Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-13-2015, 07:57 PM   #1

2004 Jeep TOAD

Hello all,
I am looking at purchasing a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee it has the neutral transfer case and has been a toad in the past. The dealer claims the miles are high due it being towed behind an RV. Do the miles still accumulate on the Jeep GC when the transfer case is in neutral and trans in park?

Thank you
Ron

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2015, 08:19 PM   #2

Sorry

Not sure how, but this ended up in the wrong section and I cannot figure out how to delete it.

Old 08-13-2015, 08:23 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdedsouth View Post
Not sure how, but this ended up in the wrong section and I cannot figure out how to delete it.

Next time, look on the bottom-left of the post. Click on that little exclamation point inside a triangle to "report" the post to a moderator, who will move the thread to the correct forum.

But don't do it for this thread - I've already reported the thread should be moved to the motorhome/toad forum.
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 08:27 PM   #4

Quote:
Hello all,
I am looking at purchasing a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee it has the neutral transfer case and has been a toad in the past. The dealer claims the miles are high due it being towed behind an RV. Do the miles still accumulate on the Jeep GC when the transfer case is in neutral and trans in park?

Thank you
Ron
I've never heard of any vehicle accumulating miles as it's being towed
Ret Syntst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 08:31 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
I am pretty sure the answer is NO. If the jeep had its transfer case in neutral and the key in the unlock position (not on), then no mileage will accumulate when towed. Probably the transfer case is all that matters for odometer reading. If the trasfer case was not in neutral while being towed, I certainly wouldn't buy it. What is the odometer reading?
Old 08-13-2015, 08:36 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
2004 Jeep TOAD

No, the. towed miles should not reflect on the odometer of that jeep. The miles indicated are driven miles, and in addition there are towed miles that are not reflected. That said, these Jeeps are known for their longevity.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 08:45 PM   #7

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ret Syntst View Post
I've never heard of any vehicle accumulating miles as it's being towed
My parents older Honda did. They disconnected the speedo cable when towing. That's illegal now though.

We did have a '97 GC and it didn't register miles when towed. Our present '05 Ody doesn't register when towing it either.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 08:56 PM   #8
KIX

Quote:
Hello all,

Thank you
Ron
NO, it will not register miles when being towed.
IMO I would stay away from a Cherokee of that vintage if it has the 4.7 engine. That engine has aluminum heads and is relatively easy to overheat. If you do decide to buy it (and it has the 4.7L) be aware of potential overheating damage and be proactive about engine cooling. Always uyse a good quality oil too.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 09:03 PM   #9
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post
Next time, look on the bottom-left of the post. Click on that little exclamation point inside a triangle to "report" the post to a moderator, who will move the thread to the correct forum.

But don't do it for this thread - I've already reported the thread should be moved to the motorhome/toad forum.
Thank you for the heads up.
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 09:20 PM   #10

Jeep Toad

Thanks to all for the replies and for the assist getting this in the correct forum. This Jeep does have the 4.7 v-8 with 214000 miles, I think I will just let it go.
Thanks Again,
Ron
Old 08-13-2015, 09:34 PM   #11

Miles do not accumulate on our 97 Jeep GC while towing. I doubt they do on 04 either. Ask the dealer to show you how that happens.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 09:40 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
I tow a 2004 GC and the odometer does not change when towing.

It does have ~120 thousand miles on it...
Old 08-17-2015, 05:22 PM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIX View Post
NO, it will not register miles when being towed.
IMO I would stay away from a Cherokee of that vintage if it has the 4.7 engine. That engine has aluminum heads and is relatively easy to overheat. If you do decide to buy it (and it has the 4.7L) be aware of potential overheating damage and be proactive about engine cooling. Always uyse a good quality oil too.
That model will have an electronic speedo. No mile register IF the key is in the off position.

older cars with a speedo cable will register miles unless unhooked.
You can tell if a car has a electronic speedo as it will work in reverse usually.

The 04 and older Grand Cherokees last a VERY long time if they have the 4.0 Six engine. and stay away from dual climate controls, and any transfer case with Quadra in its name. (they work just fine for the first 100K then die)
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 05:34 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well, you know when a dealers salesman's lips are moving he's usually lying. I'm sure there may be a vehicle or two out there where the miles may accumulate but I'm sure the Jeep isn't one of them.

Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad