Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-14-2016, 03:40 PM   #1
Dad

Monaco Owners Club
2004 Honda CRV tow questions on keeping battery on

When I first got our rig I just got some of the magnet lights and plugged in. That worked great but the wiring was rubbing the paint off. So I bought a universal light kit to use the lights on the crv for the tow. But for those to work the battery has to be on.

According to Honda the trans needs to be in N, 4 wheels down and the battery needs to be off. (Had a disconnect switch installed) So is it ok to tow this thing with the battery in the radio only position or in auxiliary position with out running the battery down? Or do I need to get out every few 100 miles and start it up to charge the batt?

Or am I out the $100 I paid a mechanic to install the kit and need to go back to magnets.

Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2016, 05:16 PM   #2

I still use the magnetic light system on top of my VW Jetta. The seven pin trailer connector, I think center pin is 12 volts (correct me if I'm wrong) from the RV. I used that to supply charge to the toad battery with reset able diode. In other words the power from the car can not go to the RV. The typical wiring for the magnetic light only has four wires so I had to add one hot wire. Hope this helps

Old 06-14-2016, 05:25 PM   #3

I tow a 2009 Honda CRV with a Freightliner chassis coach.

On my Honda, Sharon starts the engine, and puts it into R, then down to Low, and then to 2 then to drive, then to Neutral. You must go from Drive to Neutral.

Now she turns the ignition switch off.(the position where the steering wheel is not locked, but the engine is not running.

Now you have three choices:

One choice is to disconnect the battery with the switch you installed. If it is a heavy duty switch capable of handling 100 starter motor amps, then OK.

Second choice is to pull the fuse the manual indicates, or install a fuse switch.

Third choice, and the one we use, it to install a "charge line". That is a electric wire from the coach to the Honda connecting it to the Honda battery. With this option, all I have to do is plug in my Pigtail wire from the coach to the Honda and I'm done! Nothing else to do electrically.

Question? What chassis do you have under the coach?
What toad braking system do you use? Some of them draw electricity and you have to account for it.
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 06:56 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Just install a charge line from your motorhome to the car's battery. That's what I do with my toad and it solves the issue.
2007 42' Country Coach Intrigue #12149 CAT 525HP engine being pushed by a 2007 Cadillac CTS (4 down)
FMCA, Good Sam, CCFI, CCI, NWCC
CarlAda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 07:34 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad View Post
When I first got our rig I just got some of the magnet lights and plugged in. That worked great but the wiring was rubbing the paint off. So I bought a universal light kit to use the lights on the crv for the tow. But for those to work the battery has to be on.

According to Honda the trans needs to be in N, 4 wheels down and the battery needs to be off. (Had a disconnect switch installed) So is it ok to tow this thing with the battery in the radio only position or in auxiliary position with out running the battery down? Or do I need to get out every few 100 miles and start it up to charge the batt?

Or am I out the $100 I paid a mechanic to install the kit and need to go back to magnets.
Dad:

I'm guessing you already know the procedure immediately before you begin towing. To answer your question, leave the ignition switch in ACC (I) and then remove the 7.5 A ACC/Radio fuse, or like Bigd9 said, add a fuse switch. Alot of RVers report no battery problem. Stopping every hour or so to start and charge the toad's battery would be a pita. Hook up a charge wire via solenoid and your good to go for 8 hours non stop.
1996 34'J Fleetwood Bounder, Chevy 454 TBI P-32, Bank PowerPack, Ultra Power Chip, BellCranks, Rear Trac Bar, Silver Safe-T-Plus and 04 CR-V Toad, Roadmaster Base Plate and All Terain Tow Bar, SMI Stay-In-Play DUO.
leesdx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 09:14 PM   #6

The previous comments address the battery drain but not necessarily the lights, if I understand the original question. Just running the road lights won't do much good because you need the turn signals and stop lights. Our installer put a second bulb in the taillight housing. That way there is no connection to the vehicle lights and the operation is not tied to the key or the road battery.

As you probably know. The CRV is notorious for dead batteries while towing. We installed the fuse bypass switch but have not towed enough yet since to give a full report on how well it works.
Old 06-14-2016, 09:17 PM   #7

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
After running the battery down a few times in our '05 Ody I installed a charge line. When we traded for the present CC the tech came back on a Sat and wired in the charge line for us. No problems now.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 08:58 PM   #8

Toad battery dies while being towed.

"Just install a charge line from your motorhome to the car's battery. That's what I do with my toad and it solves the issue."

How did you do this? I am guessing that the center pin of the pigtail from the motorhome to the dingy is hot. But did you just run a wire to the toads battery? Thanks ...
Old 06-16-2016, 09:06 PM   #9

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlboarman View Post
"Just install a charge line from your motorhome to the car's battery. That's what I do with my toad and it solves the issue."

How did you do this? I am guessing that the center pin of the pigtail from the motorhome to the dingy is hot. But did you just run a wire to the toads battery? Thanks ...
In a 7 pin plug the center pin is used for backup lights, it's pin #4 that's supposed to be used for power. And yes, it's always hot unless you wire it through a manual switch or solenoid wired to the ignition. Ours is wired to a solenoid so it's only hot when the ignition switch is on.

Link to RoadMaster diagram: http://roadmasterinc.com/pdf/85-4959-01.pdf

However there's nothing keeping you from using the center pin as long as you remember it's not wired to the standard. I used the center pin when I wired ours.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 11:16 PM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlboarman View Post

I took the easy way out and bought a toad-charge. It's more expensive, but bulletproof.
2007 42' Country Coach Intrigue #12149 CAT 525HP engine being pushed by a 2007 Cadillac CTS (4 down)
FMCA, Good Sam, CCFI, CCI, NWCC
CarlAda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 09:24 AM   #11

In a 7 pin plug the center pin is used for backup lights, it's pin #4 that's supposed to be used for power. And yes, it's always hot unless you wire it through a manual switch or solenoid wired to the ignition. Ours is wired to a solenoid so it's only hot when the ignition switch is on.

However there's nothing keeping you from using the center pin as long as you remember it's not wired to the standard. I used the center pin when I wired ours.

Thanks ... there was another post about using a device I might consider too. Mostly, because there might be some regulating the charge. Dan
TOAD-CHARGE Dinghy Vehicle Battery Charger/Maintainer
Old 06-17-2016, 09:27 AM   #12

Dead battery on toad.

Thanks ... there was another post about using a device I might consider too. Mostly, because there might be some regulating the charge. Dan
TOAD-CHARGE Dinghy Vehicle Battery Charger/Maintainer
Old 06-18-2016, 09:12 AM   #13

I tow a CRV and have never had battery problems. I use separate lights on a light bar added to the receiver hitch. wires pass through the CRV & don't connect to the CRV wires. I have a switch to disconnect the acc. fuse inside and I pull fuse #16 under the hood to disconnect the CRV stop lights. No reason to have them drawing power while the Brake Buddy is pushing on the brake.
To assist in removing #16, I super glued a small handle to the top of the fuse (about 5/8"), makes it easy to identify and remove.
Old 06-18-2016, 07:28 PM   #14

We installed a charge line for our 2005 Honda Element. We will do the same when we set up our 2007 CRV for tow.

Tags
battery, honda, tow