Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-12-2015, 06:12 PM   #1

Carolina Campers
2005 chrysler toad

please, can someone tell me if my 2005 chrylser sebring convertible can be flat towed and if so, do i need to have a transmission pump installed?

thx much

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2015, 07:08 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
From the 2005 Chrysler Sebring convertible Owner's Manual, pg 198: "Your vehicle may be towed under the following conditions: The gear selector must be in NEUTRAL, the distance to be towed must not exceed 15 miles (25 km), and the towing speed must not exceed 25 mph (40 km/h). If the transaxle is not operative, or if the vehicle is to be towed more than 15 miles (25 km), the vehicle must be towed with the front wheels off the ground."

My Chrysler: Chrysler Owners Service Manuals - Chrysler Cars, Minivans, SUVs, Convertibles, Crossovers

So...if you make your trips in 15 mile increments at no faster than 25 mph, you won't need a transmission pump.

This is a listing of towable cars for 2005. They issue them for each model year.

http://www.royrobinsonrv.com/images/...Guide-2005.pdf

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 08:13 PM   #3

Carolina Campers
thx...yes i read that but still no answer....can i flat tow the vehicle if i add a transmission pump?

thx for the link
Old 06-12-2015, 08:25 PM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gigem View Post
thx...yes i read that but still no answer....can i flat tow the vehicle if i add a transmission pump?

thx for the link
Here's the link to Remco. Select the information for your car and you'll have your answer.

http://www.remcoindustries.com/Towing/Store.php

Bob & Donna
Old 06-13-2015, 06:32 AM   #5

Carolina Campers
bingo...

thx alot, the remco page answered my question!!

you have been very helpful......im going to purchase my "new" rv today (2008 monaco cayman, 36ft, 8K mles) and hope to be on the road soon, maybe i will see you out there?
Old 06-24-2015, 09:00 PM   #6

Bear in mind that regardless of what Remco says on their website, they will not accept any liability if you install one their lube pumps and your transmission fails. They fall back on the manufactures recommendations that the vehicle not be towed . . . Members have had transmissions fail on Chrysler Town & Country's outfitted with a remco lube pump and Remco has hung them out to dry!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 09:13 PM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit_the_Rhod View Post
Bear in mind that regardless of what Remco says on their website, they will not accept any liability if you install one their lube pumps and your transmission fails. They fall back on the manufactures recommendations that the vehicle not be towed . . . Members have had transmissions fail on Chrysler Town & Country's outfitted with a remco lube pump and Remco has hung them out to dry!
I have to agree. I've heard of at least 5 of the pumps failing while towing. In four of the cases the owners caught it in time, on the fifth the first indication they had was smoke and flames coming from the Toad. They did get it unhitched before it melted the back cap on the RV, car was a total loss.

Make sure the dash light for the RV is also hooked up. Remco's limited warranty is for one year/10,000 miles, but doesn't cover if transmission has +40,000 miles on it.

Bob & Donna

Tags
toad