Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-06-2015, 06:36 AM   #1

2002 Honda CR-V Fuse pull?

Hi, getting set to get my PIG TALE (2002 Honda CR-V, AWD) ready for towing. I have seen discussions relating to pulling the fuse of my CR-V to avoid battery drain. But my question is different.

Background: My previous TOAD was a 1997 Geo Tracker. It also required the key be in the first 'On' position to keep the steering wheel unlocked. This resulted in battery drain, albeit minor. While searching forums back in 2009, I ran across a post that changed this procedure. It seems that turning the key off, BUT LEAVING IT IN THE IGNITION, kept the steering wheel unlocked. Only when the key was removed did the steering wheel lock click into place. I used this revised procedure for the next five years with no problems whatsoever - and no battery drain.

I have 'static' tested this same procedure on my 2002 Honda CR-V and it seems to be the same.

I have seen no reference to this on any thread. Can anyone who tows a 2002 Honda CR-V (2002-2006 should be the same?) verify this to be true?

Thanks in advance,

Spadguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-06-2015, 06:48 AM   #2

Interesting, I have a manual 2002 CRV so I will check this out and report back. I don't pull a fuse and I have never had a problem with the BrakeBuddy draining the battery, even after towing for 14 hours straight (don't ask).

Old 07-06-2015, 11:44 AM   #3

I just checked my 2002 CR-V, and yes, I can leave the key in the ignition without the steering locking up. This won't do me any good though, since I have to leave the key in the accessory position to power my BrakeBuddy.
Old 07-06-2015, 12:35 PM   #4
Senior Member - DIYer

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have a 2001 Civic that should be similar. I will need to go out in the barn and try it. (see if wheel locks or not with key in ignition)

We turn ours off and leave it in the ACC position after running the automatic transmission through the gears in the proper sequence.

I also installed a switch that removes power from the ACC line, Its labeled TOW - DRIVE.

It won't do MACH 2, but I can get a sandwich and take a pee.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 04:19 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algonquin View Post
I just checked my 2002 CR-V, and yes, I can leave the key in the ignition without the steering locking up. This won't do me any good though, since I have to leave the key in the accessory position to power my BrakeBuddy.
Thanks for that. I did not use brakes with my Tracker since it was so light. But the CR-V weights quite a bit more. Am I asking for trouble if I tow without brake assist in my TOAD? (I think I know the answer to my own question.)
Spadguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 04:33 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spadguy View Post
Thanks for that. I did not use brakes with my Tracker since it was so light. But the CR-V weights quite a bit more. Am I asking for trouble if I tow without brake assist in my TOAD? (I think I know the answer to my own question.)
After running it through the gear sequence to lube the bearings then to off and do not remove the key works fine. The fuse is to be removed if you intend on running for more that eight hours. But you are supposed to run the engine and do the gear sequence if you are going over eight hours. The fuse they have you remove runs the radio I believe.

As far as trouble with the CRV goes I think most states require a brake system for anything towed over 3,000 pounds and you are over that on the door sticker before you put stuff in it not to mention 10 gallons of gas.
2018 DS DP 4369 #607121 Cummins ISL9 450 HP
"We are from, where ever we were yesterday"
VP Chianese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 10:02 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I have been using a charge line from my coach chassis battery to the toad battery fused at both batteries for a few yrs now, no more dead batteries and cost about $20.

2015 Kia Soul 6 speed manual
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuse, honda