, first pick is type motorhome...conventional (Class A, C or Super C) or toy hauler.
Conventional means towing the bikes and the car So, better get a big Diesel pusher or Super C to tug all the weight on the hitch.

If you pick motorized toy hauler, there are 2 choices - new or used.
For used, there were many players before the recession...see:
Class "A" Toyhaulers

For new, as found that means the Newmar Canyon Star 3921 (3920 was discontinued) or the TMC Outlaw 37LS and 37RB (37MD was discontinued). This choice is a very personal one, because of the differences between these makers. But one very real difference is the weight ratings. The Outlaw has a 2,500lb garage load rating and 8,000lb trailer hitch. The Canyon Star has that BIG beautiful (heavy) full wall slide, so has lower load capabilities.

These RV's ride on identical top of the line Ford F53 26,000lb GVWR chassis...and new for mid 2016 models (coming out now) is a 6speed transmission.

You can see what we picked (below)
Best luck

Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 08:35 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Newmar is great brand and the craftsmanship, quality and finish are above reproach. I own. Bay Star, but looked at the Canyon Star, it was too big for my needs. With Newmar you will be happy!
LCDRAKAllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 11:59 PM   #4

Thanks scarab0088. After studying your comments and talking to salesperson we do not think either of the Class A toy haulers will work. Our bikes are too heavy and no way to fit a washer dryer in garage with length of bikes. So we are back to Class A diesel. Based on another post I started looking at the new 2016 Nexus Class A diesel. It has 10,000 towing and is the shortest diesel I have found with that towing capacity that appears to be well made. Does anyone have any opinions on this unit?
Old 09-12-2015, 02:16 PM   #5
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Best luck...there is no Nexus owners Forum (not enough traffic to segragate a new Forum), so since this thread is in the Toads Forum, you might consider a new thread with "Nexas Class A Questions" or similar title in the Class A Forum:
Class A Motorhome Discussions - iRV2 Forums

Best luck

P.S. Ya'know, the Outlaw 37LS has hook-ups in the garage for a washer/dryer - and with the garage being 122" deep, the port side bike would still have almost 8' of space behind the appliances. With a conventional Class A, that trailer will be a monster (can't usually tow a trailer and tow a car too). Plus, unlike the toy haulers, the trailer is just wasted space one unloaded. Everybodies needs are different...and the toy hauler works best for us.
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 09:55 PM   #6

Still need help with Class A diesel and towing capacity

We spent 2 days at the Pamona show. My husband says I am looking for the impossible so hope someone can help us both. He wants a diesel with good power that will easily tow 10,000 lbs for trailer, 2 motorcycles, small car. I want 37 ft or less with a nice layout and not spend over $250,000. Does it exist?
ezj&wings2fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 10:02 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
We went with a Class A and a stacker trailer. Ended up with a inTech to keep the weight down. We carry a motorcycle, a trike and a SUV. Room for other stuff like skiis and smokers. We had the stacker custom built to fit our needs.

Size is not so much of a concern as a floor plan the both of you like and will be able to utilize while full timing. You are going to encounter bad weather and will be confined for several days. Will the layout work for you.

Buying used should get you something in your price range that is dependable. Does not matter if you buy new or used you will have to keep on top of the maintenance.
Old 10-19-2015, 10:56 AM   #8

Gordon few more questions

Thank you for the feedback. Can you tell me why you choose the Winnebago over other products. Have you had any problems in parks and maneuvering with the 40 ft rig? If you don't mind sharing the details on the stacker and cost that would be great. It sounds like we will be carrying the same type of items. This is definitely a big decision and we want to get it right.
ezj&wings2fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 05:02 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by debcanon View Post
Thank you for the feedback. Can you tell me why you choose the Winnebago over other products. Have you had any problems in parks and maneuvering with the 40 ft rig? If you don't mind sharing the details on the stacker and cost that would be great. It sounds like we will be carrying the same type of items. This is definitely a big decision and we want to get it right.
We chose WBGO because we liked the floor plan. We looked and compared various coaches available at several dealerships plus looked at available literature on the net.

WBGO just came up big on our list. We contacted several dealers and asked for their best price, we did not negotiate. Told them up front. We selected Lichtsinn as our dealer for a couple reasons. They were a mile from the factory (WBGO does not do factory delivery) and we wanted to drive the coach from new and we heard good things about their service.

So far Lichtsinn has met or exceeded our expectations for a dealer. Everyone I have spoken to while getting service says nothing but good things about them. They have excellect techs and the dealership treats us like family. For us it was win, win, win.

We ordered the stacker from a local dealer and arranged to pick it up when picking up the coach. We are impressed with the quality.

I had looked at another brand that would have been cheaper but the bare stacker was 12,000 lbs due to extensive steel in the construction. The inTech is about 1/2 the weight so with everything in weighs in at 13,500. It is all aluminum construction and in my opinion very well built. The welds, etc are superb.

We did several things which included increasing the deck from 14 to 16 feet. inTech was great with the change.

Warranty issues with inTech have been quickly and efficiently addressed. (So far only two pop rivets have came loose and they quickly sent replacements) Any questions are promptly answered.

You would have to contact inTech or any other trailer manufacturer as they will not give you a firm price until they know what you want. Ours was 40,000+ CDN. That would equate to about 33 or so in US funds.

There are lots of manufacturers out there with good product. We chose inTech because of our local dealer (great guy, very helpful), good price point, quality construction and light construction.

I have not had any issues with driving the coach. It has independent front steering with a 60 degree cut. With the tag dumped it turns very well. Main issue so far has been the height and overhanging trees. Since it is as tall as most large coaches there is no solution for that problem other than getting a less tall unit. I do not think any DP will qualify as less tall.

Nice thing about the coach and the trailer is the trailer will almost stay in the same tracks as the coach in a turn with the tag dumped.

Hope this helps. If not let me know what questions you have.
Old 10-19-2015, 06:07 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I would love to have a stacker, but I also travel occasionally with 2 Harley's and a toad. It isn't that big of deal to me to pull a trailer, I have used 4 down, tow dolly and now the trailer. I love the flexibility it allows, the clean vehicle coming out of my enclosed trailer and the ability to take my Harley with me. There are many advantages and disadvantages to each method, I encourage you to do some research on this forum, I would also question anyone who talks totally negative about towing a trailer if they have actually ever pulled an enclosed trailer behind their motorhome? Good luck in whatever you decide is best for your circumstances.
jeryan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 10:23 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by debcanon View Post
We are ready to retire and join the ranks of full time RVers. We have two large motorcycles and want a toad. We have been doing lots of comparisons on Newmar Canyon, Outlaw (both for garage for bikes) or Class A diesel pulling trailer for bikes and car). We have also looked at Class C Dynamax. Any suggestions for best setup would be appreciated.
Well, Deb, sounds like you're looking for exactly what we're just now making happen. I wanted a higher end older coach (to get amenities & system integration at a price I could justify), more specifically, a roomy 4 slide diesel pusher with a tag axle (for livability, towing capacity and drivability--DPs have air ride shocks all around). There are quite a few of those out there, and they can be had for under $100K (we're on a fixed income budget - I retired early eight years ago). We just bought a really really clean 2005 42.5' Newmar Mountain Aire (4304) for 100K. Paying mostly cash. I take delivery in a week or two. Now we're shopping for a 24' trailer to carry a small sedan yet to be purchased (Toyota Yaris? Honda Fit?) and our two large motorcycles (Victory Vision - 9' long; Yamaha V-Star 1300 - 8' long. This gets us close to the legal limit (slightly over) but not overweight, and we can take it all with us, including the "garage". The coach came with a Blue Ox, so we plan to also rig the toad for flat towing in case we want to venture into CA or some other state that's strict on combined length (e.g., park the trailer at the Nevada border, hook up the car).

We haven't traveled with this rig yet, obviously, but if it doesn't work well, we can always sell something without being way upside-down on anything. At least that's our strategy and what we're now making happen.

Will keep y'all posted as to whether this is an impractical pipe dream or a great full timer solution. We didn't go with a stacker due to cost & complexity, but if that works for you, awesome!

Fair winds and following seas! (no, wait, that's from our years of living on the boat!)
Old 10-29-2015, 02:14 AM   #12

Scarab0088 funny my husband has a 15 victory vision and I have an 05 vstar. We find ally settled on a unit if everything goes thru. Put a deposit on an Entegra cornerstone. Husband gets the power I get the floor plan and plenty of towing power. If it goes thru I will post more. Really appreciate all the input.
Old 10-29-2015, 10:31 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Some friends of ours have a Newmar All Star (download brochure) that the haul their two Goldwings in and pull their toad.

It's quite a sight to see their two rear slides come out, the ramps go down and out come two very large bikes.
Old 10-29-2015, 10:44 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I was able to pull 2 Harleys, 1 Ultra Classic and Road Glide with a car in my 24' trailer with a 3' v nose, I also have a 5' extended tongue. Absolutely no issues.

Finding a used diesel pusher of good quality will not be an issue. Good luck!

jeryan59 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
full time, toad