Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-05-2014, 02:19 PM   #1

2005 Ford freestyle

Hi all, I am going to try to tow a 05 ford freestyle AWD behind my class A. Does anyone know what kind of hitch to get can I tow this car with all 4 on the ground? I am really new to this and wanted to see if any of you veterans could give me some advice. Thank you all and have a great New Year......

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2014, 03:10 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Unfortunately;

According to Ford's towing guide, the Freestyle is not towable 4 down.

Towing Guides | fleet.ford.com

Remco states it cannot be towed 4 down.

Remco : The Towing Experts

Route 66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 03:24 PM   #3

That vehicle cannot be flat towed or even towed on a tow dolly. Your only option for that vehicle is to keep the engine running??????? who knows if that has been done or to put it on a trailer. Even removing the rear driveshaft to stick it on a dolly wont work due to the rear coupler unit for the AWD system. It needs the driveshaft spinning and the DEM to be powered up for the lube pump to work.
Old 01-06-2014, 09:04 AM   #4

Thank you

Thank you not the answer I wanted to hear, lol but thank you all for your help!
Old 01-06-2014, 03:07 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by theloosecabo View Post
Thank you not the answer I wanted to hear, lol but thank you all for your help!
Better to hear it here for free vs a replacement transmission at the cost of $6K and or a replacement rear diff unit at $3500.
Old 01-06-2014, 09:26 PM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
Non towable 2005 Freestyle is why we traded it in on a 2008 Taurus X. The "X" tows trouble free.
US Gear UBS
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 02:25 PM   #7

Help!!!!! Please

Ok since my 2005 Freestyle can not be towed with all 4 on the ground. Does anyone know of any 3rd row seat vehicle that can be towed with all four on the ground. Thank you all
Old 01-15-2014, 04:31 PM   #8

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by theloosecabo View Post
Ok since my 2005 Freestyle can not be towed with all 4 on the ground. Does anyone know of any 3rd row seat vehicle that can be towed with all four on the ground. Thank you all
If you like the Freestyle, find a Taurus X with the same features and tow it to your hearts content. I'm sure the Flex will also fill the bill for your third seat requirement but I believe it is a little heavier than the Freestyle/Taurus X.
US Gear UBS
Old 01-15-2014, 04:41 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by FleetMan View Post
If you like the Freestyle, find a Taurus X with the same features and tow it to your hearts content. I'm sure the Flex will also fill the bill for your third seat requirement but I believe it is a little heavier than the Freestyle/Taurus X.
+1. The Taurus X is a very nice vehicle. The drivetrain is much more refined with a lot more power. Fuel economy should be better also.
Old 01-15-2014, 09:27 PM   #10

Freightliner Owners Club
A little further clarification for those not familiar with the Ford Freestyle, 2005 - 2007 and the Taurus X from 2008 on until it was replaced with a version of the Explorer. The Freestyle and the Taurus X are essentially the same vehicle except the "X" has an updated engine and transaxle which is compatible with four down towing whereas the Freestyle with the CVT transmission was not.
US Gear UBS
Old 01-16-2014, 02:57 PM   #11

Quote:
A little further clarification for those not familiar with the Ford Freestyle, 2005 - 2007 and the Taurus X from 2008 on until it was replaced with a version of the Explorer. The Freestyle and the Taurus X are essentially the same vehicle except the "X" has an updated engine and transaxle which is compatible with four down towing whereas the Freestyle with the CVT transmission was not.
They are not even close to a similar design other than the type of vehicle it is. The powertrain is very different, the AWD system is different, the brakes are different, suspension, and pretty much everything else. It is just a Taurus station wagon while the Freestyle was a 500 wagon.
Old 01-16-2014, 10:24 PM   #12

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesrxx951 View Post
They are not even close to a similar design other than the type of vehicle it is. The powertrain is very different, the AWD system is different, the brakes are different, suspension, and pretty much everything else. It is just a Taurus station wagon while the Freestyle was a 500 wagon.
Compare the body style, size and creature comforts of a 2005 Freestyle with a 2008 Taurus X. Yes, the mechanical components are not the same but the original poster asked about a three seat vehicle similar to his 2005 Freestyle. We really liked the 2005 Freestyle we had but traded it in for the 2008 Taurus X because the 2008 is towable four down, It looks almost identical to the 2005, has three rows of seats configured just like our 2005 and the rest of the interior is very similar. If the exterior dimensions are different, they sure are not apparent to the naked eye.
US Gear UBS
Old 01-17-2014, 03:35 PM   #13

Quote:
Compare the body style, size and creature comforts of a 2005 Freestyle with a 2008 Taurus X. Yes, the mechanical components are not the same but the original poster asked about a three seat vehicle similar to his 2005 Freestyle. We really liked the 2005 Freestyle we had but traded it in for the 2008 Taurus X because the 2008 is towable four down, It looks almost identical to the 2005, has three rows of seats configured just like our 2005 and the rest of the interior is very similar. If the exterior dimensions are different, they sure are not apparent to the naked eye.
The only similarity is that they both are a sport wagon style vehicle. This can include a suburu outback and other types of similar vehicles. I also owned a Freestyle and know very well the Taurus and Taurus X lines. However they are very different vehicles other than their design intended purpose. Yes they are 7 passenger and so is the Ford Explorer which shares the same platform as the Flex that is also very similar to the Ford Freestyle and Taurus X. Interiors were all similar with pretty much most of the front drive vehicles of that era so that is also a poor comparison.
Old 01-17-2014, 09:30 PM   #14

Freightliner Owners Club
James, I don't know what else to say. Our 2005 Freestyle and our 2008 Taurus X are very similar in size, appearance and interior accommodations. Yes, the mechanical things are a different story, that is why we traded the '05 in on the '08. I even dug out the sales brochures for both vehicles for comparison. In some of the shots, if the '05 did not say "Freestyle" on the license plate most people would have a hard time distinguishing between the two. If the vehicles you had were not similar in size, appearance and interior accommodations - so be it, ours were.

US Gear UBS