Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-25-2006, 06:47 AM   #1

I am about to pull my MDX for the first time and am concerned about the ability of my 1996 Damon Daybreak to pull. Anyone with any experience?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2006, 06:47 AM   #2

I am about to pull my MDX for the first time and am concerned about the ability of my 1996 Damon Daybreak to pull. Anyone with any experience?

Old 09-25-2006, 10:35 AM   #3

Donrob,
We need some more information: What chassis do you have? What is the tow rating of your chassis? What is the Gross Combined Weight Rating? What does the MDX weigh?
Most chassis in 1996 had a 3500# tow rating, however I have pulled a 4600# Explorer for over 40,000 miles with no problem. Make sure you have an auxillary braking system on the MDX.
Oh yes, Welcome to irv2 , welcome aboard.
Loren
Old 09-25-2006, 02:11 PM   #4

My GVWR on the Damon is 14800# and the acura GVWR is 5700#.

The GCWR is 17000#. I plan to tow the Acura for about 500 Miles no mountians.
Old 09-25-2006, 05:23 PM   #5

OK, playing with the numbers a bit: If your coach is loaded to the max, as many are (actually most are overloaded, only way to know is to weigh it loaded for a trip), then you only have 2200 pounds left for towing. The Acura PROBABLY weighs close to 5000 pounds. Nobody in their right mind is going to tell you it is OK to tow that car. BUT, when you do tow it, please use an auxillary tow brake of some kind! Your stopping distance is going to be increased considerably
Good luck,
Loren
Old 09-26-2006, 05:52 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Loren is right - there is no way that Daybreak can safely tow the Acura. The Gross Combined Weight rating on that light duty chassis is probably no more than 17,000 lbs, and maybe less. And I'll bet the receiver hitch is only rated for 3000-4000 lbs too.

Get your chassis specs, or at least identify the cahssis here so we can match it to some known parameters, but be prepared to be disappointed.

You also need to consider the actal weight of the Acura but the curb weight off the registration papers is probably close enough for this estimate. And the actual (not GVWR) weight of the Daybreak, when loaded for travel.

Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote