Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-11-2018, 03:56 PM   #1

2003 Jeep Liberty Flat towing question

I just purchased an '03 Jeep Liberty Sport 4WD Automatic. Seller was second owner but first owner set it up for flat tow. Blue Ox base plate, etc still on vehicle. Wish I could speak to original owner but could not locate them.

I have read the owners manual regarding flat tow and it gives step by step instructions none of which mentions leaving the key on.

I'm new to flat towing and during my research on vehicles, it seems that most manufactures mentioned something about the key being left on in some position during the time the vehicle is towed to keep the steering unlocked.
I know what the Jeep manual says but I'm reaching out in hopes of avoiding a huge mistake.

Does anyone out there have a '03 Liberty they tow or any information to share regarding the key on/off question?

Input would be appreciated.
DemetriSr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2018, 04:04 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
We towed an '02 for many years and per the owners manual;

7. Shut the engine OFF and place the ignition key into
the unlocked OFF position

The front wheels need to be able to turn left and right to track with the motorhome.
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 10:10 AM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Can't answer your question but noticed that you are kinda new on IRV2 and wanted to say hello! Have fun and keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 01:11 PM   #4

Appalachian Campers
We towed an 03 Jeep Liberty for several years. Place the key into the unlocked off position.
igor2brvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 08:56 PM   #5

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
it is what I have. I use the second key and do exactly what the owners manual says. You have to leave a key in the ignition. There are two off positions: Off and Locked - this the position after driving, turning off, and pulling the key out. The next position (turning toward the start position) is the off but unlocked position. I can not pull the key out in this position. It is where you want the key after putting drive train in neutral.

Good Travels
Tax_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 09:04 PM   #6
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
We towed an 06 for 10 years & what others have said about having the key in the OFF position is correct.

Have a dummy key made for this. A dummy key will insert in the ignition & do what you want it to do, but it won't have the circuitry to allow the car to be stolen. If some thief has thoughts on stealing it, it will start with the dummy key, but within a few seconds the engine will shut down.

We never had an issue with even an attempt at stealing, but a precaution we took just to be sure.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 07:25 PM   #7

I know this to thread is several months old, but I needed some info here and hope what i found works for me. I have an 06 liberty 4x4 as a toad. In shop now for brakes, wiring and tow brackets. I had a dummy key made today and will see if that works as stated above. I'll re report back for any others who may find this thread later on, looking for information on key position and steering wheel lock. Thanks
davendeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 08:30 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by davendeb View Post
I know this to thread is several months old, but I needed some info here and hope what i found works for me. I have an 06 liberty 4x4 as a toad. In shop now for brakes, wiring and tow brackets. I had a dummy key made today and will see if that works as stated above. I'll re report back for any others who may find this thread later on, looking for information on key position and steering wheel lock. Thanks
Well, turns out the dummy key will start the Jeep every other try but goes dead in about 3 seconds.
In between attempts it cranks but does not start. Cool.
Old 04-13-2019, 08:35 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If there is a steering wheel lock, you need to leave the key in/on so as to unlock it.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 04:49 PM   #10

Turn key to run position and back up one click. Or find a mechanic to take out lock pin. Should take about one hour.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 08:29 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
We towed an 06 for 10 years & what others have said about having the key in the OFF position is correct.

Have a dummy key made for this. A dummy key will insert in the ignition & do what you want it to do, but it won't have the circuitry to allow the car to be stolen. If some thief has thoughts on stealing it, it will start with the dummy key, but within a few seconds the engine will shut down.

We never had an issue with even an attempt at stealing, but a precaution we took just to be sure.

Lori-
Absolutely true. My dummy key will start it but goes dead before you can put it in gear. 2008 liberty
Old 04-17-2019, 08:31 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
If there is a steering wheel lock, you need to leave the key in/on so as to unlock it.
Yes. I figured that out. With key out, wheel locks.
With key inserted and in the off position, wheel will not lock. Thanks.
Old 04-18-2019, 01:17 PM   #13

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by igor2brvn View Post
We towed an 03 Jeep Liberty for several years. Place the key into the unlocked off position.

I also went to a locksmith and had a dummy key made so the Jeep could not be stolen. It would not start and the locksmith knew exactly what I wanted.
Ted Lambert is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing