Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-26-2006, 08:16 AM   #1

Nor'easters Club
Hi all I am sure that this has been answered over and over again but as I just purchased a 2000 Jeep Wrangler Sport to use as toad I would like to hear from all of you that use one. My paper work states that to tow the jeep I put the transfer case in N and leave the auto trans in Park is that right I told a friend that this is what it told me to do and he told me that he would never tow with trans in park because if the transfer case pop out of N it would kill the trans.

So my question what do I do I know that the wrangler is one of the top toads out there but do not know how many of them have the Auto trans. and how you are towing them so here I go waiting for the help of the experts here.

Mark

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2006, 08:16 AM   #2

Nor'easters Club
Hi all I am sure that this has been answered over and over again but as I just purchased a 2000 Jeep Wrangler Sport to use as toad I would like to hear from all of you that use one. My paper work states that to tow the jeep I put the transfer case in N and leave the auto trans in Park is that right I told a friend that this is what it told me to do and he told me that he would never tow with trans in park because if the transfer case pop out of N it would kill the trans.

So my question what do I do I know that the wrangler is one of the top toads out there but do not know how many of them have the Auto trans. and how you are towing them so here I go waiting for the help of the experts here.

Mark

Old 04-26-2006, 09:07 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
My 97 wrangler should be the same as yours and I towed mine in park without any problems for 4 years. In fact you want it in park so nothing will slowly revolve in the trans while towing. The auto goes in park and the transfer case goes in neutral.
Vette Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 09:32 AM   #4

Triple E Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Mark,
It's interesting that you should be thinking about the transfer case popping out of neutral. This past winter on my way to CA I was just outside of Albuquerque, NM when I noticed that the toad's (1996 Jeep) wheels were not turning and that the tires were smoking. Long story short, something happened and I need a new transfer case, new transmission and new front drive shaft. Here's a pic of the "blown" transfer case Transfer Case

300HP Cat 3126E, 6Sp Allison
Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 12:03 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There's a lot of us towing Wranglers with automatics. The correct combination is transfer case in Neutral, transmission in Park.

So you have a choice:
a) Don't put transmission in Park, eventually the transmission seals and/or bearings will die due to no lubrication. The transmission internals will rotate due to viscious coupling in the transfer case, unless in park.

b) Put transmission in Park and be very careful about the transfer case. Make sure there is nothing that can bounce or fall to hit the transfer case shift lever. Also make sure the transfer case shifter is proper aligned. If you cannot use 4 low (shift there and drive), then you may not be able to reliably shift to neutral. I would argue that the situation that Canuck describes was mis-aligned or something hit the transfer case shifter.

The transfer case shifter is set up based on the 4 wheel low position. If the body and frame relationship ever changes (lift kit, body lift, engine lift, transfer case drop, etc) the transfer case shifter will need re-alignment.

Overview of alignment procedure:

a) Disconnect the shift mechanism, under vehicle.

b) Manual shift the transfer case into 4 low. This may be hard. You might have to reconnect the shifter at a different point to get enough leverage this, but make sure it is in 4 low.

c) Adjust the shifter so that the handle is in the 4 low position.
alvinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 02:53 PM   #6

Triple E Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
AlvinC,
You seem to be knowledgable about these Jeeps. No one was able to explain for me what caused my disaster. Do you think that it would be possible for the linkage on the transfer case to have come loose which would then have allowed the transfer case to slip into gear? I'm a little spooked about towing now as I haven't been able to identify the cause of the problem.
Canuck

Old 04-26-2006, 04:15 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Canuck:
AlvinC,
You seem to be knowledgable about these Jeeps. No one was able to explain for me what caused my disaster. Do you think that it would be possible for the linkage on the transfer case to have come loose which would then have allowed the transfer case to slip into gear? I'm a little spooked about towing now as I haven't been able to identify the cause of the problem.
Canuck </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I am not an auto mechanic by any means. My experience came from trials and my offroad experience.

On my first offroad trip, I could not get my Wrangler into 4 low. Another offroader, mechanical engineer, and I fiddled with it for 20 minutes. I ended up doing the trail in 4 high. This would have been impossible with a stick shift, doable with an automatic.

After that I figured out, from manuals, how to properly set up the transfer case. I should mention that my Wranger was lifted, with a dropped transfer case skid plate. It was used, and I have to wonder how much time it had ever spent in 4 low. Actually I wonder this about most 4 wheel drive vehicles on the road.

In any case, I have found that after lifting the engine, adding a body lift, and raising the transfer case skid plate; after each change I had to re-adjust the transfer case shifter. Mine even has a shifter modification because of the Terra 4 inch lift.

We have towed the Wrangler over 20,000 miles and had no problems. The shifter seems relatively positive about when it is in Neutral.

I understand your concern, and all I can do is guess. Here are my guesses in order of probability:
<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>Shifter was mis-aligned.<LI>Something hit the shifter, most likely in the down direction which should shift it into 4 high.<LI>Sharp jolt on roadway caused the shifter to move. Could go either direction. Again might be related to mis-alignment.<LI>Defective transfer case.[/list]I always watch the toad carefully during the first few feet and turns to make sure the wheels are turning and the front wheels are tracking during the turns.
Old 04-26-2006, 05:43 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
I'll throw out one other scenario, since you have a 96 wrangler. Before 97 the oil pump in the transfer case was not on the driveshaft side, 97 and after was moved to the driveshaft side to provide lubrication while towing.

I was told by a 4x4 shop that anything before 97 should be towed no more than 200 miles before stopping and running the engine and cycling the transfer case and transmission for a few minutes to ensure enough lubrication for the components or the driveshaft should be removed. 97 and after have the transfer case oil pump tied to the driveshaft side to ensure oiling while towing, 96 and back did not.

I had a 84 CJ7 that wasted a 4 speed manual transmission due to towing because I put it in neutral instead of a high gear and it wore out the bearings due to rotation. I had also stopped and cycled the transfer case but it still got the trans.

So...whatever you may believe or think that's my experience and beliefs. With my 97 I just put it in park with the case in neutral and go for the first 4 years. Now I just put it in the back of my Warrior and it gets to ride, no wear or tear that way.
Vette Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 03:33 PM   #9

Triple E Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Alvin and Tom,
Tx for your input. Alvin, I went over some extremely rough roads three days before the incident, however, I might guess that the shifter was gradually coming out of alignment and then I hit one bump and poof.
Tom, I'll check in with my local transmission shop on the lube pump issue to confirm if the xfer case on the Grand C. is the same as the Wrangler.
Canuck

Old 04-27-2006, 04:03 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Not sure if this thread is the right place for this..
My 04 Liberty is placed in park after the transfer case is slipped into neutral and the engine is turned off. Ok now, with that arrangement and with the toad being pulled along I have noticed that the front drive shaft rotates. Is this normal even though the case is in neutral? Are the front and rear drive shafts locked together when the transfer case is in neutral? Or is it just that the front axle does not have any disconnect built into it.

Marty
Old 04-27-2006, 04:12 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by M&EM:
Not sure if this thread is the right place for this..
My 04 Liberty is placed in park after the transfer case is slipped into neutral and the engine is turned off. Ok now, with that arrangement and with the toad being pulled along I have noticed that the front drive shaft rotates. Is this normal even though the case is in neutral? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Yes.

Cannot speak to the Liberty, but the Wrangler does the same thing. You might look and notice that even when the Liberty is in 4 High the front driveshaft turns. There are no disconnects or auto hubs, etc on our vehicles. This means that all the stuff in front is rotating (wearing) when in any mode (2 High, 4 High, 4 Low, or Neutral).

This is why some people install front hubs (Warn) so that the only thing that rotates are the wheel bearings. Problem is, at least for the Wrangler, front hubs are ~$1000, a lot of money.<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by M&EM:
Are the front and rear drive shafts locked together when the transfer case is in neutral? Or is it just that the front axle does not have any disconnect built into it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Not locked together, just no disconnect.