Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-01-2005, 09:41 AM   #1

We bought a new Accord 6-cyl automatic and might want to tow it behind the MH. We've been towing an '89 Accord with no trouble. The '05 manual states speed not greater than 35mph for a max of 50 miles. The shifting thing is the same for all Hondas, to the best of my knowledge.

Obviously, the manual limitation is a non-starter. Has anyone obtained the official word from Honda about the '05 models, or have any experience doing it???
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2005, 09:41 AM   #2

We bought a new Accord 6-cyl automatic and might want to tow it behind the MH. We've been towing an '89 Accord with no trouble. The '05 manual states speed not greater than 35mph for a max of 50 miles. The shifting thing is the same for all Hondas, to the best of my knowledge.

Obviously, the manual limitation is a non-starter. Has anyone obtained the official word from Honda about the '05 models, or have any experience doing it???
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 11:02 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Official word I received this morning is the only Honda that is going to be recommended for towing 4 down starting with 2005 models is the CRV. If you tow any of the others and have a problem that Honda can say was caused by towing you will not be covered. Not worth the risk in my opinion. I know people are doing it but I just don't think it's worth takinng a chance on warranty issues.
Nedra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 01:37 PM   #4

I tow a 2004 Honda Accord EX with no problem, but initially had the same concerns as you. I actually got towing instructions by e-mailing Honda. I was told the 35MPH for 50 miles is the extent of their testing. In fact, all Hondas can be towed, manual or automatic and have been that way since the first ones were imported.
In order to tow, you must apply emergency brake, start car and run thhrough all FORWARD gears for about 30 seconds per gear (at idle). Put into neutral and let idle for another minute or so. Turn off ignition, but do not lock the ignition and leave the transmission in neutral. RELEASE THE EMERGENCY BRAKE. You are good to go for 8 hours at any speed you want to travel. Speed is not an issue, only the time, which includes any time you may be stopped as well as actual driving time. Also, be sure your radio, fan, etc are all off!
I typically stop after 4-5 hours and do the same proceedured again...just to be sure there is plenty of fluid still in all parts of the transmission. Honda has reference describing all this, but I do not remember exactly where I got it on the web or email.
Remember if you use a Brake Buddy or some other braking assist, pump the brake a few times to bleed the system of vacuum so brakes do not lock the first few times you stop.
Enjoy!
KTYSTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 03:49 AM   #5

THE HONDA ELEMENT IS SET UP FOR TOWING.....
MONTANA RED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 05:25 PM   #6

The owner's manual for my 02 CRV states that max towing speed is 65 MPH or transmission damage will result. Also, elsewhere on this forum are post indicating instructions from Honda that the 05 Odessey is not towable, even on a dolly. I would definitly check with Honda prior to jumping into anything - could be an expensive mistake.

2007 2350 Phoenix Cruiser
timz61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 04:38 AM   #7

We had the same concern for our 2004 Accord. I called Honda, explained it to them and they sent me a letter which outlined the procedure to follow for towing. Although they do not "recommend" towing they do not advise against it. The person I spoke to stated they don't recommend ONLY because they haven't tested the models themselves. The only model they say specifically not to tow four down is the Ridgeline and the Hybrid models.

Hope this helps.

Take care,

2004 Newmar Kountry Star 3560
RobAndTeresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 04:06 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
I am towing a 2005 Honda Pilot 4 down no problem. Honda says ALL 2005's will tow 4 down with the exception of the 2 seater (2000?)

There is a short procedure to follow (takes about 4 minutes and involves shifting down through all the gears, then back up to "N" and letting it idle there for 3 minutes).

Doc Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 04:36 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
None of the Honda hybreds can be towed.

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 12:13 PM   #10

I have been towing a 2002 Acura TL for about 10,000 miles with no problems. However, the procedures described by Doc Mark and Ktystr differ slightly from the one I use. I wonder if either of these gentlemen would be kind enough to post the source of their procedure. If you received any email or document from Honda, would you please post it also.

The procedure I use is to run the engine for three minutes and shift through all of the gears ending with Drive to Neutral. Sometimes I run the engine for three minutes in Park while I am connecting the towbar and then run through the gears. Other times I run through the gears and then let engine run for three minutes in Neutral. So you see we have three slightly different procedures.

Annapolis, MD
JamesOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 02:11 PM   #11

I just got back from towing my 2005 Honda CRV on a 6000 miles trip with no problems. Like most people I run it thru the forward gears before going to neutral. My traveling days might run as many as 350 miles, I don't stop to run it during the day but will run it the next morning before leaving again. I haved towed different cars for the last 25 years without any problem on any of them.

300 HP Cat
Miserabull is offline   Reply With Quote