Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-21-2013, 08:18 AM   #1

National RV Owners Club
2004 Toyota Tacoma Toad

Have a Tacoma, 4x4, with a driveshaft disconnect, automatic. Can I tow it 4 wheel down??? I know Totota says no, but will trans be OK without a lube pump?

Thanks
K3ryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2013, 08:49 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by K3ryl View Post
Have a Tacoma, 4x4, with a driveshaft disconnect, automatic. Can I tow it 4 wheel down??? I know Totota says no, but will trans be OK without a lube pump?

Thanks
I bought a 2007 Tacoma 4dr for a gentleman that set it up with the disconnect and he had no problems at all. I have only towed mine a few miles, so I don't have any history myself.
Bangorbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 01:48 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Normally you would use either the lube pump or the disconnect, but not both, since each of them is intended to solve the same problem. Bit since it is a 4x4, the answer may be no. Or that you need TWO disconnects, since there are two drive shafts. You need to be concerned about both the transmission and the differential, both of which need lubrication and cooling is spinning while underway.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 05:49 PM   #4

What type of transfer case do you have? Is it shifted with a lever and have a neutral position or is it a switch on the dash that selects 2WD and 4WD.
Old 07-22-2013, 12:54 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Thanks for the replys. The transfer case is manual not electronic. Shluld I be OK with the transfer case in neutral?? First time towing a toad and just want to make sure.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:20 AM   #6

If your Toyota has a manual transfer case with a neutral position then you are fine to tow 4-down. I would recommend installing manual front hubs instead of the automatic ones now on the truck. This will completely unlock the front differential and eliminate any possible excessive wear on tires and front driveline.
Old 07-22-2013, 02:06 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lllkrob View Post
If your Toyota has a manual transfer case with a neutral position then you are fine to tow 4-down. I would recommend installing manual front hubs instead of the automatic ones now on the truck. This will completely unlock the front differential and eliminate any possible excessive wear on tires and front driveline.
Thanks, just what I hoped was the case. Where would I look for the manual front hub disconnects and any idea of the $'s involved

Thanks again, Kevin
Old 07-22-2013, 02:20 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
With a driveshaft disconnect, I would leave the 4x4 selector in 2hi... if you are in Nuetral or 4hi then the front hubs are engaged.

I tow a 97 4runner 4x4.. similar system (no really!) I removed the driveline if I am going more than 100 miles.. if 100 miles or less, I just through the transfer case in Neutral. The Rear Bearing in the transfer case doesn't get too hot on short trips. You'll cook it (and eventually blow it up) without that Driveline disconnect.

Old 07-23-2013, 08:33 AM   #9

Toyota does not recommend towing four down with the TC in neutral. You may be able to do it but officially it's not recommended. I have towed a 1998 Tacoma (same drivetrain as the 2004) for over 20000 miles with no issue. I use a driveshaft disconnect on the rear driveshaft and tow in two hi and the transmission in park. I actually just sold the Tacoma and removed the disconnect. Depending on what model Tacoma it is (extended cab, 4 door, etc) it may fit your truck. It needs a little cleaning up but was still functioning when I removed it last month. If you are interested in it shoot me a pm.
PbdBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 07:14 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PbdBlue View Post
Toyota does not recommend towing four down with the TC in neutral. You may be able to do it but officially it's not recommended. I have towed a 1998 Tacoma (same drivetrain as the 2004) for over 20000 miles with no issue. I use a driveshaft disconnect on the rear driveshaft and tow in two hi and the transmission in park. I actually just sold the Tacoma and removed the disconnect. Depending on what model Tacoma it is (extended cab, 4 door, etc) it may fit your truck. It needs a little cleaning up but was still functioning when I removed it last month. If you are interested in it shoot me a pm.
PM sent

Tags
toad