Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-10-2011, 04:33 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
2003 40TGH Phaeton & SMI Air Force One

I'm real close to being a proud owner of a 2003 Tiffin Phaeton. I'm a little embarassed to say that I don't have any idea if it has air brakes or not. But, maybe someone can enlighten me as to whether or not the SMI Air Force One System will work with that coach. Also, do I have to order the Air Force One from SMI, or do some dealers stock them ? I'm not about to go tapping into a coaches air brake lines, so I'll have to have an RV shop install it. Where do I find a list of Installers ?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-10-2011, 06:22 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Yes it has air brakes and yes the Air Force One brake System will work with it. We have an '04 Phaeton 40 TGH and I hope you enjoy yours as we have ours.

Dadeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 04:01 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Thank you Del. The Air Force One seems like the best braking solution that I've read about.
I checked your Rig. It's a beauty. I'm really excited about the prospects of owning a Tiffin. The only thing holding me back is that it's sitting in Texas and I'm in Michigan. I can't get down there until the first week in April, and I'm afraid somebody else will buy it. I'm not comfortable with sending a deposit on a coach that I've not seen or driven. Pins and Needles. We'll be retiring in a couple months, and then, October through April we'll be seeing the country, warm country that is. Hopefully, we'll cross paths.
Don
Don
Old 03-11-2011, 04:26 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Don

In addition to being a member here, you might want to consider joining the Tiffin RV Network. You will learn a heck of a lot about tiffins, pros and cons. They also have a classified section. Most coaches listed in there are sold by members who are upgrading.

BTW I also use the SMI. you don't have to hook into the air brakes.

jack
Old 03-11-2011, 05:04 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
The Air Force One is a great system. My pickup is about 5K lbs. The brake system is easy to set up and stops the truck without problems. I like that it is a complete system including break-away. I also wired the indicator light through my 6 pin connector to a light on the dash. Much better than the old box brake I had before.
Submustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 07:12 PM   #6

There is a dealer network for SMI Air Force One (and the Stay-N-Play Duo for hydraulic brake coaches). You can go to their website to find nearby dealers (we are a dealer).
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 07:47 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
As to the SMI Stay in Play Duo, you can certainly use this on a coach with
air brakes if you are reluctant to tap your air brake line. Also is an easier
DIY install, and the toad can now be pulled by any coach. SMI makes a
good product, and they back it up if you have any issues.
Old 03-13-2011, 07:03 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by michguy View Post
Thank you Del. The Air Force One seems like the best braking solution that I've read about.
I checked your Rig. It's a beauty. I'm really excited about the prospects of owning a Tiffin. The only thing holding me back is that it's sitting in Texas and I'm in Michigan. I can't get down there until the first week in April, and I'm afraid somebody else will buy it. I'm not comfortable with sending a deposit on a coach that I've not seen or driven. Pins and Needles. We'll be retiring in a couple months, and then, October through April we'll be seeing the country, warm country that is. Hopefully, we'll cross paths.
Don
Don
With nearly 60,000 members on this forum surely someone is close to the location of the coach you are interest in and why not ask for a volunteer to go by and inspect it for you.

Del
Dadeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 07:01 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Any dealers in /Southern New Jersey, SE Pennsylvania?