Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-11-2012, 06:49 PM   #1

2001 CHEV Tracker-towing question

I have heard that when towing my 2001 CHEV Tracker(auto & 4x4)that I shouldn't exceed 55mph and should stop every 200 miles to start the vehicle and cycle thru the transmission. Obviously I will if I have to, but would sooner cruise along a little faster and longer if it won't hurt the tracker. Thanks!
Dawg Daze is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-12-2012, 02:47 AM   #2

REMCO has a good list of what you should or should not do for many rigs.
Store : Remco.
I bought our samurai then found out, I can only tow it 200 miles, etc. same thing..
So now, if our trip is over 200 miles, I remove the rear drive shaft. 8 small bolts, easy to do.. takes about 5 min....
You might call REMCO.. They can at least tell you where to check..
Good luck..
kb7uxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 02:51 AM   #3

A quick inna net search I found this:

FMCA towing guide for 2001 states that you can tow 4 down.
Transfer case in N. Trans. in Park. Unlock steering wheel.
The owners manual,if you had one, would state: tow at 55mph. Stop ever 200 miles, state engine and let run a few minutes.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:13 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
I speak only from what I have experienced. I have a 02 Suzuki XL-7 which is basically the same as a Tracker. I put the manual transfer case in neutral, trans in park and the key on accessory to unlock the steering wheel. If convenient I start it every approx. 200 miles and run it for approx a minute with trans in drive. 90% of my driving is done at 65-69 MPH.It has been driven over 90,000 miles plus towed over 150,000 miles. Still runs like new. Only replaced front wheel bearings plus battery/brakes.It is a great tow.
charles tuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:51 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
I also have towed a 2001 chevy tracker many miles at 65 mph and never had a problem. I did change the trans fluid and transfer case oil on a regular basis and tried to adhere to the 200 mile limit. the one thing I will say is most of my travels were not in the heat of the summer. I guess outside temp could make a difference. so maybe you could feel the fluid on the dip stick when you stop to see how hot it gets. if it ever feels hot or smells burnt I would change it right away.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:17 AM   #6

We have towed our 2000 Chevy tracker over 2,000 miles with no regard for speed. I do abide by the 200 mile or every 3 or 4 hours rule and have had no problems towing with our 2007 winnie sighstseer and blue ox towbar. We use no add on brake system either.
Old 12-12-2012, 02:08 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
We had a 98 tracker that we towed at whatever speed we wanted with no ill effects. I did run it every 200 miles or so though.
Submustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 05:58 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

We have towed both a 2000 & 2004 Tracker well over 60k miles. Never worried about speed but did stop every 200 to run the engine.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:10 AM   #9

note that the tracker transfer case when put in Neutral,
disconnects the motor, but the drive shafts are still connected!!!!
so if you put the transfer case in N, the front drive shaft will be turning also !!
so it's almost better to put the transfer case in 2H and trans in N....
well, thats what I read, then I got under my samurai and verified this to be true.

Here's what I found at "" PETRO WORKS ""
How to Flat Tow a Samurai
The Suzuki Samurai makes an excellent flat vehicle. The lightweight combined with the low cost of the vehicle make it an excellent choice. Whether it is behind a motor home or behind the pickup truck.
However, there is a special way to do it.
1. Make sure the front hubs are unlocked, on 4x4 models.
2. Put the Transfer Case in “N” neutral.
3. Put the Transmission in “2” gear.
4. Key in the ignition to prevent the steering wheel from locking.
5. Test to make sure the Transfer case is in neutral by starting the car and letting the clutch out to make sure you do not have any forward motion.
6. After testing turn off car, then move key to “ACC” position, 1 click past off.
NOTE: IF YOU HAVE A 2 WHEEL DRIVE SAMURAI YOU MUST DISCONNECT THE REAR DRIVESHAFT. OR USE A TOW DOLLY AND TOW IT BACKWARDS.
What happens if it is not done this way?
Well, the Suzuki transfer case is not a true neutral tcase. So when you are towing the rear driveshaft turns the output shaft on the tcase which transfers back to the transmission.
This spins the transmission output shaft. If it is not in 2nd gear no oil will be splashed onto the bearings and seals. They will eventually dry out and seize up, then start to turn the crank on the motor, which will not pump oil, and will then seize the motor and blow a hole through the side of the block in the #3 or #4 piston area.
Yes, we have seen this MANY TIMES, and this is the ONLY WAY Suzuki Recommends flat towing a Samurai.
Old 12-13-2012, 08:11 AM   #10

So it looks like highway speed is fine. Stop every 200 miles will be fine. Thanks for the tips. Keep them coming!
Dawg Daze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:22 AM   #11

Dawg, I towed a Chevy tracker for several years and never had a problem with speeds even over the speed limit, but I did stop around the 200 mile mark and run it.
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:35 AM   #12

After thinking about getting rid of the tracker, I visited my local FORD dealer to take a look at the new Escape. Nobody there could tell me if it could be towed. I researched it through Ford and found out that it CAN NOT !. However, in the process, I determined that our 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid CAN BE TOWED 4 WHEELS down with no goofy rules!. I found out that the base plate for our BlueOX is $1,400 installed and am thinking about that, however, As long as we own the Tracker, and it does so well behind the MH, I think I might just hang on to it and pull it a while longer. Everything works on it including the AC, cruise, CD player AND it is a convertible 4WD, something you don't see much of anymore. Maybe next year, I'll switch to pulling the Hybrid, but for now, going to stick with what works for less money and no wear and tear on the good car.
Old 12-13-2012, 03:04 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
We had a '91 that we bought new to use as a toad, had over 100k on it when we sold it - no problems. No regard for speed, I did start it at every gas stop. Traveling with the DP now we still stop every 3 hours or so, just not for fuel, likely at a rest stop, so it still wouldn't be much of an inconvenience.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote